Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Your hardy Bill! Couldn't survive that especially turning it off in March, sometimes it's still freezing in June in this country.

In fairness, an hour last night did the job and we were nice and toasty then.

I'd say I will be freezing tonight aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

First birdsong at 6.40 am ...Blackberry picking before 7 am... and the dawn over the flat ocean... Of course my camera was at home...

Mountains tops in sky and ocean... and puffball pink and white clouds fallen into the mirroring ocean..

The emergence of THE MIDGE alas brought me back to earth...

But this place is the loveliest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm quite happy with the weather this week. No rain here in Kerry since Monday morning and that for us is celebration worthy. Chillier than I'd like and dull at times but gloriously DRY and a nice autumnal feel about. I'm still wearing fairly light clothes as things like boots and heavy jackets remain firmly in the attic until after Halloween. I'm lucky to live in a warm house and work in a warm building. But you'd need a brief shot of heat every night so in comparison with other Septembers which have been mild and quite summery, this one isn't so good. But as long as it stays dry here in Kerry, we're happy.😀

That said, today was a peach but chilly now again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather here in Meath has been very nice since about Tuesday, too chilly for my liking but plenty of sunshine, feels warm in the early afternoon if you get a shelter from that nippy breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Worked on site at Ratheniska today, preparing for the NPC.

It was a beautiful autumn day, but the sun is at a noticeably lower angle now and it was quite cool early and late, with an edge to the light breeze. Max temp on the van was 17C, so probably a shade lower than that in reality.

I haven't conceded to anything other than polo shirts and light jackets for work yet, but I think a hooded fleece and body warmer will go into the van from Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I think I'm just a warm creature. My kids are the same. A sweaty family lol. Even tonight my daughter who is 7 didn't want a quilt over her ,just a light blanket and my son during the warmer months of the Yr just likes a thin sheet over him. My house warms quite well in sunshine, even now after todays sunshine its 20c inside my house ( 8c atm outside ). During summer I tend to suffer from athletes foot brought on by the warmth which can be a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

1c at 3am Mount Dillon.

Only 5 weeks ago we hit 32.1c. The changing of the seasons.

My years in Orkney changed my thermostat. Adapt or die time..

Just after six here and for the first time I am scrabbling to find fingerless gloves and socks. A definite sharp nip in the air.... NOT lighting a fire though.

FIRST BIRDSONG; 6.52 am

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Mount Dillon was reporting 0c at 0700.

A beautiful sunny but freezing morning.

All the birds are back in garden this morning starving and looking for food for first time in months.

I'll have to fill the feeder this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Put a fire down last night. Chilly enough. Cloudy this morning. 9C at the moment.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

-0.3C on its AWS on WOW.

Earliest air frost for the Republic of Ireland since August 1993 if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful morning here in Castlebar with sunshine and just some high cloud. Little or no wind. A day to be out and about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a very cloudy morning here in Meath, hopefully some sun soon before it gets too cold to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This has to be one of the sunniest Septembers of my lifetime. It is just there, every single day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unbelievable run of weather since July really

we will pay for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

😅 we will absolutely pay for it. Hopefully in the form of lots of snow instead of rain!

Out of interest, what would make them so hungry this morning compared to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its been a good September's day: Sunshine Hours

• Advertisement

It's always the case that after a very cold night the birds will flock to known places where there is food. Natural instinct I'd say.

I had a Robin and blue tit fighting over a bird feeder that was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A fairly cool 3.3c here in Southern Laois at the moment. Clear and calm. I dare to wonder if last week's rains had not happened, how much colder would we be right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

A blissfully quiet morning. Calm and serene. Spent an hour and a half picking blackberries and just peaceful and ... YOU know... No wind and no rain ... days to be treasured and used.. My freezer is what they call jam-packed... an incredible crop this year's weather has produced.

And my feet are bitterly cold.. autumn is here.

Back off to London now... My English nationality has reclaimed me... I was into double figures when Elizabeth was crowned..

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful day in Greystones. 18.0c atm. Just back from the sea....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This was Galway Bay yesterday. The Atlantic was as flat calm as I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like the final figure was -0.5C. Here's a graph showing the date of the first observed air frost in the Republic of Ireland for every year since 1981. 2021 is an estimate as not all climate station is in for that year yet but I think it's a pretty safe assumption that September and October 2021 were frostless.

The 1991-2020 average indicated by the transparent red line is October 3rd. 2022 is a fortnight early with September 17th and was the earliest since 2010.

I specifically say Republic of Ireland as Northern Ireland has had earlier since 2010 - Katesbridge for example, an infamous frost hollow, had -1.9C on 24th August 2014.

EDIT: Mt Dillon had an apparent -0.6C on 30 August 2010 that was not mentioned in the bulletin so I've fixed 2010 now and 2022 is the earliest since 2010 instead of 1993.

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Visited loughcrew cairns also known as the hill of the witch yesterday. Highest point in meath 276 m. Lovely view of the surrounding area. Neolithic tombs 5000 yrs old. Was a lovely day and area.

Thanks. Did a bit of reading up and it seems in frosty/cold weather they have to store extra fat to survive the nights. I mistakenly thought the advice to feed birds in cold weather because the ground was frozen and they couldn't get at worms.

• Advertisement

They are just like us; need more food when it is cold.. and rare we get frozen ground. Hard for me to feed them here with my cats..but abundant unfarmed land so abundant wild food.. .

Advertisement