Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

A lovely post Meteorite58. You are clearly a person in harmony with nature and with nature's changes and it comes across very eloquently in the way you write. You have many interesting pursuits for all seasons and here's wishing you enjoyment of them. Love the photo of the bottle.😊

But as I said earlier it's too early to start embracing autumn /winter and I'm one of those people who need light and warmth, which is why I've always felt that I won't end my days in this climate. I agree that seasonal transitions can be nice but the weather is literally going from one extreme to the other now and that is unsettling. By the time we all get used to it, if indications are correct and we get weeks of it, it could swing back suddenly to heat wave conditions in a months time and we're all going WTF again. Such is the erratic and crazy nature of our climate and unfortunately not all of us are as accepting of it as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Love the autumn far more than the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Local intense rainfall (50mm), and squalls likely. 

See yellow warnings also.

Valid: 04:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 08:00 Sunday 04/09/2022

Issued: 11:36 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Waterford

Issued: 11:36 Saturday 03/09/2022

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Ireland

Heavy rain will move northwards across much of the country tonight, clearing from the north and northwest on Sunday morning.

Some torrential downpours are expected in parts, resulting in surface flooding. There is also the potential for thunderstorm activity and lightning strikes.

Valid: 01:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 10:00 Sunday 04/09/2022

Issued: 08:39 Friday 02/09/2022

Updated: 10:50 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Advertisement

Latest update

Turning very wet in many areas tonight. There will be clear spells and scattered showers at first, but more persistent showery rain, accompanied by local thunder and strengthening southeasterly winds, will then sweep northwards over the country. The rain will be very heavy in places, bringing a possibility of localised flooding with some lightning strikes. Lowest temperatures of 7 to 11 degrees. Becoming blustery in many areas, especially along eastern and northern coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Same as me ,especially when it's in the mood and feels seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't mind a day like today when it's well forecast for everyone.

Actually we have had a lovely lazy relaxing morning. My 6 year old thinks its great that I'm not rushing everyone out the door🤣

I do feel sorry for people at electric picnic. Usually they get good weather even if we have had a crap summer, they are very unlucky this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've put the heating on for the first time since beginning of May as my dad is really feeling the cold today. An absolute write off a day and a very chilly 11C outside. At least tomorrow should be a bit dryer and warmer.

It has always been my favourite season..."Mists and mellow fruitfulness" Colour and cloudscapes.. Glowing fires and bright candles... ahhhh! And more challenging in different ways than summer and spring with its over exuberant energy.. But less demanding..Early this morning when I was out picking blackberries there was a hint of hoar on the wide- bladed grass in sheltered places..... and that zest in the air. It felt seasonal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry and bright day here in Castlebar however the strong sunshine is bubbling up some very high tops on the clouds. Heavy showers later perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some amount of rain in waterford. The greenhouse has a gutter and the right bucket of 20 litres was overflowing and the new 100l waterbutt for the left had about 10 inches and that was after I ran out at 1.30 to close the tap.

Gray and noticeably cooler as well with the rain starting again. Hopefully this rain will put out the fires on the Comeraghs and Blackstairs mountains.

I confess to the first hot water bottle of the season.. It was distinctly chilly picking blackberries at first light. No rain here ...yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I confess to loving days such as this. With all the good weather of the last month, I have loads of outside jobs done on the house and garden and as today is wet and cold, I am relaxing indoors. Reading, tea, cake and later we are for going out for dinner. The garden needed this rain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could have probably done with a rainfall warning today for the east coast. Started raining in Greystones at 0530 and has not stopped since. 28.0mm so far today with rainfall rate of 29.8mm/hr atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Absolutely dreadful day here in Dublin. Supposed to clear this evening but then more heavy rain overnight and the morning. A day for reading/cinema/tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yeah bucketing down here near Rathdrum too, some very heavy falls in the past 2 hours and the radar is showing a very heavy band sitting over us for another while yet. Novelty has worn off this rain very quickly!

So beautiful out here. What an incredible range of weather we get in one small country...... All ready for anything here . Stay as dry as you can !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Certainly is, took the kids to see "Tad the lost explorer and the curse of the mummy" in IMC Dun Laoghaire. Kids gorged themselves on rubbish there and loved the movie, stoves lit now we are back home and garden getting much needed rain. The summer was brilliant so not complaining about todays weather at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Gray here still in Waterford but the sun he trying hard to get through. Temp is going back up and the breeze is starting to pick up a bit. It's a cool clean breeze and good at getting that stale hot air out of the house. Might actually be cool enough to get a few hours sleep later.

Everything is soo parched around here you can nearly hear the plants and trees sucking up the rain from last night and today. Everything seems a little greener today, perkier and cleaner. Hopefully there is enough light in the next few weeks to turn the last of the tomatoes and peppers from green to red. Not been a good year for them and hearing the same from others. At least the lettuce and greens have had a good year and some starting to bolt, still plenty for salads etc.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath and Monaghan

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Further falls of heavy rain this evening.
    • Valid: 17:08 Saturday 03/09/2022 to 20:00 Saturday 03/09/2022
    • Issued: 17:08 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs has really upped the ante for rainfall tonight over the East. I would think electric picnic is hanging by a thread this evening as to whether it will be cancelled

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has stopped now in Greystones. 33.0mm. Wind has gotten up. Gusting 34 knots.

THUNDER! That startled me! So much I wondered what it was....

So. West Coast joins the maeistrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Cancelled? Tonight's deluge doesn't arrive in laois till 3am ish

And the wind has followed the thunder so the tranquillity has ended with the falling of darkness over land and ocean. West Mayo offshore ...and the coming of autumn sees my strength wane.. The closer to nature the greater te synchronicity.

And heavy rain wondrously hard on windows,,, TRULY autumn is here...No doubts now of that,, not because met ie says so but the weather this year does...

Great to see the rain proper. If memory serves me well irish water loses 40% to leaks. In my part of Donegal it must be 90% ha because we had water restrictions from 11pm to 10am during July even though we never experienced anything close to drought conditions. So let it piss from the high heavens because there’s nothing more annoying than water restrictions haha

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Waterford

Issued: 19:20 Saturday 03/09/2022

was 3am earlier. Models still cant decide if its waterford or wexford and beyond that's going to get the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dodged alot of the heavier rain today - AWS reports just 3.0mm since 10am, which I think is a slight over-read.

Some sunshine eventually this evening and it felt warm in that even though temperatures never got above 17c.

Not much of a breeze around - top gust 13mph today and general speeds between 3mph and 6mph.

Advertisement