Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

26mm I recorded today. I'm sure the trees etc will be happy....

Thank god it’s raining. Have 2 wells and one went dry yesterday, if the other went dry I would be in serious trouble for cows drinking water. Grass gone very scarce, hopefully growth can rebound quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

God the doom and despair on here in response to one wet day is nuts!

We've had how many (15?) consecutive drier than normal months...

Did people genuinely think that was going to last forever or what?!

Reality is, climatology would tell us we're long overdue a really wet 6 month (or longer) spell. So I suppose there's lots of time for the moaners to get used to it.

Anyhow for gardens, reservoirs and farmers, this rain is greatly welcome.

Funny enough we've had only 2mm so far in Roscommon, but that will change tonight I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Becoming very windy in areas overnight, with a short period of very strong winds possible, causing disruption. 
    • Valid: 04:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 09:00 Sunday 04/09/2022
    • Issued: 23:13 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good to see posts like this.... reality...Out here offshore West Mayo, we are outside this weather for now but had some useful rain yesterday, The farmers have had a good crop of hay and as you rightly say, all needs replenishing.. Green Ireland ! Just been on met;ie and the map is amazing.

• Advertisement

And heavy rain now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

36.4mm rain recorded here in Greystones since midnight. Thought that was a bit mad/wrong but then looked at WOW. Looks like general Dublin area had right lashing of rain with some big rain totals! Also looks many areas under orange warning had significantly less rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

The wind and rain was crazy in north county Dublin around 4.30 until just after 5. Very exposed here but felt almost Orange wind levels right in the coast. Suddenly dropped off just after 5 then...was able to get back to sleep. 65 km/h gust at the airport I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

50 knot gust here in Greystones around that time (...at 0422 to be precise!).

Beautiful morning now. Clear/sunny and relatively calm.

Hours of hard heavy rain and a gray morning with clouds....... and clouds of midge. They love this weather.

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

32mm since i checked at 11.30 last night here in meath, well over 50mm in 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tell me about, the baby and myself woke up twice with noise of wind and rain last night.

Looks like we git about 10mm in an hour so not surprised it woke us.

What I wasn't expecting was to wake this morning to gin blue skies!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Completely slept through that wind and rain 😅

Looks like we got about 26mm of rain between 2am and 5am last night.

No wonder we were awake half the night!

Rainfall accumulated totals for Dublin since midnight.

Glasnevin ACS - 38.7mm

Phoenix Park ACS - 38.6mm

Casement - 32.9mm

Shanganagh ACS - 29.6mm

Dublin Apt - 27.8mm

Some higher totals on WOW from some PWS in Dublin.

61.7mm in Portmarnock

58.2mm in Blanchardstown

51.8mm at Castaheany

51.3mm at both Milltown and Churchtown

Appreciate how a weather station is mounted can dramatically effect rain totals, so they may not be highly accurate. Still, a good wetting!

Yeah I don't bother with PWS, only official. Too much randomness for me to consider, granted rain isn't as greatly affected as say temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford
    • Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Heavy rain at times this evening and early tonight with spot flooding in places
    • Valid: 18:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 01:00 Monday 05/09/2022
    • Issued: 10:46 Sunday 04/09/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

28mm overnight + 17mm yesterday = 45mm in my backyard.

Those totals that DOCARCH posted seem a bit high for amounts after midnight so I think it might include Saturday’s rainfall too?

Beautiful day in Wicklow now! Doing the Wicklow Head walk atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A night of heavy rain kept me awake for much of the night with gutters overflowing. It's a nice day now, plenty of sun and feeling warm and much of today should remain dry so make the most of it. It will remain potentially unsettled or very unsettled over the coming 10 to 14 days, no signs of a respite from the Atlantic even deep into FI. Summer is well and truly over.

Close to 70mm in Greystones between yesterday and today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Summer took a long time starting this year, but it was definitely a warm, sunny, even hot summer. Shorts, t shirts most days. Can't believe there were no hose pipe bans. Can't remember any wind.

Definitely feels like Autumn today. Jumper and jeans. Rain coat weather. Windy. Yesterday was wet all day. I'd forgotten what continuous rain looked like.

North Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful bright sunny morning in Kerry with a steady breeze. Another 6mm last night on top of an estimated 22mm for the 3rd. Ponds filling up nicely and there is a freshness already in the lawns, the leaf fall continues apace, cant recall seeing this many leaves fall so early. Hopefully will stay dry until this evening.

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Derry

Thunderstorms may cause some localised disruption on Sunday night

Valid: 20:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 04:00 Monday 05/09/2022

Status Yellow - Rain & Thunderstorm Warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain along with a few thunderstorms will spread northwards over Ireland. Lightning and spot flooding in places.

Valid: 19:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 03:00 Monday 05/09/2022

The summer is still here at the Botantical Gardens, in North Dublin.

I did try and alter pictures but I can't.

Sure just turn your phones around it will be grand😉

We go every year to sculpture in context exhibition. The 6 year old does be in his element finding them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Quite a nice day here in East Cork up until mid afternoon, sunny and mild but windy. Gone very autumnal now, heavy clouds, strong breeze and rain on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone come across many stories of wind damage from last night? A large branch snapped from a tree into my sister's house. I asked if there was anything else on her road she said someone's BBQ set went through their window. Another had a trampoline take flight. This was in Swords.

• Advertisement

Nice bit of colour tonight in Dublin before the rain comes.

Advertisement