Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am becoming more and more nocturnal as the gales sweep in. I can now detect the airt ( Orkney for direction) from the sound.. Another wild wuthering withering wet night.. A challenging reality.

I need to get to the turf bags today that are out at the back area that faces north. Now THAT will be an interesting excursion.

And my SAD lamp is helping. Look them up? Not expensive and a real support in the darker days of winter. Natural remedy

OUCH! What a BLAST that was...old saying that what can't be cured must be endured... somehow

And it IS exhilarating and challenging.. WILD... and louder it gets...

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Another day of misery here in the South East. There's a band of rain out to the Irish sea and the edge of it just won't shift away. Drier conditions look to be following from the west so hopefully it clears soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

14° on 26th November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

14°c at any point in winter is not very unusual in Ireland. Also you could say that we are technically not in winter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

We’ve had 14C many times in December and January over the years. Definitely not unusual due to our geographic location and an ocean beside us.

• Advertisement

On an optimistic note, I've been looking at the sunset times for here in Dundalk. Todays sunset is at 16:12 while the earliest sunsets are due on the 13th and 14th of December where its 16:02. So only another 10 minutes to lose in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interesting comments the last page or so...

But picked out Bill's comment and have to say I disagree somewhat, no way would I have preferred the rain more spread-out throughout the year! I'd much rather backend the load we get of rain into a few months like October and November and be done with it for the most part.

Of all the weather we get, relentless wind is my peeve hate. I'd hate to live in the west or up in the flatlands of the northern midlands where calm is a rarity, or so it seems.

Now we do get a lot of calm.. especially these times at night.. whole nights with not a breath and ... ocean breezes are very bracing... I would never live anywhere but the West Coast.

West Mayo offshore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very strong southwest winds with gusts of 80-100km/h, strongest near coasts and on high ground with potential for wave overtoppping.

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 26/11/2022 to 22:00 Saturday 26/11/2022

Just read the warning for tonight. The farmer next door has had cattle out grazing... At the end of November....

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Would I be right in saying that this wind event will not bring much rain? I am planning a long walk tonight but I'd prefer just wind. Galway.

And is there any way for me to remove all Grace's eagles when viewing weather threads on the mobile? 😂 I think it's an image linked to a signature link? All I see are eagles...

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Off for the night now so no more birds!

They are a protected species...

Sure don't mind me. Work away. Maybe you could tweak the link somehow that does not show the picture? I am not very technical when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think there is a setting in boards you can set to hide signatures. Or at least there used to be.

Overcast and mild in southern Laois - max of 13.0c on the AWS and not much lower than that presently. Damp day out there.

Windy on the Galway prom. High tide too so wild seas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

It might have been mild today but really it was pointless.

So windy and that horrible damp air, you wouldn't stay out in it for long.

That's why I just had to hit the shops for some Black Friday deals🤷‍♀️😉.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Gotten noticeably warmer here in Carrick, wind has pick up some gusts but not damaging

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today could be the last fairly mild day for quite a while. From tomorrow temperatures will begin to slide away slowly day by day, in the single digits from Monday/Tuesday and perhaps only mid single digits from next weekend onwards if the models stick with the colder theme all the way into the first half of December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd say coastal regions of Kerry and Mayo have roughly the same levels of 'rigorous extremes'. Inland Kerry and Mayo would be more different, and more so felt given that Mayo, in general, is a colder county than Kerry. Strong, warm winds never feels as brutal as colder winds of same strength for example.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I would disagree slightly regarding the rain in Ireland. Rarely is it ever 'incessant'. The last known continuous rainfalls I recall here in Galway was back in November 2009. Ordinarily, singular rainfall events in Ireland rarely last no more than a few hours at most but it does often look like it is raining when isn't, given the prevalence of those slate grey low skies we endure.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Probably ,, I did not live on the coast in Kerry,but mountains an d now offshore . I enjoy it though . and the challenge is good. Keeps me alert. Mayo has always been my favourite county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Met Eireann saying this for me now ...

And it's lashing rain !!!

Weather weary.. It is the NOISE. Non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

These foam ear plugs are cheap and very good to take the edge off the sound.

Heavy hailstones in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Torrential hail shower and a gusty wind. Was a pretty benign day up until now.

Ah thanks, but I need to hear what is going on especially in bad weather with critters and all. I have ear plugs somewhere..

Violent hailstone shower in Galway. Large hailstones too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Advertisement