Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat pump vendor wants additional 1000 if bought with grant

Options
  • 01-09-2022 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I would like to know if I'm being ripped off.

Would like to install a heat-pump in an apartment and get the government grant of 3,500. Approx costs are

-400 for SEAI assessor (200 paid by grant on completion)

-6,400 for replacing doors and windows to achieve the minimum heat loss (no grant for this because project is too small for one-stop-shop)

-6,500 for air-source heat-pump

I was all set to go when the heat-pump vendor asked if I'm applying for grant and now want an additional 1K. I was shocked, asked why and the answer was additional paper work .. and when pushed further said that there were additional tests. I don't think the latter is true ... is the vendor just gobbling 1/3rd of the grant because they can or much additional expenses could there be?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

If it were me....contact the SEAI and play dumb and say you'd agreed a price and then they increased when heard there was a grant. Ask is there grounds for that. They will confirm that shouldn't happen. Send that confirmation to the company. Then you can decide if you jump ship knowing they are chancing their arm. So if they didn't the those additional tests (which I'd assume check for airtighness, that heatpump is working...and others here have terrifying stories of badly installed heatpumps costing a fortune to run), you could end up with a bad setup. Not scaring you from heatpumps, just bad installers.

I've know idea if the costs themselves are good. Don't have a heatpump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I don't agree with the level of additional cost but there is some additional cost for the supplier for forms etc.... The install however should be identical.

The grant is 6.5k (unless you are doing air to air?) at the moment though. If you are happy with their quote and have references for their work you need to weight it all up.

If happy with supplier you could just bargain the extra down.

Advertisement