Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey INEC 24th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Of course they can be. Milo Yiannopoulos being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not sure I could rate but I always thought and still do think Vauxhall & I is basically one of ‘the’ most underrated albums ever…and ‘probably’ my personal favourite…from memory hearing Now My Heart Is Full was one of the first times I thought interested in investing more time into investigating Morrisseys music. Id just been a smiths fan to that point…

I think on Vauxhall, Morrissey’s voice, songwriting and the clever empathetic and intuitive band and the arrangements courtesy of Boz Boorer really come together as an incredible tour de force, it’s pretty sublime from start to end….lyrics and melody, arrangements and musicianship really fantastic throughout.

in my own list I’d probably have Quarry in the top 5…that record always struck a chord with me… he played a brilliant show in Dublin Castle just after that was released and the songs sounded pretty majestic and energetic live.

Mexico, Friday Mourning and it’s Hard To Walk Tall When You’re Small never even made the final cut but it shows show much of a stride he and band were in as songwriters and recording artists when they can release a bonus CD…

don’t make fun of daddy’s voice

its hard to walk tall…

teenage dad…

munich air disaster 1958

friday mourning

never played symphonies

my life is a succession..

I am two people

Mexico…

all appeared on a deluxe two CD version of that album released later…and many were staples of the live set for much of that tour. Jerry Finn’s production is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

I must seek out that 2cd edition of Quarry....I saw him in Manchester around that time and he was on fire.

I believe Alan Whyte is back in current band, he was his songwriting foil as part of Vauxhall band too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

yes Good news Alain being back…Im a massive Whyte fan, love his style of guitar playing and he’s a very accomplished songwriter…just seems to have a knack and clever way with a melody, chorus and middle eight.

I don’t know why but I could never take to Jesse Tobias.. especially his playing on the older songs live, just seemed a bit heavy and ham fisted….

There was a magic with the lineup of Butterworth, Boorer, Whyte, Day, Farrell…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes, Vauxhall is pretty fantastic. Basically my top 3 are interchangeable - all quite a bit ahead of fourth place.

I was at the Dublin Castle show for You Are The Quarry. Roasting day; just back from Crete. Agree that some of the B-sides were better than the final album selection. Mexico in particular - and wasn't included on Swords compilation. That Quarry 2CD version is worth getting.

• Advertisement

For the reissues, Morrissey messed around with tracklistings.

Viva Hate and Bona Drag - not improved

Your Arsenal - single mix of Tomorrow. Slightly better

Southpaw Grammar & Maladjusted - the former was expanded with four more tracks. Maladjusted got the six B-sides added and a couple of tracks removed (Roy's Keen, Papa Jack). Both albums enhanced by this revisionism.

Interesting Vauxhall & I was untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seeing as I wasn't allow mention it in the Queen thread I wonder will Morrissey sing The Queen is dead in two weeks? Actually sang it the last time he was in the INEC far as I know? a few years ago in the 3arena as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

Safe enough in the Kingdom of Kerry not sure about in Blighty atm...wouldn't put in past him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just a heads up for anyone who's getting the train to this gig. Got an email from Irish Rail today.

Iarnrod Eireann Irish Rail wish to advice you that due to engineering works between Portarlington and Limerick Junction on Saturday 24th September 2022 a number of service alterations are in place including bus transfers.

This will cause delays and I cant seem to find any info if this will be going on the Sunday as well.

I'm gonna cancel the train and get a bus no point anymore if its gonna take longer then the bus which is cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Any support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

i think I hate this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I like Morrissey! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Yeah let's get it back on track. For anyone going to the gig there is pre gig drinks in Jimmy Briens Bar beforehand. I'm sure there is a Morrissey fan meet up on the Friday also TBC that one.

I know I engaged earlier but it would be great if we could collectively ignore one individual and move on.

Looking forward to this gig. Found a great website that makes spotify playlists from set lists: https://setify.co/s/63b50a0b

I used to do this myself manually!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

God no, sure Morrissey doesn’t like Morrissey 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

To those interested there is a Morrissey pre gig meet up in Jimmy Briens and possibly one on the Friday too, venue for the Friday night meet up to be confirmed.

Shoplifters of the World unite eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

If you could pick one song for Moz to play in Killarney, what would it be?

Might be a change of pace here, and get us back to talking about the gig!

Gotta be Will Never Marry for me, I have always wanted to hear it live. Hopefully with Alain back in the band the set will throw up some old gems, like Mute Wtness, Certain People I Know and Late Night, Maudlin Street! (I know some of these tunes are from before Alain's time, but they have always been personal favorites)

Just over a week to go! :)

I'd like Morrissey to play

Nobody Loves Us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is this a gig in the future?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Shame hes not playing Dublin. Always great live. Could listen to him sing the phone book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Stillill42

He used the term 'far right bigot', an opinion on his politics. No mention of his sexuality. You brought that in. He mentioned Anne Marie Waters in the context of her politics and Morrissey's support for her politics. You brought in her sexuality and the fact that she was an 'immigrant'. Argue that the other poster should keep his opinions on Morrissey and his politics out of a gig thread. You're right. Dispute his view of Moz as a far right bigot, fine. But the homophobia claims are completely out of order based on his comments and you are guilty of completely inflaming the whole discussion. Both of you are out of order and should row back and keep toxic discussions like this out of the music forum, indeed out of all forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Wanting secure borders doesn't make anybody a far-right bigot. Brexit was primarily a vote against uncapped immigration. The majority of England are far right bigots in that case.

The reality is people like you have been socially conditioned into believing racism and bigotry sit upon the grievance hierarchy. You have no problem going to see Win Bulter and having a great time because society has brainwashed you into believing someone on the right or against immigration is worse than a sexual predator / molester. (The people being afraid to speak up for fear of being banded this that and the other prove this but thats another argument. )

Feist had to pack up and go home as she could not be around Win Butler. Yet you think Morrisey whose only crime is having thoughts that differ to yours is the bigger monster.

Well , Robbie Williams recently paid tribute to Morrisey. Debbie Harry went on tour with him. Asop Rocky apparently collaborated with him on his upcoming album. Is your opinion worth more than Debbie Harry and Feist?

Emm.....those quotes were not mine, I was simply pointing out some of the issues in the argument between the 2 principal players in this thread. I'm not quite sure where you're getting your info on my views about Win Butler either. But knock yourself out. You obviously feel strongly about all this. You want to use me to get your views out in the open, be my guest.

You went to the AF gigs and had a good time , correct?

I did not go to Arcade Fire. Your psychic powers appear to be on the blink. But as I say, carry on making **** up.

There's a poster in the AF thread with the same handle so its a case of mistaken identity. My apologies.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119547992/#Comment_119547992

Apology accepted. For the record, I strongly disagree with Morrissey's endorsement of the EDL and most of what he's come out with over the last few years. I also disagree with most of what you said in your post but people are entitled to their opinions.

My apologies. I misspoke. His endorsement of the For Britain party. His support of Tommy Robinson didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Howard Beale and Boooourns - do not post in this thread again

I will be going through this thread later on, but further sanction will follow

Advertisement