Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it the bearings

Options
  • 01-09-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm just looking for a second opinion. When I hold my hybrid bike steady, the back wheel when pressure applied can wobble a bit from left to right. I presume this means the bearings are either gone or near replacing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean there's a flex in the back wheel, or a 'knocking' rock?

depending on the wheel, it might just need to be tightened up a bit. can you post a photo of the section where the axle enters the hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Magicbastarder.

The wheel can be shook easily from left to right when I use a little force (not by much) and I don't notice it when cycling so I was thinking the bearings in the hub were starting to go. I've attached images of the hub.

Post edited by billyhead on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Billy, very first thing I'd check is whether the wheel is moving in the drop outs, or whether the cones in the hub are loose (where the axle goes through the hub).

They might just need to be pinched up.

Here's a video that'll give you a good guide, although it's your rear wheel

Advertisement