Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are these heathers called?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

forget it...i found out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're plain white heather plants sprayed with a coloured paint/dye, horrible, fake looking things. After a while the paint wears off and you're left with a plain white heather again, if it's survived that is.

They do the same thing with cacti for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The link has gone, but I agree with Alun, if they were weird shades of green and orange and blue (not heather purple) then they were the abominations that are sold dyed. If you see lurid coloured cut chrysanths in the supermarket they have also been put in a bucket of dye till they take up the colour.

• Advertisement

OK lesson learned....thanks for the replies. I was hoping to have a rockery bursting with colour. What are my options ...dig them out and plant the real thing? The tips are all white and the died colour remains at the base of each plant so they're still alive.

The link is still working, they're just out of stock. Scroll down far enough and you'll see them.

If it was me, I'd get rid of them and replace with natural coloured ones. They're available in white and various shades of pink and purple.

Oh yes, I scrolled down - those are the ones. If they survive they will be eventually white but not all that interesting. I'd replace them with some more natural coloured ones.

.... would now be an OK time to replace them or should i wait until next year?

• Advertisement

You will be buying potted plants so you can replace them whenever you see suitable heathers for sale. You might be better to wait until the dry spell is over as the ground is exceptionally dry at the moment. If you do plant now, having dug a planting hole pour several litres (depending on what kind of soil you have) of water into it before putting in the plant, this is much more effective than sprinkling water on top which won't make any impression at all. Water generously while the dry spell lasts. Once they are established they will cope with drought very well.

Advertisement