Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes.

The cell/occlusion moved more markedly inland and immediately lost its pep. No thunder or lightning strikes being seen from it now.

However, don't lose hope completely, a another band of pretty violent instability is approaching the south and south west coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

It looks like things are starting up again Meath/WestMeath direction.

We had some fantastic flashes and bangs of thunder in D15 - it has been a long time since I saw a show like that. A house around the corner from us was hit by one of the flashes and a fire truck is currently outside it. I haven't seen it but apparently it took the chimney clean off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The squall line the morning in Navan left intense rain for at least 15-20 mins at 0845. Most darkest of days. Pretty much raining since. It did ease for a short period but its picked up again this afternoon.

The rain is hopping off the ground now (just in time for the school rush traffic). Havent heard any thunder yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

It's pepped up again in South Meath. Moderate to heavy thundery rain in Trim with sporadic flashes of lightning.

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Another cell heading towards the Wicklow coast. Can hear rumbles again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lots of sparks off the arklow coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Drove from Ashbourne to swords, haven't experienced an electrical storm like that in 30 or so years. Almost nighttime dark too. Fantastic show. Irked that I was driving though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Got a few shots of the lightning out at Poolbeg earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

It's mad, I recently drove from Kilcock to Trim. There was heavy, sometimes torrential rain on the way but there was a good 30 seconds to a minute between visible flashes of lightning. Or was just like driving through a standard heavy shower but occasional flashes but in no way severe or anything.

Having said that, the flashes that I could make out were almost all to my right, in other words out in the direction of where you are. It's mad the difference 20km can make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Seemed the storm died a death just as it was getting to me in Dunshaughlin. Still we had about 20 or 30 rumbles in the distance and some faint lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One lovely big boom over athlone.

30 seconds later, a downpour of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I took the lad out to Sportsdirect in wicklow during that, it went completely bonkers with rain, but not as long lasting thunder as earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just after the M1 toll at 2pm and this fork came down and frightened the absolute *** out of me!

Home in Laois now, some clearish sky to the south and can see convection coming up from the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann were so late in the upgrade for thunder storms its laughable posters here were calling it hours before it happened I guess the thunder woke them from their slumber

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

distant rumbles, waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭boardlady

Where are you seeing this? Waiting hopefully in the SW!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Iwastimthe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wonder will that active band though Cork make it to the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Looks like the storm that was off the coast of Wicklow half hour or so ago has continued heading Northwards and isn’t making landfall! Well not in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Getting closer to the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The weather radar on the Met Éireann app shows the progress of the cells of rain and thunder very well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gone very dark in Tralee, very mild and humid, low cloud base with scud trailing very low ,I see storms breaking out overland heading towards us. That's a big storm around Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh dear, wife stuck in Dublin Airport. Flight to Vienna delayed.

First holiday in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

The one near Gort south galway popped out of knowwhere, few loud chap from it as it heads North towards galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

From looking at lightning maps there seems to be some intense activity around Galway bay right now.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

Lightning in Clonmel now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder and lightning now in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

West Co Wexford getting another blast, not much rain, but loads of flashes and rumbles coming up from the south. Seems to die quickly when gets over the land, except over Waterford estuary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Big storm now over clonmel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement