Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Go to here orange Pointing to and ad url of link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning was incredible over Naas with torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

That was the one of the best weather days Iv ever witnessed,dublin 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's amazing how often lightning is misspelled (not on here of course)😁

Fairly low key affair in my part of N Tipp, handful of flashes a couple of rumbles

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hopefully that's it for Galway had enough of noise and blinding lights hope to get a good night's sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That's mad. Thanks for posting it.

Glad I replied to your post now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just seen a strike hitting the same spot about 5 times about a half mile away.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminded me of this.

The second closest strike was about 2 seconds away, there was an unmerciful bang! but didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just thinking, with the frequency of strikes across the country today, there's bound to be some significant damage done in places.

From 12 noon today.

New Moon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just been looking at blitzortung.org. I can't remember ever seeing so many lightning strikes over the Irish Sea in the last 30 years, pretty much the entire area from Dublin across to Holyhead, and down to almost Rosslare to Fishguard has seen a huge number of strikes over the last while.

There wasn't much close to Ashbourne, the closest based on flash to bang time was about a mile, some of the more distant strikes rumbled on for a very considerable time, and for sure, it's been an interesting day at the airport, I'm glad I'm not working on the ramp any more, today would have been very challenging.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I hate to say it, but the sferic system met eireann uses is absolute crap, and most certainly here for the western region.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looking south out the window in Galway city and I see yet another flash in the distance. Dry here at moment.

Had to cycle home through that thunderstorm just as it began at 10pm, Christ almighty it was unpleasant, the drains immediately overflowed and cycling downhill involved going with essentially a river, growing much larger as the drains pumped out water rather than sucked it away.

Strong smell of sewage in a few areas too, rather nasty. I don't ever think I've seen a day with so much thunder and lightning as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Today around 12 there was serious thunder overhead in Wicklow and I heard what sounded like glass cracking. The windows were literally shaking from the force I've never seen anything like it. These are massive triple glazed windows, so wouldn't be easy done. Had to go away for the night but after seeing some of this evenings activity I'm fully expecting to come back to a shattered window from this storm. Mad stuff never even knew that was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Some show here in tallaght tonight,

https://streamable.com/f81c20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I think I got unlucky. I left go karting at Kylemore karting near parkwest at 21:45 yesterday evening. There was a fantastic flash of lightning as I was starting the car, to the west. I drove up the Naas road to the red cow. Saw one more flash along there. One more between junction 9 and 7 of the M50 and four more between there and junction 8 of the M4. From there to Trim, I saw four more flashes, arriving in Trim at 22:30 on the button. Whilst the flashes themselves were fantastic to look at, the thunderstorm was in no way prolific with lightning, quite often there was 4/5 minutes between strikes. Averaged about 10 strikes in 45 minutes or one strike every 4 minutes and 30 seconds...... That's nothing much, by any stretch of the imagination. The individual strikes were very impressive though, I will admit that.

I guess I was spoiled by the multiple storms in Longford during the thundery spell in the summer, when I was usually seeing strikes every 1 to 2 seconds. How quickly have I become spoiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Delighted for all the people who got strikes. I think we got 2 rumbles in athlone. The sleeve bloom thunder shield stopped a lot of storms from reaching us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Noticed the first flash yesterday in Portnarnock N Dublin around noon and it but from there. Had to get on the road around 14:30 and drive to Galway with a stop in Athlone. Wasn't too bad at that time aside from lots of surface water.

It started picking up big time around Ballinasloe at 16:30 with a superb light show as far as about Athenry. Galway was dry. Left Galway around 19:00 and soon out the road it picked back up again with huge flashes to around Ballinasloe again.

Had ro stop again and was back on the road about 20:45 heading for Dublin. The further east I got the more it picked up with intense lightning from Kilcock / Enfield all the way home.

Can't recall when I saw lightning like that before in Ireland, reminded me of summer storms in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Watched the storm here in Donabate from around 10 onwards and earlier than that, watched it off the coast of Skerries go north towards Co Down. Lightning wasn't the most frequent I'd seen in a storm but when it sparked, there seemed to be several intense multiple discharges rolled into one. Thunder seemed to come from high up in the cloud, so perhaps these were "elevated storms". The precipitation that fell was the big heavy continental style raindrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I think the reason for lightning of this nature (and frequency) is that the whole area/band was on the trailing stratiform type. you can read up more on the different types here:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This was snapped in kilnamanagh last night just after 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

19-10-20

For the record, to note the first map is from the ATD system which is more tuned towards CG strikes, as the storms were quite elevated this chart wouldent have accounted for all the sferics and as the piece from Met eireann states it might just have accounted for 10% or 20% of all the strikes.

From Met eireann about the ATD Network https://www.met.ie/science/valentia/lightning-detection

Also from Met Eireann

Lightning

The ATDnet Lightning Detection System is optimised for detecting cloud-to-ground lightning strokes and flashes rather than cloud lightning (inter-cloud and intra-cloud lightning). The majority of lightning occurs in the storm cloud itself or between clouds. On average approximately 10 to 20 percent of all lightning over Ireland are cloud-to-ground strikes.

Lightning locations are sourced from the WMO SFERIC (SFUK) messages. Some atmospherics may not be detected. Isolated spurious returns can also occur. Detection efficiency is variable, ATDnet is capable of detecting in excess of 90% of cloud-to-ground lightning flashes over Ireland. Typical location accuracy is estimated to be around 1–3km, or less. Further information about lightning detection at Valentia Observatory is available here.

We are most grateful to the UK Met Office for the use of their Arrival Time Difference (ATD) lightning location data.

Lightning strikes, when they occur, are displayed as a cross. Initially they are red but change to orange and then yellow after a period, then disappear.

A worldwide lightning detection map is available at Blitzortung.org – worldwide, real time, community collaborative lightning location network. © 2003-2020 Blitzortung.org Contributors

Netweather

Below a 12 hr loop from https://www.blitzortung.org

Very active day by Irish standards .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement