Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

After watching the ME forecast on tv last night I expected this forum to be lit up with storm reports from the East and South , what happened they got it so wrong maybe all these unnecessary warnings they put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

Too many warnings these days. Especially the yellow ones. Media not complaining though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm no ME fanboy but I did get the guts of 40mm of rain from just before midnight until 6 am

Near Roscrea N Tipp

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like some activity around cork kerry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some parameters there for big convective clouds producing heavy rain and some a bit blustery, not overly conducive for thunderstorms but a few isolated ones might break out especially along Atlantic coasts, maybe a few inland too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I recorded over 30mm there one day last week and there was no warning by Met Eireann as far as I can recall. And the streets are flooded here after a recent downpour and there was no warning for that either. But sure, tis only the wesht.

And I'm not really complaining that much, but these warnings they put out often are warnings that I just can't take seriously anymore.

New Moon

There was unreal rain in Galway from a string of showers roads flooded and I never saw leaves being stripped of trees such was the rain and as you said not a mention from ME

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sferics along the Kerry coast now

Out on Kerry head, very distant lightning flashes maybe 30=40kms away at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Three lightning flashes directly over me in West cork, netweather shows a small but fiery cell over us. Not picking up the lightning though

• Advertisement

Possibly something heading towards waterford wexford coast

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of recent sparks in Co. Waterford.

Thunder here in Tralee, very heavy showers knocking the temp down to 9.6C.

Near Waterford firing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some recent sferics around the Dingle peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thunder and lightniing and flickering power out here AND DEAFENING RAIN ON ROOF

West Mayo offshhore

from 8:16 to 8pm by TORRO.CO.UK

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And it has passed over. very intense that was .. even less wind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Big flash in Galway, left me perplexed for a few seconds until I heard the big boom of Thunder after it. Strange to notice such a flash indoors during daylight?

Strange to see that flash as the Sun was breaking through the thunder was very loud shook the window

Big flash and long rumble in Athenry right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lots of lightning now off the east coast from squall that just passed through.

Thunder again in Athenry, sun is shining brightly so makes seeing lightning a bit of a challenge.

wrong thread

Anvil heads over Galway few minutes ago trees down in the County and according to Galway City Council traffic lights out due lightning strike

Post edited by Storm 10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I see carlow weather has a few posts up in Twitter about a tornado in Wexford earlier today. Unfortunately no one seems to have gotten any video of it but it looks to have been quite strong going by how much damage was done to the trees.

I lost power here in athenry earlier today which was surprising for a yellow warning.

Advancing upper trough and colder air aloft spreading over Ireland giving rise to convective heavy showers and the potential for some thunderstorms, more so around the coasts over water with the SST's aiding instability, will see if some move inland a bit, maybe not much happening away from coastal areas, will try to get a camera out later if something sparks up near the coast.. Getting quite breezy as well, some of the heavy Convective showers could produce hail and be gusty locally, different system moves in over Ireland from the SW later Sunday bringing the temperatures up a bit again.

Some big showers with a few sparks showing up now off the Western coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lightning visible directly west of Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Lightning, thunder and lights flickering in Achill now.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a squall line developing over Clare and Kerry at the moment. Worth keeping an eye on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement