Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with anal gland issues

Options
  • 01-09-2022 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. Our dog has always had a problem with anal glands, resulting in having to visit the vet a few times a year. Once she needed to have them cleared under sedation. Earlier this year she had a puncture in one which took a good while to heal. I was advised to have them cleared every month since and when they do it they are always very full. They have advised feeding Weetabix daily to get fibre. Her diet consists of dry food and cans of sardines. But my mother feeds her quite a bit of sliced ham or sausages when she's with her. Any advice on diet and prevention going forward?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

salt content in the ham and sausages is not a good idea also if dog is been given milk stop this for a few weeks to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

A retired vet told me a few years ago that a dog who is given regular marrow bones will not have anal gland issues. It has worked for my dog. She is large breed & well used to bones, although I still watch her carefully as she devours them. Fibre as you mentioned is also good. Hope it improves.

Advertisement