Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Electric Bikes

Options
  • 01-09-2022 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

I am looking to invest in an electric bike. I don't want to go outside the main shops. I have read reviews of all the halfords bikes and they all seem to get decent reviews.

Im down to

Carrera Vengeance E

Carrera impel im-2

Carrera Subway E Mens

Every review gives them a decent score and yes it would be lovely to invest more but I don't have the budget.

Bike will be used on back roads, bumpy and some potholes but nothing major offroad. Like distance would be max 40km so I don't see a problem!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Figure on 50% of the manufacturer claimed ranges. It’s usually based on the lowest power setting. Also batteries lose capacity as they age. None of the bikes you list have the required battery capacity for a 40km cycle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Check out the long term reviews on YouTube and cycling forums.

They had problems with the very early models. But I think they seem to have got sorted.

I think the main issue they are very modest in ability. Most people want something a bit more impressive and/or capable.

I was considering one myself because I didn't want to leave anything better at work. Parts would be easy got. But in then end I just didn't buy anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on paper, they should manage it; my wife's bike has a 400Wh battery and she's managed 60km on probably 2/3 battery drain. the lowest specced battery above is rated at 317Wh; but differences in power train efficiency will obviously come into play though.

@OP if you're just using on bumpy roads it's probably not worth getting suspension, it increases weight, complexity and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

That’s for advice, the subway E has no suspension and the lightest by a good few KG so I was going to focus on that

In reality the 40km is probably a bit long, like over to village is 10km…so that’s what I mostly will do

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Look at Decathlon too. They have good value e-bikes on offer. Possible to get a decent one under the bike to work scheme threshold of €1,500 if that matters to you.

Also the Irish Independent weirdly sells reasonably priced e-bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would be curious as to how the Indo provides after sales service on those. They've been mentioned before here, are they the ones which claim to offer a significant discount on a price they were never sold at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Weight of suspension is mostly irrelevant on an ebike. As are hills, rain, wind. You're thinking like it's push bike.

I think all of those Halfords eBikes have a suspension lockout. But it obviously makes it less to maintain or replace if you don't have suspension.

Decathalon are totally sold out, I have tried and they have a waiting list

Error

Advertisement