Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Secretary Campaign 2022

• 02-09-2022 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

As the online assessments have just been released for the Third Secretary competition 2022, I thought we could use this forum to discuss the process.

It appears the format is slightly different this year? More time and questions.

Post edited by Brooklyn94 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭agoodusername

I applied, first time going for 3rd sec but I'm doing it mainly for the experience. I'm only out of college recently so this campaign is possibly a bit early for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bichonfrise7

Can anyone find the information booklet for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Do you mean this one? There is a new information booklet for the tests. There should be a link to it in your messages on Public Jobs

Yes thank you! Every time I googled it it was only the 2020 one coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 christinxcat

Thanks for starting the thread Brooklyn94! Have trawled through the 2020 thread here and found it very useful, but yes, seems the format is a little different this year. I imagine in general the whole process will have been slightly adapted, since COVID regulations were lifted.

Best of luck to all in the first round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Brooklyn94

No worries, it was useful for sure!

Can anyone confirm if we are allowed a physical calculator for the numerical reasoning? The familiarisation material mentions a calculator but the information booklet states we have to use our computers inbuilt calculator.

In other comps I think your allowed, however that’s the first time I’ve seen that there’s an inbuilt calculator, mightn’t be any harm to ask PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Does anyone know if we have already gotten through a first stage? As in, were the 500 word statements and application forms sifted or is everyone through to this test stage?

I think it's like a rough sifting of applications, I was removed from a comp once because my degree didn't match the criteria, but as far as I know, after interviews they double-check everything, like references, qualifications etc - that's my understanding of it anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smoochs!

I am so worried about the self assessment questions and the situational judgment ones. I have no idea how to approach the self assessment, and ive being practing the AO situational judgment and cant seem to score higher than the middle band, any advice for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 R2020C

Does anyone have any good recommendations for practise test websites that might be good?

Also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but, if you have a friend who works as a third Secretary and you ask them for any tips, does that count as canvassing and then disqualification? Or is it only canvassing if you email DFA?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator note: Identical discussion deleted in Newbies & FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallkenny83

Hi Smoochs,

Where are you practicing the AO tests? Can you pls send a link?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smoochs!

I'm not allowed to post or even send links, just google Test Advice for Public for public jobs, click the titled page, and you'll find links in the bottom. Let me know how you get on. I cant seem to get higher than the middle band

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

As long as your friend isn't involved in the selection process for 3rd Sec, it wont be considered as canvassing. And given that he/she is a 3rd Sec, they definitely wont be involved in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

Does anyone know how grading for the Self-Assessment Questionnaire works? It doesn't really explain it in the booklet, but surely if you're assessing your own capabilities you can't do badly (unless of course you're extremely honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 felixs981

Hi guys,

didn't apply on time this year, def going to try the next one.

I heard the provider of the assessment is now "Assessment Intelligence", can anyone confirm?

Also, did you get some example questions or additional info about the assessment you can share?

When the time comes, I would like to practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 R2020C

Thanks so much! No they aren’t involved at all with recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 2 felixs981

can someone post the booklet?

test portal opens today ... good luck!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Just completed the tests - will be very interesting to see my OOM. Here's the order I did them in:

NR gave me PTSD to failing leaving cert maths 😂 But I managed well otherwise with it. Didn't manage to finish that section, but got to the last question in the second last sheet.

VR was grand, finished with 15mins to go, so looked back over some of my answers - definitely recommend doing this if you have time to spare.

SAQ was really nice to finish on. Practiced the situational judgment-style Qs quite a bit, so felt very prepared.

Wishing everyone the best of luck in the first round! Definitely take breaks after completing each test if you intend to do it all in one sitting.

A colleague of mine told me that everyone who applies gets through to the first round. She was offer TS years ago, so the process may have changed slightly, and yes I imagine if qualifications jump out as not suitable for the position, that these applicants may not progress to the testing stage.

However, my colleague also flagged that the initial applications may be considered in more detail upon progressing to later stages, i.e. interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TravelMoon

Just completed the tests now.

Have to say I didn't enjoy the new testing system/application.

The verbal reasoning seemed atrocious to me, numerical was grand, as was the situational.

However, I found the room scanning awkward with a laptop... I would say if you've not done them yet take a second look at the instructions beforehand.

Anyway, time will tell!

Thanks for all the info, sounds like it went well!

Where did you practice the situational judgement style questions?

Also, can you see the questions at the same time as the material they are based on?

Thanks!

Thanks for the update! Do you mind maybe elaborating on what was so bad about the VR aspect?

It seems that it is not as time constrained as previous assessments.

Good luck with your results!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nsauce

Any tips for the self assessment part? I've done the other two parts but I've left this one till last. It's the part I'm most dreading because I'm not sure how best to approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nsauce

For anyone who still hasn't done them, I thought the verbal reasoning and the numerical reasoning were grand and pretty straight forward. I got both finished with a couple of mins to spare. There were a couple questions in the verbal reasoning I wasn't sure of but had no trouble with the numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

I did my assessments on Sunday, took longer than I expected. Numerical was grand, verbal was alright but I hate the self assessments because it's one thing that no matter how many of these comps I do I can just never figure out what they want, so wouldn't be surprised if it takes me out of it haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

Allah be praised they finally changed the verbal and numerical test provider. Evergreen corp and their detergent lines in Munich and the accompanying tiny graphs appear to be gone for good! Something to be thankful for. They persisted with that for so long.

Don't know why they got rid of the e-tray simulated scenario response. That was quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

There hasn't be an etray for TS for years (if there was ever one).

Advertisement