Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Secretary Campaign 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Is it just the one final interview this time? I think in previous campaigns they had two for some reason.

Did the interviews seem tough? As in, do you think they were trying to rank you or knock people out?

Anyway best of luck to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Firstnamebunchofnumbers

You'll be asked certain questions to ascertain your competency for the role and asked to give examples from your work experience to illustrate this. The questioning was robust but polite and roughly on par with other interviews I've done.

I'm going to be replaying the whole thing ad nauseum in my mind now and analysing everything until the results come out, ugh.

Oh and yes, just one interview this time. Not sure why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Hi all! I'm in this campaign and happily got much further than I expected. Does anyone know when results from the interviews will be out?

Sorry for the late reply - I only just clued into this thread!

For my precis, I took my time reading through the document first, highlighting any key phrases or points on interest. Then, I used rough work paper to sketch out a plan for how to fit all those points into a coherent structure. Then I started writing.

I think my result had a key point / overview paragraph, then three or four more paragraphs where I clustered points of interest.

Hope that's of some help!

If people are still interviewing this week, I'd hazard a guess that results will be out in two weeks time; maybe between the 7th and 9th?

How did you find the interview?

• Advertisement

I thought the interview was fair but tough. Not sure how I did really. I might have tried to get too much info across without providing the necessary depth in any examples. A few of the specific, "tell me about..." questions threw me but not sure what I could have done to prepare for them.

Unfortunately, although I knew the various DFA policy documents inside out I did a poor job of referencing them and my answers to the DFA interviewers were probably my worst.

Oh well, wait and see I guess. Hopefully I made the panel at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Can you remember what any of those "Tell me about" questions were? Or were they just very general "a time you lead a team" "a time you faced conflict in the workplace" type questions? I'm from a different sector so not sure what a 3rd sec type question would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

Yeah, for the competencies they were as you described - how you negotiated a change in a process, dealing with conflict etc.

The only difference between it and previous general Civil Service interviews I've had was that the final competency was pretty much solely DFA policy stuff such as challenges for the Dept, relations between Ireland and XYZ etc.

I was just thinking back on my interview and I realise that although forewarned and prepared for it I was never interrupted. I wonder if that means my answers were too short or just bang on the money. Hopefully the latter 😁!

Anyway I wonder what the chances are that we'll hear this week?

From what I gather it will be this week or next week.

• Advertisement

Results are in. I didn't quite make the cut unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 username77239

No word here yet, hopefully won’t be waiting much longer

Nothing here either. I may be putting a dent in my screen under the refresh button.

Would have thought they would all be released simultaneously. In any case, best of luck all.

Got my results. I made the panel so I'm happy out. No indication of how many they expect to call yet.

I also made the panel!! Can’t believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 user20101

I also managed to make the panel! Does anyone know how many made it? And how many they take initially? I’m in the top 15 on OOM

Sorry to hear about anyone that didn’t make it. I passed and am in the low 20s - probably won’t be in the first group taken on but sure once you get there.

If it’s any help for people, a friend of mine was 13th on the OOM last time and got the call up immediately.

Had anyone heard of someone getting placed off the panel in Limerick? Would you have to be fairly high on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallkenny83

Hi folks well done to those who passed the interview. Quick question on the order of merit you are referring to. Is the order of merit you mention from the verbal/numeric reasoning stage, the precis or the interview stage? Cheers

• Advertisement

The most recent comments referring to the Order of Merit are following the stage three interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallkenny83

Cheers

Hi Niall. I think they are referring to the latest Order of Merit (OOM) after each stage.

In civil service exams, each stage produces a new OOM, distinct from the previous one.

In this case, it sounds like they are now referring to their OOM after the final interview, which is actually their position on the panel created for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lizzyG08

Hi all, congratulations to everyone who made the panel! 👏 I have also passed the interview, delighted as I just missed out on the required scores in the 2020 competition.

Does anyone have any experience with start dates? Due to my current studies, I won't be able to take up a role until June/July at the earliest.

I'm hoping that deferral will be an option should they reach my number before then. They were aware of this in the interview too. Thanks!

Hi all. Congrats again to those who made the cut. I have perhaps a slightly strange request. Would those of you who made the panel mind telling me your age? Only if you're comfortable doing so of course. It's just that I feel I'm probably on the older side of the usual age bracket for this job and I'm trying to gauge whether I could realistically try again in two years or whenever or if I should just write it off and move on. Thanks.

Not happy about the fact, but I am 30 in a few months 😅

I have heard of new Third Secs well into their 30s - although may not make up the majority. I guess if its a role that you would like then I don't think age should preclude you (within reason), albeit I guess a bigger consideration is the willingness to be posted around if people are more likely to have a family/dependants etc.

Thanks for the response. I'm 32 now so not sure really if I will apply again but won't discount the possibility entirely. I suppose it depends on my circumstances when the next recruitment campaign appears.

In fairness, at 32 you still have your entire life's length again to work. Might as well try be in a job you like.

I reckon you should definitely reapply next time.

That actually made me feel a little better. Thank you.

• Advertisement

I made the panel and am 23, but I’m sure that’s on the younger end of the spectrum

Advertisement