Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake off 2022

Options
  • 02-09-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭

Back on Channel 4 from Tuesday September 13th at 8pm.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Bumping this as Bake off is back at 8pm tonight on Channel 4.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yayyy

At least they haven't postponed it!! Looks like a high standard judging by the creations they have already shown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I love Bake off !

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Where do I know Rebs from!!!! She is so familiar..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Compost Carole is clearly going to be my favourite contestant this season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just caught up here, I enjoyed that for a first episode. It usually takes me a few weeks ro learn who is who and remember names but I think I have them all.

Will seemed like a bit of fun, a pity he's gone but he had 3 bad bakes really. Looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Aaah I missed it! When is it repeated? Can't find any reference to a repeat online.

Reasonably high standard for a first week (not quite as high as last year mind) so looking forward to seeing what develops over the next few weeks. Winners rarely stand out early on so be interesting to see who wins from this years crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

E4 at 12.50 on Saturday is a repeat / catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Caught this completely by accident the other night - agree it's a very positive start!

The nerves were clearly telling in some of them but that should settle over the weeks.

Not sure how yer man managed to split/curdle every blessed batch of icing/buttercream he attempted! But he was noticeably the weakest on the night.

• Advertisement

You can watch on the all4 app in Ireland. It blocks live streaming here, but the library is available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

An ok start to the series. A great mix of people from many different parts of the UK - love the selection of different accents. Not many standing out or wowing me yet - but I was half asleep watching it as we had just landed back from holidays so will get a better look next week.

Is that not the best thing about it…..that’s it’s perfectly okay to watch it while half asleep?!

I thought the Star Wars intro was definitively one of the better ones….

(for those that have seen Star Wars of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

Recorded it to watch, and was glad given the number of ad breaks I was able to fast forward through.

Decent week one. Nice easy watch as others have stated.

But it really is time to bin the Friday hour long Extra Slice. Tired old predictable jokes and Tom Allen is a real pain in the arse at this stage.

Post edited by Xander10 on

This group seems quite strong. Was difficult enough to predict who was going to be sent home this week and it seems like there's a good 4 or 5 of them who could win it. They're a likeable enough group too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The feathers on the garibaldi biscuits. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

That's something I would do. Panic, read instructions too quickly, and get it wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I felt sorry for Syabira as (a) English is not her first language (b) it's easy to panic and go wrong in the technical (c) there's not meant to be chocolate on a garibaldi anyway!! and (d) the feathers were actually really accomplished, but I still had a good chuckle. 😄

I'm not sure if this years crop are as strong as I first thought, 2 or 3 decent bakes for signature and some good ones for showstopper but the technical challenge was poor across the board (btw chocolate on a garabaldi!> f**k off 🤣) and plenty of poor to weak ones across all the challenges.

Not sure I agree with Syabira going either, ( agree she was in the bottom three with the others mentioned though) I know Rebs won the TC but she was awful in the other two challenges and IMO was v.lucky to still be there for next week. Not that any of them would have threatened to win it overall anyway mind.

Bread week next week & that always throws up some interesting stuff so looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I felt it was between that young girl and the young Northern Irish girl to go last night. The rest of them I think unless things change in the next couple of week it could be hard to make a call between them, no one is really standing out that much to me. They really are a likeable bunch this year though.

• Advertisement

Abdul would have gone had he not done such a good show stopper, he was bottom after the first 2 rounds. . I'm guessing they saw more potential in Rabs than in the girl who went

Just caught up this evening....

Rebs is some chancer - offered help in the technical round, and basically demanded help in the showstopper round! This ain't a team game, dearie!!

I thought the Malaysian girl's (haven't got the hang of all the names yet) feathers on the garibaldi biscuits were pure genius! I know it's not what they asked for, technically, but I thought they could have given her a bit more credit for them.

The parrot mask was amazing. Not a bit of icing or piping on it, just biscuits.

I feel like the girl who left just didn't quite get the "showstopper" bit of the last round - she seemed so young and naive.... her mask was lovely.

But I'd have sent Rebs home before her - at least her bakes were all her own work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just caught up last night, I agree that Syabira's feathers while not what they asked for were really beautiful and well made. They might come in handy in another challenge, lol. I think the right person went in the end, Maisam hadn't done overly well in any challenges that I remember either this week or last week I just don't think she was quite up to it. Rebs and Abdul were lucky not to go and if they don't change could be in the bottom two next week. Bread week!

I have never tasted a Garibaldi biscuit to my knowledge - should I go out and buy some? 🤣

Haven't seen them on the shelves in a long time (mostly shop in Dunnes), think Lidl or Aldi might have them the odd time though. Never saw them with chocolate on them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Even Prue said it's highly unusual, and she was the one who set the task - she just wanted to see their skills in "feathering".

Ridiculous. And sounds a bit yuck!

From the descriptions of them, they reminded me a bit of a fruit shorty biscuit with the chewy bits of fruit minus the sugar on top

I think they're nearer to a figroll than the fruit shortcake.

Soft, rather than crispy.

Haven't seen/heard/thought of them since I was a kid!

Thanks @HeidiHeidi I'll keep an eye out for them when I am next in the supermarket. Until some other bake catches my eye 😄

Thought this was funny:

• Advertisement

Mother of God, this showstopper thing is wrecking my head (and I'm 100% a savoury person!). It's like an illusion bake, gone rogue!

Pain au raisin is one of my absolute favourite sweet things, I was drooling watching that round!

I can't say that any of the pizzas would have won me over.... as an absolute carb fiend, I loved the sound of Carol's cheesy/potato one - but agree with the judges, less was more - it was deeply unappetising looking.

Advertisement