Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake off 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This has been an awful episode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Definitely. Missed the showstopper instructions. What's with the fishy cakes??? They all sound horrendous tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Swedish speciality, apparently.

One i can definitely live without experiencing!

Although if you got past all the bizarre cake-y decoration, they were just basically huge club sandwiches. Of which I approve, mightily.

But yes, a very bizarre episode. And then nobody getting sent home, just to add to it all. (I'm presuming the two missing got covid?)

Hopefully normal service will resume next week....

Surely they could have just not filmed bread week until the other two are feeling better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Bread week consisted of pizza, pastries and fishy cakes. What a let down! Where was the bread?? 😯

I don't like too much savoury in Bake Off, to be honest. I can see people stewing beef and cooking prawns on Masterchef! I don't expect to see it when they're meant to be baking bread.

What will Mexican week be like? What can I buy to graze on next week?? 🤨

• Advertisement

People on Twitter saying the Showstoppers tonight were more like Bushtucker trials. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Had such high hopes for bread week and the tasks let them down. I do like pizza and those raisin things - but where were the loaves?!!!

I can start to see the field spread out a bit in terms of ability. Janusz and Maxie are doing really well as is Sandro. Kevin was very lucky to stay and I'm rooting for Carole!

Given that nearly all the bakes in the first round seemed to get criticised for being under proved, is that a problem with the time allowed for the task?

There's no baking involved in this technical at all!

No! That wasn't baking. It's Great British Bake Off, not Great British Steak Off. 😄

Also, the irony that the first challenge this week was bread wasn't lost on me.

• Advertisement

More Masterchef than Bake Off!

I literally just said that to my viewing partner. 😂😂

Has Rebs not burned anything tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm finding the "cookery" element annoying....I suppose they are trying to jazz it up but it's a bake show.

Rebs just totally annoys me.... hopefully she'll be gone soon!

Too much cherry?

Is that even possible??

That was quite the meltdown by Rebs 🙄

Did she have any highlights at all in the series? All I can remember is various shades of disaster!

I really thought Dawn was getting a handshake for her showstopper - given the fawning over it and praise for it, I think it was a bit mean not to give her one!

I thought she was getting a handshake too!

I think Rebs was a total princess and liked playing the "poor lil ol me" card way too much.

She should have gone in week 1, unfortunately there was always someone slightly worse than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Came on to ask the same thing! Wasn't really paying attention last week or this week tbh. Not a lot of baking going on. Desert week next week so hopefully some actual baking

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is it wrong of me to think that Sandro completely loves himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thought the overall standard wasn't great this week. Also, more baking and less cooking please.

• Advertisement

Rebs can't really argue about going home, she hasn't been good any week so far. I did think Carole should have went over James

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised Carole stayed and James went. James' Show stopper must have been very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Reckon he'll have a meltdown if he doesn't get star baker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thought the judges got it right this week in terms of who goes, Rebs simply had to go, she was awful. The amount of tears shown after was the icing on the cake (not that we've seen many of them this year mind) James v Carole was 50:50 but he's had little in the way of decent bakes across the series so far & didnt seem at all surprised to be fair & took it reasonably well (unlike Rebs!)

Agree that the cookery over baking content so far has been frustrating, I sincerely hope we're done with that now & we get back to the cakes filled with sugar, fruit & chocolate from here on in!! I usually crave all kinds of goodies when watching, that hasn't happened this year at all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Rebs was overdue to go home, lucky she stayed as long as she did and if she had been on last week's episode she'd have gone then.

Dawn really stood out to me in last night's show - she'd been under my radar in the last few weeks but I thought she came out of the shadows yesterday.

I don't really know where they were going with the Mexican theme - I get that the producers want to change it up a bit. I'd love them to set a few "easy" challenges, particularly in the technical - something that seems basic and simple, that they should be able to do with their eyes closed but where no room for error is allowed, should be perfectly baked, eg soda bread, profiteroles, scones, victoria sponge.

They gave a glimpse of the instructions for next week's technical. Your wish will be answered 😅😅😅

Post edited by Princess Calla on

Yes, that's a great recipe. At least I know what I'm eating during next week's show. I have one in the freezer, so it will be an easy bake. 😂

☺️ I hadn't a clue I was such an influence on the show!! Actually I switch off the program before they do the "next week" spiel.

I thought you might, which is why I tried to keep it vague 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I had a look back over the first few seasons to see what kinds of things the contestants were originally added to bake and it was way simpler and themed around regular bakes (things like victoria sponges, breads, tarts, puddings etc).

Nowadays I think they're eager to keep things fresh and concocting all kinds of weird ideas that dont always make a pile of sense (bread week this year was very odd). Plus the overall standard expected seems very high for what are meant to be amateur bakers.

Advertisement