Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost cutting tips. So with the spiraling cost of food and electricity I thought this would be good.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gotchya!

So there's no point whatsoever in reducing or increasing one's consumption of energy, as, no matter what we do, those evil electricity companies will still screw us! Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Learn to crochet.

Then you can crochet your own scarves and head-bands and blankets to keep warm, and save money at Christmas by giving everyone hand made wooley things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Have you seen the price of wool recently. My wife gave up knitting and crochet this year as it's just not practical given the cost of wool.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Surprised it hadn't been mentioned, batch cook where possible and freeze in portions. If your heating isn't zoned look into that, there's no need to have heating on for long in bedrooms and water only needs an hour or so a day unless you've a large family.

Realistically there's only so much you can cut down on before you seriously impact on your quality of life. Some good advice here on replacing seals on doors and windows, shorter showers, reducing speed, only boiling the required amount of water etc, but walking around the house with a torch is for power cuts.

• Advertisement

So much private label food is made by the same companies that sell branded food. Price differenc

And if you have dogs, great to feed them suitable roadkill. My 3 had a fine hare yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

*If you have a freezer that's sitting in a heated utility room move it out to an unheated shed. It will use a lot less power in cold surroundings

*Put torch in fridge when it's dark and close the door to identify leaking gasket, replace if you can see the light shining through usually not a big or expensive job to do.

*If you are using immersion heater make sure it's on a timer and thermostat isn't set above 60 degrees.

*Go on holidays some place warm for a week or two in November-March & don't bother with foreign holidays in August if it's feasible for you.

*Check all sockets for unused "wall wart" style power supplies and remove them, unplug any standby device you can live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yuzet Radiator Heat Reflective Insulating Foil, Energy Saving, Reduces Heat Loss, Easy DIY Fitting. Pack of 2-0.6m x 5m Per Roll https://amzn.eu/d/59ZpAKu

Does anyone know if things like this radiator wall insulation make a difference? Seems sensible but would like to know if anyone has any expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As another poster said, batch cook. It makes a big difference heating up the oven a few times a week instead of every day. Get an air fryer too, way more effecient than an oven.

I got a single induction hob portable thing too for boiling any pots and I use it for making my coffee, again far more efficient than the electrical hob and kettle.

I have a sort of pergola coming off the side of the house, so I closed in the sides half way down and installed clothes lines across the width, so that eliminates the tumble dryer.

I'm in an old house, old heavy wooden doors on the exteriors I got draught excluders for every door in the house, this kind of draught sealing tapes around the door frames where the door meets.

Turning off led lights and going around with a torch is a bit ridiculous and won't save you much.

I'd rather spend twice on energy saving products than line the pockets of the energy companies this winter to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Keep your freezer full. They use less energy that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Doolittle51

We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Have an empty kettle rule. If you want a cup of tea, fill up your cup (with a little extra because of steam) pour it into the kettle and boil what you have to.

If you are buying a new toaster, get 2 slice toaster or one when you can change the settings to toast what you need to.

No roast dinners.

If you want fresh air, go for a walk. Or if you want to open the windows, you only need them open for a few minutes for the air to circulate.

Sunny winter days are usually the coldest. Blinds fully open, windows closed. The raw low laying sun will heat the house.

If you are cold, grab a blanket. Buy packable gilets in Penny's. They a nice and warm and very comfortable around the house. It's like a sleeping bag around your back and chest, yet you are very free to move your arms around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Saving energy in the home usually comes at the cost of comfort and convenience sadly. The largest energy consumers in the home are heating appliances and parasitic draw. If you want to save money, start there. That and get night rate and time shift.

In terms of parasitic draw, what may look like an insignificant 5watts here and there, they all add up. A typical modern home, with all its connected devices, pumps and tech on standby could be consuming 400w at all times. So start there. Turn off all pumps and shut down heating system completely during summer months. Unplug devices that are not in use, like the clock radio or tv in the spare room. Particularly old appliances and devices - I had an old amp that was a continuous 30w draw, perfectly fine and functional but didn't need to be always plugged in. Home routers can be surprisingly power hungry despite their size, so perhaps consider putting it on a timer that powers off during the night hours. Consider all other automation and if they are really needed. Led bulbs should be everywhere and try to buy the most efficient appliances you can afford.

The next big thing is heating. So if you are using the oven, fill it. Prepare a couple of dinners when you use it. A typical Sunday evening in my home is as busy as a restaurant kitchen, all pots prepared to go in the oven when I get up for work in the morning (still off peak) and for subsequent freezing. Washes are timed for night rate and go in the dryer in the morning if the weather isn't promising. Use your dishwasher to clean your dishes (no need for a manual pre rinse, just a scraping) use it when it's full and use it at night.

Try and open the fridge as little as possible - the compressor will typically need to run for 40mins every time it's opened. So if you are constantly reaching for butter and milk, take them out.

Use your shower for as short a time as possible and before 9am in the summer. Avoid the immersion heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

While you are in there help yourself to toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Got solar panels two years ago. Installer estimated it would take 15 years for payback. However, with energy prices doubling, the payback will be a lot quicker.

Also, put the food into the oven when its switched on and turn it off before the end of the cooking time. Then open the oven to eat the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Bake a few batches of simple Queen cakes and freeze them.

Then call to different neighbours every evening at around dinner time and bring a few of them.

Also, use the toilet, maybe sneek in a shower and say your washing machine and dryer is acting up and would they mind doing a quick load for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I did the same, but to install the same system now it would cost probably close to double what I paid. When I installed people laughed at me, solar working in Ireland etc etc.... 😂

Ok on the shopping.

So we done a weekly shop online. Aldi 128.37 + 6.49 for collection, so would need diesel to go and collect.

Tesco with delivery €140.60 and I pay I think 7 euro per month for delivery. Its the usual saver option

Now some of the tesco stuff I went for a brand instead of non brand as I like them, with Aldi no brand so own brand but not many.

But all in not a huge difference, I know this is a little sad but I was just wondering as my wife prefers Aldi and I prefer the delivery

More a FYI for people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A somewhat unethical moneysaving tip: If you submit meter readings yourself submit a reading about 500 units higher than it actually is in the week before 1 October when all the price increases come in. With an average increase of 10c per unit that would save you about 50 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Only if you haven't been changed over to a smart meter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Drink your own píss by candle light.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

They seem to be very quick at doing meter readings in the last few months.....like we got it read maybe once a year but now they seem to be able to do very regular

I expect a lot of people had been bumping up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm planning to use a lot barbecue and meat smoker over the winter. Thank fook timber is free around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

-😂 That’s the funniest idea I’ve heard of in a long time …. Hilarious!!

Article is worth a read “We're just days away from Christmas and it's very ironic that no one is going to visit the real Santa." Pure Gold 😅

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only of use if you have no insulation whatsoever. Might be better to put vents there to direct airflow towards the room rather than let it rise to the ceiling.

Tinfoil will reflect radiation just as well.

Or wrap tinfoil around XPS underlay ? https://www.goodwins.ie/products/brutus-5mm-high-performance-underlay-9-76m2-pack-1260912.html?name=brutus&type=simple

Unless you are using vacuum panels (much €'s) insulation is mostly about thickness with a 2:1 difference between the most expensive types and cheap stuff like loose mineral wool attic insulation. The difference is that you can use twice as much attic insulation to get the same benefit, but can't stuff it behind a radiator. If an area is likely to get damp or risk of condensation then insulation choices get further restricted.

Advertisement