Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel allowance means testing

• 03-09-2022 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Want to check fuel allowance for my mother

She's 84, is getting widow's pension (contributory) and living alone allowance which she's getting 285e. She also has savings

I was told cos of the widow's pension (contributory) she can have up to 63000e in savings before being mean tested. Is this correct?

If not, can anyone explain how it will be mean tested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If she simply completes the fuel allowance form and includes a bank statement for each account she has and returns it to widows pen con section then they will award her fuel allowance if she’s eligible for it.

Her savings under 63000 will not be considered in the means test, but she will have to send evidence of her savings to satisfy that test.

Her pension (leave out the Living Alone) should be €263.30.

She could have income of €120 on top of that and still get the Fuel Allowance.

Savings are judged as follows:

1. You can have the first €20000 disregarded.
    2. If you have €30000 they say you have income from that of €10 a week.
    3. If you have €40000 then you also have €20 per week.
    4. If you have more then €40000 then you have €4 for every €1000 more.
    5. So if you have €63000 then you have : €20000= €0, next €10000=€10, next €10000=€20, balance of €23000 = 23*€4= €92+€10+€20= €122.
    6. So once her savings is € 62999 then and she has no other income other then the state pension (no uk pension, no occupational pension relating to either herself or your father, no Irish life, no land rented out etc) then she should get the fuel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

TooTired123

Thanks very much for your reply

You explained it very well

I say she will be able to get it

Advertisement