Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of charge point & connection?

• 03-09-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I already have the cabling in place from a rewire in the last six months, it runs to the fusebox and to the outside of the house but is not terminated either end.

I don't have an EV, but now with the grant being extended to everyone am considering getting one in place because I figure the grant won't be there forever & it may influence or next car choice.

How much would it be roughly to get a (hopefully) future proof charge point & have it installed made live?

Currently have a diesel which is 13 years old but runs perfectly, but the way things are going it may be better to change sooner rather than later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You should be able to get a type 2 (EU standard) charger installed for €1,000 if pre-wired. Something like the Zappi, Wallbox Plus, or Hypervolt 2.0. If all the electrician need to do is supply, mount and connect the charger without having to run cabling, that's still a decent €400 after the cost of the charger for a couple of hours work, especially if they're local.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

To give an idea - Retail prices for some chargers:

Wallbox Pulsar Plus : About €700 (amazon.co.uk, delivered to Ireland - €556 + about €140 import duties etc)

Zappi : €975 untethered or €999 tethered (https://myenergi.com/ie/product/zappi-ev-charger/)

After that, it's mostly the hours for the electrician and a small amount for the additional fuses on the board etc.

If you need load balancers (electric shower / heat-pump etc) - figure another €200 or so

Typical "uncomplicated" install quoted prices are about €1150 for the Wallbox and €1450 for the Zappi, which aligns to the retail prices above .. the cable run might save an hour's labour and the cost of the cable (about €5-10 per meter at screwfix)

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

The zappi has load balancing built in so no extra cost on that one.

I dont know about the wallbox

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭vinniem

I got my Zappi installed beside external meter box (uncomplicated) for €1200 in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Most chargers now a days have inbuilt load balancing.

you need to ensure the electrician installed the right cable. I have heard of instances where people got houses pre wired but the cable was to small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Get a Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed for 550 these days so that deal ain't brilliant.

Looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

I was quoted €1781 for tethered zappi install. Fuse box and meter are both about 16 m from charger location. This seems high anyway but quote goes to €1986 to integrate zappi to solar. Already have a Harvi in the meter box. Is there a legitimate reason for charging an extra €200 to integrate to solar?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

1500-1600 seems normal for a basic Zappi install these days

Add a few hundred for a significantly longer cable run (potentially fatter cable needed too, 10sq instead of 6sq to allow for voltage drop)

Zappi only comes with one CT clamp, maybe the 200 is to cover the cost of a second one to measure solar input to the meter?

Either way - worth phoning around for a few other quotes .. it's not mad, but it is a little spicy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

That's on top of grant. Note to now qualify for seai grant the charger needs to be smart so more basic chargers no longer qualify for the grant.

You are probably talking 1100 euro minus 600 grant but you would want to ring around and get a few quotes. Prices vary a lit and brand of charger they fit varies. Zappi tends to be most expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

You're 100% correct. It's €1299 and €699 after the grant. The charger is fully smart and is on the SEAI register so is eligible for grant. It runs off Monta smartphone app which is very good so far. I have the tethered one (same price) and the lead is longer than the wallbox and myenergi zappi that i looked at. I have VW ID4 in small mid terraced driveway off a main road and it's very handy that we don't need to reverse in off the road so plug can reach. The standard cable is 7m I think so well able to stretch. Good for anyone trying to avoid those awkward parking jobs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it's maybe slightly high, but not by much, i paid €1700 for a tethered zappi which required 20m of cable. The three other quotes that i got were all within a 100 of that. Bear in mind the zappi is the guts of 1k and 20m of armoured cable ain't cheap either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I paid €1400 (before grant) for a tethered Zappi back in March. We had a cable duct already prepared underground from the consumer unit out to the mounting point, but no wiring in place. Around 18 metres of cable was needed from house to charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

I had contacted EI about the smartzone charger. It will cost me €800 with the extra distance ( first 10m are included and it is €20 per meter over that). I got another quote of €1500 (€900 after grant) to install the Zappi. So going to go with that as I already have Eddi and solar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Because you are in the chain of Eddi, Solar and MyEnergi, i would also recommend the Zappi here too. Even if it's a little more expensive. It will integrate better.

Advertisement