Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which FTTH providers permit the use of your own router?

Options
  • 03-09-2022 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am currently with Pure telecom and I have their 1Gbps FTTH package. It has been great so far. I will be out of contract in December and at that point my price will jump up so I will be moving ISP.

I have a small issue at the moment and that is the WiFi on the Fritz! 7530 isn't great and I have parts of the house without coverage. Pure will happily allow me to use my own router. If I buy something to use now I don't want to be stuck with something I can't use. Do any of the other ISPs prohibit customers from using their own kit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Most of them allow your own router, but certain providers that also do phone/TV in addition to basic internet access have issues with 3rd party routers.

The issue being that your TV and/or phone service will not work (and can not be configured) on the 3rd party router. So if you're just depending on Internet Access, you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Thanks, you say most of them, do you know any of them who won't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sky don't allow it, although it is still possible to do it if you know what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’m thinking of moving to Sky but I want to retain my Fritzbox.

Where can I find out the settings I could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Just had SIRO line installed at my house 2 days ago and went with Sky (Broadband only) -- tl;dr 3rd party routers work fine so long as it supports VLAN tags. No issues.

Sky supplied their SR203 router, used by the installers only, which I instantly put back in the box (No dedicated WAN port, awful web interface, poor wireless, no mount points).

I'm using a TP-Link AX10 with the GPON ethernet going straight into the router WAN port + RE700X extender - just input the settings as seen below and it worked immediately. They are completely generic login details.

No loss of performance either -- 500/50 package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Very good! Last I knew you needed to use Wireshark to sniff out the DSL credentials but good to know they’ll accept a generic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Resurrecting an old thread but this post is linked to in a few places so for posterity it's still the best place for it - any experience with Sky Talk and a third party router? I've just got Sky Fibre/Talk installed and I know I can retire the Sky router with regards the internet connectivity but I'm not sure if the same is even possible with the VOIP Sky Talk we have that is routed through the.. router.

If not I'm thinking a switch connected to my NBI wall outlet that splits off to both my Sky Router (for Talk only) and to my third party router is the only solution.

Advertisement