Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old electrical and computer stuff

Options
  • 03-09-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm a well-retired electrician getting to the point of accepting I can't do, or I don't need this anymore, so I'm clearing out the stuff I kept "just in case" but haven't used.

Does all this go to recycling or is there anyone who would be interested in this gear.

Phone and PC/laptop PSU's, ethernet, phone, RCA connectors,Tv cables, power cables like kettle connector leads, and the likes.

I'm in Kildare north area

DIYman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,188 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could try this or something similar.

https://www.freecycle.org/town/KildareIE

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mens Sheds might take some of the cable stuff. Better quality / heavier gauge AV cables will probably actually sell on adverts - it can be ridiculously hard to get nice well made moulded RCA or even 3.5mm cables now, or solid adapters between cable types.

Old PSUs are usually not that useful - very old ones could easily have failed tantalum caps in them and go pop (and stink) when plugged in.

Older ethernet and phone cables are WEEE at this stage and I'd think anyone that needs kettle leads has crates of them already - I WEEEd two or three IKEA moving boxes of old cables when downsizing for a refurb last year.

You will suddenly need an obscure voltage, obscure shape barrel, negative tip PSU the day you get rid of them of course. Had to buy one or two things on ebay to replace what I'd dumped!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Facebook has local groups (including Freecycle) for passing on free stuff - I've found my local area group brilliant, items collected in 24 hours. Just do a search, join those with the most members. Or use a Kildare Buy & Sell FB page and mark your stuff 'free'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 d.i.y. man

Thanks, Everyone,

Great suggestions. I'll try local mans shed to start with.

Yes, it's the scenario about having to buy something I've just dumped/ had plenty of that niggles me.

It's happened previously.

Many thanks,

A clearer mind now on where to go. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Universities and ITs might take some pieces. Just another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, it's the scenario about having to buy something I've just dumped/ had plenty of that niggles me.

That's why lots of us can't bring ourselves to chuck those old AC adapters and phone chargers - 6/9/12/15V with multiple sizes of DC connectors. And I still have at least one pinhead Nokia charger!

Advertisement