Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class or SET teacher role

Options
  • 03-09-2022 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

We have a new SET teacher and they are now coming up with spelling lists for my class as a whole. Before I ask what is the story I'm just wondering would this be the usual in other schools? 14 years teaching and this has never arisen before. I'm a bit touchy about it as they also chose to contact me on Saturday afternoon about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Have taught in both roles in my experience that would not be the norm. Would definitely set boundaries around contact time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thanks for the reply. I have and am doing my own but have definitely caused upset by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If you haven't already, try to establish whether the SET is being bossy or is just enthusiastic and trying to impress in their new role/school. The latter is far easier to work with and get through to than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've heard of SEN but never SET. I hope this is not in a secondary school as if it is I must have dosed off in the Croke Park hours they devoted to it. Is the SEN assistant now called an SET teacher? I've never had the former do anything but stay at the back of the class or approach me for resources or answers to help the student. Maybe the whole class spelling list thing is part of that inclusive teaching stuff currently in vogue? 😁

Anyway, if she phoned you outside school hours that's not on. I wouldn't care what anybody emailed me outside school hours as I'm not reading it/it's going to sit there unread until I am back in school. However, if they said 'I emailed you three days ago' (including Saturday and Sunday) to make me look bad, I'd bring them up on it without delay.

Yeah, the overly enthuasiastic Pollyanna buzzword-loving "I'm sooooo responsible", know-it-all ambitious types just out of college are the worst. And every time I'm approached by our resident one, I know it's to give me more work. Fact. Hide/Avoid. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya it's still in transition.. all teachers are teachers of students with an educational need... therefore technically all teachers are SET.

But ... resource teachers, became learning support teachers, now are being referred to as SET, but the term 'Special' is being dropped as it's a bit demeaning. Updated term is Additional Educational Needs (as opposed to SEN).

Some schools refer to the learning support coordinator as the SET too! That's probably to get out of giving them the coordinator post and ....god forbid... an A2 or A1 post !!

As per Guidelines from the dept. The primary teaching/learning responsibility for a student with an additional need rests with the classroom subject teacher in secondary, not the Learning Support teacher. At the end of the day the classroom subject teacher carries the can and sits in front of the parent at the parents teacher meeting.

Tl:Dr the classroom teacher calls the shots... if they want to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement