Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Sky tv packages

Options
  • 04-09-2022 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is a basic sky tv package that costs less than 38e pm? It's next to impossible to get any information off their site. I'm a long time customer but 38 seems excessive considering I don't have movies or sport or HD and I don't have multi-room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would free to air satellite option be suitable?

e.g get a dish/aerial and something like a Zgemma h7s installed

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you want to stay with Sky and you aren't in a contract at present then call them and tell them you wish to leave as it's too expensive. You will definitely get an offer of a lower monthly payment to stay. You will however have to agree to stay for a further 12 months.

You can accept the first offer they make or play hardball/hold out and more often than not you will be given a better offer. The best offers can be had by proceeding with the cancellation and call them the day after the service has been cut off. Returning customers get good deals all the time.

It's 5 years or more since I've been with Sky so I wouldn't know about their prices but I believe the full price of the basic pack is somewhere close to 40e. My daughter left them recently despite getting an offer of 32e for the basic pack including a children's pack add-on. A mate of mine pays 21.50 a month for the basic pack. He negotiated that price when he rang to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah, I already have IPTV but my wife likes the sky plus features and the ability to set a program to record from the phone app. I would probably drop them but she would take some convincing.

The Linux based boxes like the Zgemma h7s have much the same functionality in as far as you can set up autotimers which are essentially the same as series link. Pause rewind, 7 day TV guide etc. if she can just set the timers from the tv remote instead of the phone then you’ll make a pretty big saving.

The Zgemma will even take iptv too and works fairly well from what I’ve seen although never had iptv on it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

I’m in the same boat as you, I ring up to cancel every year and get a rate of around €22. If I don’t I leave and they’ll call you back within the month with a deal. I’ve been doing this for years so much so that they didn’t even put up a fight this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I was recently on a 64.99 a month package that was nothing special, I just had an old legacy thing called news and documentary that included Eurosport, continuous customer over three properties and more than 20 years.

I asked for a Q upgrade last year when I wanted to include broadband and home phone in the deal. No dice. I complained and they said tough.

This year, I cancelled and they threw all sorts at me by way of offers and I said too late.

Three weeks after cancellation and I got an unsolicited call offering me my old package for 19.99 a month for 12 months. I said tough, too late. ANd take me off the call list, I don't want any more offers.

So, they are definitely willing to compromise, but not unless you threaten to leave on a regular basis, which is an apalling way to approach customer service.

Cancelled now for good. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sky is nuts price wise if you want all the sport channels.

I have hd with F1 and all the basic stuff for around 40 per month. F1 is a legacy deal as it originally became available with hd pack but I believe you must now take sports channel to get it so while I ring for a deal each year, I cannot really cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I don't do ball sports at all — none of it.

I have pleaded with them to do a motorsport pack: F1, Indie Car, touring cars, sports cars, MotoGP, Suberbikes, BSB, etc.

No deal. Can't be arsed.

I wanted BT Sports 2 for MotoGP — no deal. Had to take a rake of other bullshit I didn't want to get it.

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky offered the sports channels separately for a while - kind of the point of the 2017 move from numbers to names. Wouldn’t offer ROI customers the same deal though.

What the poster above is looking for will never happen, because motorsport rights are spread over a number of packages and not just with either Sky or BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

I was paying 43 per month until recently for a basic package. I rang them to cancel and they offered a reduction and addtional options also. I can't remember the full details as I wasn't interested as I wanted to get rid of the box. If you are out of contract they are very likely to offer you something to remain with them. Worth a phone call at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I'm currently paying E69 for BB and basic sky packages. Fibre is now in my park, rang and firstly they wanted E50 for installation and an extra E19 per month.. straight away I said no. He comes back with free installation and E9 extra per month, still said no.

My contract is up Nov/Dec and they emailed me yesterday offering a new contract , in all may years with SKY they have never contacted me to advise a new contract with "lower prices " It is still too expensive and it didn't mention fibre .

I can get Vodafone for E35 with some sky channels E20 extra. I reckon with the current crisis SKY is a luxury item and a lot of people will be cancelling

Called again today but I'm still a week early she said. No dice really with reducing the prices, I want fibre as it is now available for me. The sky lite for e10 she would give me but I watch a lot of sky Atlantic, witness etc. and they are not included. So see what they say next week to cancel. I have the now tv entertainment stick for 2 months so could be an option and then maybe go back as a new customer...decisions , decisions

Me again , I rang today to cancel and they believed me !! I was hoping for a better price and fibre broadband they said it would be E83 per month...16 years I'm with them .

Vodafone broadband an option along with sky tv 35 plus 20 sky, then now tv for sky Atlantic etc. I'm still in shock , as I really thought I could get a better offer .......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm with Sky a long time - 12 years and only just really realising now how expensive it is for what we are getting. The bill is now at 78e a month which is ridiculous - we just have the old Sky+ boxes (multiroom) and Sky Signature and Kids channels. I think I rang them a few years back looking for a better deal (when it was chepear) and they wouldn't budge even though I'm a "Platinum VIP Member" according to them when I log into my account. I live with my parents so, my mum especially, finds it great for recording her programmes, so I don't really want to leave but at the same time 78e is absolutely nuts. Has anyone been onto them recently and was successful in getting a better deal? I'm a loyal customer so it's a bloody disgrace that this isn't acknowledged. I'm pretty sure from reading this thread that I am the highest paying Sky customer out there 😂

Cancel and sign up again in your mums name. Loyalty means nothing these days. Switch or barter them down every year. Alternatively you could look at other free to air options giving you all the free uk satellite and saorview channels. After the inital outlay for a box and aerial you'd pay nothing.

Have a look at the big Zgemma H7S thread on here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you want football and some other sports,the latest movies and certain kids channels then you'll have to pay for the privilege no matter who you go with.

If you are only looking at a subset of SKY then see what's on NowTV - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058086783/now-tv-latest-deal-codes/ when the stars align the entertainment package can be as little as €3 per month

Saorview + Freesat + switching between NowTV / Netflix / Amazon / Disney depending on what series you watch is a bit more work than one box that does everything. At this stage a decent TV should cover Saorview and many of the TV apps, only some LG's give you Freesat too without too many button presses.

SKY BB can be got for €35 a month https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/sky Fibre , if you can get it means you can switch to another provider for a year and back again as long as you aren't dependent on their TV box.

Advertisement