Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What constituted a room in 1911 census?

• 04-09-2022 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Apologies folks if this topic has been covered before but I have searched and cannot find the info I am looking for.

As the thread title said, I am hoping to establish what constituted a room as recorded in the 1911 census.

I assume bedrooms, living rooms dining rooms and perhaps kitchens were recorded as rooms.

Were hallways and bathrooms also included does anyone know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, that's a good question. I suspect only rooms like bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, etc were counted. Most properties would not have had any bathroom at that time. Hallways and bathrooms are not counted in the current censuses.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭kildarejohn

The number of rooms seems to have been counted in an odd way. In a house occupied by one of my ancestors, it went from 5 rooms in 1901 to 4 rooms in 1911 - I am sure from maps/old photos etc that house was never reconstructed; my guess would be that one room that was a bedroom in 1901 became disused or a storeroom in 1911 and so was not counted. The "number of windows in front of house" also reduced, so it looks like they only counted windows in occupied rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

I think the 'odd' room might have been what was called a scullery and when houses did not have kitchens like we have today. Cooking was done on a range in room that was also a living room, a scullery was were the water source was and maybe pantries or larders formed extra storage for kitchen items and food so a series of small spaces not counted as rooms.

Advertisement