Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Next Door to Social House

Options
  • 04-09-2022 7:26pm

Just hoping to get some opinions here as I'm not sure how much of a concern this should be.

My husband and I have been looking at houses for months now and have finally had an offer accepted on a house we love. So far so good.

We have just discovered that the house next door (which we would be attached to) was recently bought by the local council for social housing. It's currently vacant but presumably won't be for too long.

The estate overall is a mature one, built in the 70s, generally pretty quiet.

I know that the vast majority of social housing tenants are decent people who would cause no trouble, so this is absolutely not meant as a bashing thread. However there is surely a risk of getting a really awful neighbour? And if that happens, how seriously would the council deal with complaints?

We love the house and really want to proceed, but I'm wondering if we're taking a bit of a gamble here. Would be great to get some opinions from people who have been in similar situations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Even if it wasn't earmarked for social housing, you could get the neighbours from Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

Have you any second choice house?

We did but it went into a bidding war and we've been priced out. That has happened to us a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your typical one liner adding nothing.

@Flying Fox There's no reason to automatically assume a social housing tenant will be a bother. It could be rented to somebody who doesn't give a toss about the house or area. Or you could have owner occupiers who are the neighbours from hell.

All in all neighbours get on and the odds are you will have no issues.

That's true, but I think it's less likely with private buyers.

• Advertisement

Yea I see it with a few buyers I know at the moment. Demand is high. Know your cut off point and run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Iguarantee

I can empathise.

If it's any consolation (it may not be); you can end up with bad next-door neighbours no matter what you buy, unless you buy a detached property with a lot of land (you own) around it.

I believe 10% of new builds are designated as social housing? What your describing is a reality for people buying brand new houses. I'm, shamelessly, one of those people that doesn't want to pay my hard earned money to live next to someone that got their house for next to nothing.

I'd guess that mixing standard and social housing is there to relieve the lack of housing but also to possible diminish the disparity between standard people and those on social welfare. I believe that starts with education; don't bother doing anything beyond your leaving cert....you'll get a free house while all the other saps are working to pay off their six figure mortgages. Why should someone who pays 500k for a house have to live next door (or as good as) to someone who paid nothing?

You have swung and missed there, I was asking the op on demand. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Walk away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I lived near a social home once, it was managed perfectly well, but even then there is no controlling the kids. They had a little game of going down the road and throwing rocks at every window on the street. They especially liked it if anyone came out "what ya gonna do about it"

Personally, I'll do anything to dodge them. I'm sure there will be many here angry at me for sharing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I rented a house between 2 council homes

On one side a single mom who was a very nice person and a nice family

The other side a family mom and dad and 3 children, and they were a nightmare. The dad was just out of jail for dealing heroin and was dealing again from the house a very dangerous man who made it his mission to ruin what was a lovely estate. It was fine for me as I was renting and could leave but the homeowners with a mortgage were stuck.

My honest advice is do not buy that house unless you can handle the worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

So you wouldn't want to live next door to someone who's parents set up a trust fund to buy their children a house, or someone who inherited their one? You'd prefer to live beside someone like my neighbour, the local drug dealer who spent €400,000 of his "hard earned" cash on a lovely house that now's in complete disrepair, surrounded with dog kennels filled with dogs that bark all night? Raided by the Guards bi-annually but is never arrested and beats the **** out of his girlfriend on a fairly regular basis, but at least he pays his mortgage.

Thanks for the replies. It's a tough one, the house is exactly what we're looking for in a really nice estate. It's the uncertainty that's a killer. Would probably be fine, but if it's not it could be a disaster.

We still can't decide.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There are no statistics on if someone in social housing would be a good or a bad neighbour. Nor are there stats on who is likely to buy a house, so any house you buy could have social housing nearby.

It's a coin toss really. I'd go by the area rather than the specific house. If the area is nice, then hopefully the family that moves in will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

We bought a house next door a house the council had a lease on. Quiet housing estate, built 25 years ago in a nice area. It was a family. 2 heroin addict parents and 3 children. They never caused us a moments grief. But it was sad. Kids weren't always fed, or washed.

Sometimes they'd call in to us and my wife would give them a plate of dinner and that, but only now and then as she was afraid it'd encourage their parents to just give up completely on the kids if there were getting fed elsewhere all the time. They've since moved on, and council tenancy finished on the house. Like i said, sad, but never a peep out of them or any trouble.

Meanwhile a house across from ours had rooms rented individually. One guy in that house was dealing. There'd be a string of people in and out all the time any time day or night. Residents came together on a bit of surveillance and involved the gardai, who raided one time based on resident tips, found large sums of cash and drugs and yer man was taken away. And that wasn't a council house.

As I said, nice modest housing estate in a nice part of town. You never know who you're going to get to live beside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

As long as you go into it with your eyes open.

Do all the checks you can but ultimately you cannot control who your neighbour is.

If the area ticks all your boxes & you can see yourself living there for at least 15 years, go for it.

Don''t buy to sell again in a few years....that could cost you...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Madeoface

As other posters said, eyes open on this. I'd ring the council to do my research as to what families are the priority in the area. Or whether the likes of Focus rented it (defo worrying if its them) on behalf of the council.

Also, is it an older mature council estate where former tenants bought out the property?

Lots of variables. I lived beside an estate that was a 10% development plonked beside mature private homes. Wasn't a good experience at all. But I've had problems with private rentals too. No place is risk free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

OP my advice is this go up to the estate late on a Saturday night and observe for an hour or so, then I would knock into both sets of neighbors on Sunday morning around 11ish (if they like a drink/drugs you will probably catch them hungover or at their worse) and it will give you an inkling of what you may be dealing with if you buy. Simply knock in and say I am thinking of buying next door what do you think of the estate and you will be able to gauge them. I have always done this before buying.

Thanks, we'll get in touch with the council and get as much info as we can.

It's a private estate built in the 70s, so most of the owners would be elderly people or younger couples/families who have bought more recently. It's generally pretty quiet.

• Advertisement

The street seems fine as of now. The issue is that the house next door will have council tenants going in at some point and we have no idea who that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

Ah sorry I thought there were already in. Well I guess it all depends on your situation. If it were me I would not be buying it as its probably the most expensive decision you will ever make in your life and it could turn out to be really nasty if someone moves in next door who is not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Don't do it.

I live in a private estate and the council bought the house next door to us about 12 years ago. For the first 6 years there was an African woman and her three kids there and they were a pleasure to live beside for the most part.

Then it lay empty for a year before being completely renovated and young traveller family moved in on a temporary basis. They were fine except the guy was a scrap collector so the front and back gardens would be covered in washing machines, lawn mowers, bikes etc. They were there for 3 months and they were always pleasant and not very noisy.

Then it was empty for about 8 months and renovated again. This time another young traveller family who would stay in the house for a few days and then it'd be vacant for 6-10 days. They always had lots of overnight guests when they did stay. There'd be screaming and roaring all night. One day I turned the corner coming home and was met by 5 squad cars clogging the road and about 15 Garda outside their house, something to do with a shoplifting spree. There was an all merciful row one day on the street between the main couple in the house and they moved out the following day.

The house was empty again for most of Covid before being renovated and leased to a well know charity short term. A middle aged woman and her teenage kids moved in. They were pleasant enough if you met them outside but the killings that used to go on there all night were horrendous. Thankfully they weren't there long but they left the house in an absolute state and it's been sitting vacant now for about 6 months. Weeds up to the windows, blinds hanging off inside, a layer of dead flies lining the window sills. In a row of 8 nice, well maintained houses, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

You could get lucky and get great neighbours from the council. I have friends who are council tenants who I'd love to live beside .You could buy beside private and get terrible neighbours. But in MY experience, I would advise against buying next to council.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No matter where you purchase these days, there is every chance that a Local Authority will end up purchasing a house or apartment beside you or within your vicinity. They are greatly increasing their housing stock in mature development's. Before you really only had to worry about it when purchasing in a new development due to Part V allocations, but that’s all changed now.

Local Authorities have been given a serious amount of funding by Central Government to increase their social or affordable housing stock. Part V allocations in new developments aren't satisfying their requirements, so they are more than happy to shell out serious cash to purchase in older developments. It’s also their policy to pursue diversification of communities.

You're in a good position in that you can do your research and go into the purchase eyes wide open, but people should be aware that having no social or affordable housing in your vicinity at time of purchase is no guarantee that it will remain that way indefinetely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well I'm aware of DCC purchasing a couple of units within my own development within the last three months alone and it would be in breach of that policy. They are either ignoring it, or perhaps it's something to do with closing out sales that were already in motion.

Either way I can't see that policy remaining in force should Sinn Féin enter Government. Purchases outside Part V are the quickest way for Local Authorities to increase their housing stock.

OP, at least five houses have been bought on my road, in my private 80s estate over the last couple of years including the one directly next door to me.

They've all worked out fine. No issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭billyhead

The house next door to me was purchased by the council and refurbished for council tenants. It was a shame to see the house up for sale privately and like ashow house inside but the council ripped up the flooring etc and modified the kitchen. Anyway an African family of about 6 people moved in and they don't cause any problems and generally keep to themselves and mix amongst there own people. It's a lotto who you can get. Best of luck with the decision OP. I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would want to know why the house you are buying is for sale, did the owners have a bad experience and move. Why is the house next door empty did something happen?

• Advertisement

The house we're buying was a family home for years, kids grew up and moved out and the elderly parents passed away recently.

The house next door was only bought by the council late last year. May well have been a similar situation that led to it going up for sale. No indication that there's been any issue in the area up to now, it's the potential future tenants I'm concerned about.

Advertisement