Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Next Door to Social House

Options
1234568»

Comments

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your reply is an entirely predictable evasion.. If you read my posts? One reason I came out here was to get away from , well, folk who think as you do. Only been here a few years. I know the reality very very well I assure you from decades in the UK as well as in Ireland. If council estates are ghettos they have been made in large part as ghettoes by folk like those here insisting less well off folk all be put together in identical matching houses . Uniformity. And of course this leads to the possibility of social problems. Especially when the Gardai take little or no interest or action when trouble starts. Which I assure you is the case on offshore islands. After all I am a social tenant!!!!! Leper! Unclean!!! All of the examples you quote started with ONE crime, yes crime, left unchecked by An Gardai Siochana. Think about it? The fact that you have gone to the trouble of working out statistics! And never taken this into account. There was one thread way back of a man in a flat with a repeatedly aggressive neighbour. He called the Gardai when he had been attacked and all they suggested was that he should move.. Nothing was or is done re anti social and criminal behaviour . I would not want you as a neighbour by the way. lol,, and now they are trying to dilute the ghettoes hoping that this will lessen by example the bad behaviour.. But when there are attitudes such as we see here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re

I think we should move away from the current method of allocating social housing and instead reserve social housing for those who have a history of working, are retired or sick. Those who don't have a history of working can go on the HAP system and find their own accommodation.

I'd cut it the other way: social housing should only be for those unable to work.

HAP and mortgage assistance used for people with work history.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

People seem to confuse sometimes certainties with probabilities.

While I agree that it is bad to generalize or discriminate on any grounds, merely pointing out that scenario A is more likely than scenario B is politically incorrect nowadays.

Those who insist living next door to a social house/estate doesn't entail any additional risk or inconvenience, should ask themselves how many high end developments are also mixed...

Helping those who can't help themselves might well be a moral obligation for any healthy society, but we got so carried away with it we don't seem to distinguish between having a roof over one's head vs affording the same standard of living a middle class earner should have (often with less effort). Mixing is suddenly a great idea, but as long as it's between social homes and the middle class homes, not with the "elites".

The claim that the wealth gap between rich and poor is ever increasing with no middle class in between is often met with derision.

But until Micheal Martin or the Apple VP in Ireland share the neighborhood (or the wall) with social tenants, we shouldn't single out the middle class as hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 genie123

Id advise against it, my neighbour's sold their house to the council 10 years ago and the tenant now is a pig, Garden is destroyed and smell of dog dirt which is over powering in the summer. He smashed the stain glass window in his front door and never replaced he has just cardboard in it instead. Its embarrassing for me when I've people calling.

Have emailed both Waterford and Kilkenny County council about him as not sure which one its under and they just ignore me. My mam and and I've several friends who grew up in council houses and they treated their property with respect, it just you can be unlucky like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The only time I ever got anything out of a local authority to my satisfaction was when I went to my local councillor. If I was you, I'd approach a cllr in the first instance. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Interesting table, thanks.

Do those numbers include tenants on HAP?

HAP is still a form of Social Welfare, but they may be covered under a different scheme that does not reflect on this table?

What do you mean by mortgage assistance though?

We could also consider cost rentals only going to those working, and increase the affordable home scheme.

Encourage people to buy their property as much as possible and even if they only own a stake in an affordable home, it is still "their stake" and is much more likley to be treated with respect.

Pride in home ownership is bound to have positive effects for neighbours etc also.

Indeed.

There are no social homes in the high end private developments. But I think this is only right.

It wouldn't be fair to put an unemployed social tenant in a 2 million euro apartment in Ballsbridge, but I do take your point that the wealthy dont experience the problems with social tenants that the middle earners do.

Personally, I would suggest people avoid buying new build properties, since the liklehood of the Local council buying up social homes, on top of their 10% or 20% allocation is quite real.

We have created a scenario where it is cheaper for the councils to purchase than it is for them to build their own homes.

The councils have targets for social housing, so the easiest and cheapest option, is to buy up as many homes in new private developments, as possible.

Prices are cheaper and the properties are empty, so they can be purchased without the complication of sitting tenants.

A private buyer wanting to avoid social housing neighbours, would generally be better buying in a settled, second hand development.

Which is a crazy state of affairs, but nonetheless, is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We moved in beside a council house a few years ago. Never an issue with the tennant who, I would argue, is more community driven than we are. The council on the other hand are sitting on their hands about shared chimney stack repairs we raised with them last year

To be completely fair, we could be having the exact same issues with a private landlord or a private occupier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

42% of all new builds last year were purchased by LAs,AHBs or institutional Investors. So you can bet your last euro that more than 10% of any new build estates are going towards social housing. Certainly in major cities.

Yep. Its some crazy numbers alright. Really doesnt help private buyers get on the ladder either.

Hadnt realised it was as high as 42%. Thats even worse than I thought!

Yeah was shocked when I saw the total figure. Knew it was higher than the 10% but didn't think be as high as 42%. But then again, the government are throwing bottomless amounts of cash at the homeless issue to try save face. Criminal to think though that as a first time buyer you are directly bidding against the State. Pay your taxes and that's what you get in return. If you didn't have the State directly meddling in first time buyer market for new builds you wouldn't see as high as price inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Werent you looking for some strong men to help you get two waster unemployed locals who live near you who had kidnapped your cat?

If you had young children would you hjave wanted them living next door to that neighbor though. Would you have been comfortable with yuour kids running in and out of the neighbors house with their kids and vice versa like most kids do with neighbors kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

The house next door to me is social housing and thank god the tenants are wonderful. They take great pride in their home and are very approachable.

there is a house oppositethat the council have but that family are a nightmare. The father tried keeping a horse in the back garden. The council bring a skip to their house 3-4 times a year to clear out the hoarded rubbish that accumulates in their garden. Their kids are feral. I feel sorry for the kids as they have had no rearing at all.

That reminds me of horrible family in a house where a I used to live. Social tenants in it. The council just left the giant bins you would see outside the back of shops in the front garden. They still wouldnt even put the rubbish in those properly and the council would come along and sort the recycling skip from the rubbish skip every month with a special bin truck just for that family.

Feral kids too. That one family is the reason at least 6 houses were sold there. And what do the council do? Bought some of those houses that were sold and moved relatives of these people into them. People selling used to pray that potential buyers wouldnt take a drive around the corner. So glad we sold nearer the start of that. Felt sorry for anyone who actually lived around the corner who had to sell. Havent kept up with the place since. I often thought about taking a drive down to see if it has gotten any worse, but never bothered. Just glad to be out of it.

Worst part was that were were some lovely families who got the social allocation and had to ask to be moved due to that family. Total case of one rotten apple destroying everything.

You would think it would have been easier to take the one rotten apple out of the barrel and put it somewhere else. It would seem thats not what happens.

This issue with problematic residents like that is, the council will take the stance of what's the point in putting resources into finding them alternative accommodation when you're just going to have the same issues/complaints in the new location.

They should at least charge them for the waste disposal. Deduction from benefits.

If they manage their own rubbish in the future like everyone else, no additional charges, same as everyone else.

Why do councils find it so hard to treat people equitably.

Continuing to fund these tenants poor lifestyles is the last thing that will ever bring about a positve change.

Not to mention its costing the tax payer non essential spend, forever.

Thats a good point. Everyone thinks that problem council tenants will get moved on but they never are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I have two young kids who thankfully arrived after they'd left. And abso-effin-lutely not would I have liked them in their house, it'd have been flat out VERBOTEN.

Advertisement