Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfrey, Mullein, Holy basil...where to source them

Options
  • 04-09-2022 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I really want to plant comfrey, mullein and holy basil in my garden but have not been able to source them. Could you recommend somewhere where I might get them. Either seeds or plants. Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This crowd sell comfrey and mullein, they also sell basil - not sure if that's the same as holy basil - but you would really need a greenhouse for it, its a tender annual.

Edit, I got interested so I checked it up - Holy Basil and the basil used in cooking are not the same thing

Is basil same as holy basil?

Although the names may sound similar, the origin of these plants are different. The biological nomenclature of Holy Basil is Ocimum Tenuiflorum whereas the scientific name for Basil is Ocimum Basilicum. However, both Basil variants belong to the same Lamiaceae family.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Brown Envelope Seeds have Tulsi (Holy Basil) https://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=tulsi&Submit= I have used this seed from there with sucess. Seedaholic have mullein and comfrey. Is there a GIY group near you? I would think that many gardeners would have comfrey and only too willing to share. Just decide which type you want.

If you want ready to use mullein (already dried) Solaris Tea (Galway) sells it https://solarisbotanicals.com/collections/all

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Wow had a look at that site Seeds Ireland Looks good - have you used their seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry, I can't recall whether I have bought from them or just looked at the site, I think my d.i.l. has which is why the site is familiar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Gardens For Life in Roscommon probably have comfrey and mullein. I have grown holy basil for the last few years using seed from Irish Seed Savers; it does fine outside in the garden so long as I manage to keep the slugs away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

Garden for life should also have Tulsi Holy basil. I got a packet from them few months ago

Advertisement