Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Man Videoing Garda Stations

Options
  • 04-09-2022 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

In the UK there is this craze on YouTube with auditors where they'll visit police stations and audit them by filming for public interest. The man in the video I've posted has decided to go to the next level by visiting Ireland just to film Garda stations here. Seems like he's breaking the law doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mHbA17zO8&ab

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always find the individuals who go around filming Garda stations, truck depots, prisons, you name it are just ones out looking for confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Maybe he'll be able to solve the mystery of the missing R in the thread title and OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why do they need to be confronted at all if they aren't doing anything illegal though.

Wanna get you and me on the same page let's talk about the Cart Narc instead. Says he wears a bulletproof vest now. That is a man out looking for confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

This sort of thing is common in America, obviously, it's catching on over here now. seem like some weird group.

They basically just stand there and film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Sad individuals with no lives crying out for some attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I find this disturbing. I can't watch over 10 mins.

Why did he do this, is the question.

edit:typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

His oxygen is attention and confrontation… so unless he’s committing a crime leave him at it. Don’t even offer a simile or hello, let him get riled and frustrated and irritated, he’ll either fûck off home or do something that might be cause for arrest.

Attention seekers… best way to deal is to starve them of what they seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

yeah watched one the other day where the dingbat made a big fuss about flying his drone over a factory of some sort. looked to be chemical processing or some sort of primary substance location.

i thought maybe the factory might be embroiled in some sort of controversy or politics of some kind, but no, there was no real background story from what i could tell by the end.

no real reason. just another annoying crank doing his annoying crank thing.

a giant meteorite is long overdue for this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With the whole gangland situation and the threat of counter intelligence against Guards one would think it would be obvious why you shouldn't film around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Guy is a gobshite

says he done his research and then mumbling and hasn’t a clue

only one way to deal with him

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Watched his irishtown video, the gardai came across very poorly and borderline racist. His Lucan one is hilarious 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

What an absolute numpty. I long for the days when the Gardai could drag idiots like this around the back of the station and give him a good kicking. The lack of respect for the police seems to be spreading from America unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He comes across as an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There was a thread on this nutter before. Attention seeking twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Problem is with each thread, people click on it and he think he gets like

Dislike every time you click on it, he is a plonker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Gardai come off a lot worse than the guy filming in the Irishtown video. Big ogreish looking fella had a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭elperello

How is wandering around filming on a phone an audit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Watched the Irishtown video there - while yer man filming is obviously an attention seeker the gardaí in the video did themselves no favours.

It’s not illegal to film things in public - there’s no presumption of privacy in a public space.

The gardaí appeared to lack knowledge of the law surrounding this area and instead just resorted to bully/intimidation tactics to try and cow him. That or they knew he wasn’t actually breaking any laws but tried to pretend that he was in order to raise a threat of prosecution.

Either way, they didn’t look great. Should’ve just ignored yer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,238 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Out and out troublemakers. Surely there is some nuisance/intimidatory law there to invoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They think they are checking the sanctity of the first amendment rights.

While I do think yer man is a troublemaker and pain in the arse I’d be very wary of any of that - the Gardaí are public servants of the law, unless they are actively in the middle of an undercover investigation they should have no problem with being filmed in the conductance of their duties.

They would’ve been best served to just ignore him after asking their first few questions. Nobody’s going to watch a twenty minute video of a building. It’s them getting frustrated and uppity with them that brings in the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

the idea that people can go into garda stations and start asking questions and the like with a camera is ridiculous lock him up and let him see how much he likes that part of the station

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Perfect reply. Thank you , I saw the UK version and the words from "Alice" come tomind, " He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases." ,, he is DARING them and goading them to arrest him.. Infantile, Literally

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not wasting 20 minutes of my life on this nonsense.

The people doing this need to get a life, sad twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

Would there be an equivalent of Sec.268 of the Defence Act for Garda Stations?

(1) If any person, without lawful authority, makes or attempts to make any sketch, drawing, photograph, picture, painting, model or note of any fort, battery, field work, fortification or any military work of defence, aerodrome, barracks, post, magazine, munition factory, stores depot or any other Government property occupied or partly occupied by the Defence Forces or any portion thereof, such person shall be guilty of an offence under this subsection and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds or, at the discretion of the court, imprisonment for any term not exceeding twelve months,

(4) Any member of the Defence Forces or of the Garda Síochána may without warrant arrest any person who he has reasonable grounds to believe has committed an offence under this section and bring him before a Justice of the District Court to be dealt with according to law.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Aren't there laws against harrassment? Following people around with a camera is harrassment? Filming them at their place of work while they carry out their duties is harrassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Attention seeking arsehole. Someone should do the same on him and follow him once he leaves his house.

I had a look for 2 minutes. In it he says "I went up to the counter to tell you". So the arsehole is obviously going in and announcing himself and then turning on the camera later to make it look like he has been approached

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Looks perfectly legal to me Not watched any videos dont have time for fools. I'm sure there will be the same cries about Garda wanting body cams. GDPR is no issue either as a private individual only one person needs to agree and that's the person holding the camera. For example in Dublin city there is nowhere you can go without being filmed. IIRC they can still put cameras in toilets and changing rooms. Just as no one monitors them. There used to facilitate Garda if a crime has been committed in those areas.

• Advertisement

As far as I’m aware there’s no equivalent, think it only extends to military facilities

Advertisement