Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker mortgage - when to consider fixing?

• 05-09-2022 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

My tracker rate is 1.25+ECB. Up until recently that's been working great but with the recent ECB hikes I'd see it going to 2%+.

Based on what I see, standard variable will start rising next ECB round but there is a conversation around getting a fixed mortgage at a lower rate.

Once I give up my tracker its gone and fixed mortages are not long enough really 4-5 years. These things are cyclical so with 20 years left on mortgage will tracker always work out cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

With 20 years left you would be crazy to give up your tracker unless you got a decent 20 year fixed rate.

Banks generally charge 2-3% over ecb on their fixed rates.

Your tracker is 1.25%

Medium and long term your tracker is best.

Avoid short term gain. You will have long term pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Similar situation here. Have tracker with Ulster Bank of ECB + 0.95%. Balance €93k or thereabouts and about 11 years remaining. Very strongly considering moving while the going is good to a 10 year fixed at 2.8% - and when I say strongly considering, I have the rate change form completed and in the envelope ready to go! I would be almost certain that my tracker rate will be over 2.8% by next spring at the latest.......but as to how long it will stay there, who knows? The certainty of the fixed proving hugely attractive to me at the moment. Am I mad to change?!

Advertisement