Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detecting underfloor heading pipes

• 05-09-2022 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, looking to put in a sunken matt well into tiled floor at back door. There is not enough clearance between back door and existing tiled floor to put a matt.

Tiles are sitting on 75mm concrete screed, there is underfloor heading pipes in the screed aswell.

Is there a way of / tool to be able to detect the centers of the underfloor pipes so I know where to be extra careful when taking up tiles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 finnyob

A "CAT and Genny" would do this for you, Genny applies a small electrical current to the pipework that can be detected with the CAT, though I don't know if it's possible to get these for hire generally. Of course this is no use to you if the pipework is not conductive e.g qualpex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If it was me I've borrow a Fluke Infrared Thermometer gun point it at the floor to see the hottest spots as the floor heats up.

However I'm not sure you really need to know where the pipework is? Even if its directly under the tiles you can start really carefully until you find your first pipe then work up it around the top and back down the next pipe run.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement