Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Blowing the Patriots out in primetime like it's 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,284 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to know how much time the Patriots D were on the field in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Only 9/14, another terrible round. Fu£k U Patriots, Jaguars, Bucs, Chargers and the mighty Packers.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

10-4 takes me to 64-44 on the season.

Some big upsets there alright but I suppose they all felt like they were coming in a way. Bucs and Packers have been shaky at best up to now so well done Panthers and Commanders for not playing the reputations and just playing what was in front of them. I know the Bucs Offence has been bad but their D looked really terrible in this game. I wonder if Bowles moving into the head coach role has left the D under coached a bit? Or maybe it's the couple of personnel losses in the off-season coming back to bite them.

Surprised to see the Pats struggle so badly on MNF but again the Bears have looked like a team improving over the last couple of weeks and maybe this shouldn't have been totally unexpected. They're actually quite similar to the Pats in their game plan I think and if anything beat them at their own game last night. Fields looks like a special talent that might be just starting to come into his own. Looking forward to watching him develop as the season progresses.

Almost at the half way point already, mad how quickly the season rushes past!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Sad to see Robinson go for the Jags. He was one of the few bright spots the last couple of years. I get it as he has really struggled after contact this year and Travis has been electric.

Guessing Pats have to go with Bailey but man he went out there, won the game and then sort of stalled out.

Edit: Bill is saying the plan was always to play both due to the ankle. Mac was running a lot for a guy with a bad ankle though and benching right after the pick is harsh. They did say at the half that they intended both QBs to play in the 2nd half. So guessing Mac gets another shot next game.

Not a fan of the boos for Mac. He is one game back from injury and did a lot for the team last year. If he gets benched, he gets benched but the jeers were harsh for someone who has given the crowd a lot to cheer about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

American fans will boo their own players at the drop of a hat, doesn't matter what the player has done in the past. It's shocking how quick they are to turn on their team. I thought Zappe looked great early but a lot of guys like that have a great opening couple of games until teams figure them out and he got snuffed as the game wore on.

I know the Bears had a couple of wins earlier in the year, but this was the first one where we actually played well, actually WON the game instead of just either fluking it (9ers in the rain) or just meeting a sad sack team that's even worse than us (Texans). Fields still made some serious errors of judgment in the passing game, but he was looking down field better than before and there's signs of progress. Much more worrying is the ongoing crappiness of our oline on passing plays (they are great on running plays), especially the return of Sam Mustipher at center. Our defense was great last night, especially to bounce back after Zappe had two spectacular passes in a row that led to TDs and should really have broken the D's resolve. Signs of progress overall, I still don't see us making the playoffs, but that's OK in a rebuilding year. Although with how middling everyone in the NFC has been this year, anything is possible.

Great to win against a good Pats team though, but a bigger challenge again next week by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

9 and 5 this week move to 59 and 48 happy with that after last weeks bad performance,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, very harsh by the crowd. Just shooting themselves in the foot with it being so hard for a young QB to get over that experience.

Presume some fans were/are deluded and arrogant enough to think that every late round QB that shows some promise has a chance to turn into a starter or even a Brady.

• Advertisement

Mac threw 2 TDs and five ints before the injury. He comes back in and does nothing until he throws another int. It's not surprising that fans are unhappy about that when the rookie who got a chance had the highest QB rating of any starter in the NFL and had two wins from two starts.

It's got nothing to do with him being a later round pick, it's to do with the season turning into a positive one while Bailey was starting. It's completely understandable for them to be impatient with Mac based on his performance this season which has been very poor when you've got a young man sitting on the bench who came in and lit up the place.

And Zappe won't get figured out, he stays in the pocket and checks down. There's no figuring out that.

At the end of last night he was taking chances as it was a situation where they needed to score fast to have any chance. His only mistake for me in his young career was the fumble last night where he pushed the ball past the hands of Meyer.

I'm a big fan of Mac and I felt sorry for him last night but it's clear he has a lot of work to do. He's throwing a lot of bad balls to double and triple coverage on long and medium passes when there's options available underneath. The kid has the talent for sure but he has to be less aggressive and take what's available.

Zappe looks very talented too and if Mac doesn't get going he's going to end up being benched. Belichick is always going to pick the best man available and like all the greatest coaches in every sport he's ruthless.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

They booed mac immediately before he did anything good or bad.

Bailey did little of note last night. Good pass into pressure to Stevenson and the Pats schemed Meyers open brilliantly though a bad pass nearly ruined it. After that the game took over and Bailey couldn't compete in a game where he had to pass and without great field position.

NE have ended up with 2 very good back ups. Obviously not a great evening for the defense but mobile QBs have been NEs undoing a few times. Maybe Bailey will grow but it is hard to see how he improves without a different body.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Nobody here picked Bears or Cardinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

Woo hoo, one hour earlier to bed this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

It's amazing that you forgot about the pass to Parker. That you don't mention all the offensive line penalties.

That the 'bad play' from Bailey included multiple failed catches. Late in the game he made mistakes but that's when they were three scores down and it was necessary to move the ball quickly to have any chance.

He did overthrow receivers a couple of times and the fumble was his fault but the big problem for the Patriots was the offensive line which didn't do a good job on pass protection and commited multiple penalties. Mac suffered because of that too but he made some stupid throws into double and triple coverage like he's been doing all season.

We have two starters and one isn't playing well right now. He needs talking to about taking risks when there's open receivers underneath. He's not in Alabama where his receivers were miles better than the defensive backs and he's not in training camp where it's more relaxed than full game speed and the likes of Parker catches everything you throw his way.

Mac Jones started with an incomplete pass followed by a pass for -1 yard then a 6 yard run, then on the next drive he was sacked then a 2 yard pass and we ended up with a second three and out. That's when the boos started.

We had Bailey Zappe playing outstanding football the previous two weeks so it's not a surprise that they started booing as they wanted the star from the previous two weeks and not the guy who wasn't looking good and had thrown for 2 TDs and 5 ints before his injury.

And I like Mac and I think he'll be a great one, just needs to fix a few things and he'll be the starter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, it all goes down to fans overestimating their QBs (which is a flaw of most fanbases). Fans can understandably be unhappy by QB performance but I can't remember a case of a 2nd year QB in his 4th game that was picked in the first round getting booed off the field after leading his team to the playoffs in his first year - it is toxic, self-damaging, and driven from entitlement.

Coming into the season some clearly only saw the good of Jones last year and ignored his obvious issues and presumed continued improvements from the rookie QB that was most likely to be close to his ceiling when he entered the league, while then getting sucked in by a QB getting an absolute armchair ride for two games against poor teams, along with a third where the team might be decent but is playing incredibly poorly and didnt even expect for Zappe to be on the field so didnt prepare.

What we're seeing is QBs who don't have the physical tools struggling to play when the pressure is on in difficult situations, I'm experiencing similar with the Jimmy G 2022 experience. Luckily for the Patriots, the next 3 games are against pretty weak offenses so I wouldn't be surprised if they get good game scripts and whoever is the QB in place will be hyped up again.

Will the Bucs be able to bounce back and bear the Ravens at home?? Home and Away don’t seem to matter so much in this like it does in other sports, why is that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Week 8

Thursday Night 1.15am

Ravens @ Buccaneers

Sunday 1.30pm

Broncos @ Jaguars (Wembley)

Sunday 5pm

Patriots @ Jets

Panthers @ Falcons

Bears @ Cowboys

Dolphins @ Lions

Cardinals @ Vikings

Raiders @ Saints

Steelers @ Eagles

Sunday 8.25pm

Titans @ Texans (8.05pm)

Commanders @ Colts

49ers @ Rams

Giants @ Seahawks

Sunday Night 12.20am

Packers @ Bills

Monday Night 12.15am

Bengals @ Browns

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

9-5 so that brings me to 59- 49 after seven weeks.

Kurt Warner was saying he thinks both Brady and Rodgers should retire, says they both look exhausted.

HFA used to matter a lot but since COVID it's been all over the place and it hasn't got back to normal yet.

Both Jones and Zappe will be playing long after Lance is gone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's been diminishing for a while to be honest. From 2010 to 2018 home teams were winning 57% of the time. From 2019 to 2021 that has crashed significantly, home teams winning just 50.9% of the time. Same trend continuing this year.

Some teams have a better home field advantage that others obviously, teams like LA Rams, LA chargers, Jaguars etc frequently have more away fans attending than home fans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We will certainly have to wait and see on that one as Lance still hasn't had a run of games to demonstrate what he is capable of. If he gets injured again next year he may struggle to ever get a foothold in the league but equally he still has a chance to continue the improvements we've seen in his very limited gametime so far.

Ravens or Bucs?? This first one is tough. I think Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Week 8

Thursday Night 1.15am

Ravens @ Buccaneers

Sunday 1.30pm

Broncos @ Jaguars (Wembley)

Sunday 5pm

Patriots @ Jets

Panthers @ Falcons

Bears @ Cowboys

Dolphins @ Lions

Cardinals @ Vikings

Raiders @ Saints

Steelers @ Eagles

Sunday 8.25pm

Titans @ Texans (8.05pm)

Commanders @ Colts

49ers @ Rams

Giants @ Seahawks

Sunday Night 12.20am

Packers @ Bills

Monday Night 12.15am

Bengals @ Browns

• Advertisement

My picks for 8 are Ravens, Jags, Vikings, Falcons, Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins, Jets, Eagles, Titans, Giants, 49ers, Colts, Bills, Bengals. Mwahhhhh.

Advertisement