Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Week 9

Thursday Night 12.15am

Eagles @ Texans

Sunday 6pm

Colts @ Patriots

Chargers @ Falcons

Dolphins @ Bears

Panthers @ Bengals

Packers @ Lions

Bills @ Jets

Vikings @ Commanders

Raiders @ Jaguars

Sunday 9.25pm

Seahawks @ Cardinals (9.05pm)

Rams @ Buccaneers

Sunday Night 1.20am

Titans @ Chiefs

Monday Night 1.15am

Ravens

69 53 entering the week

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Texans put up a decent show last night. The loss of their top two receivers really hurt them. Pierce is going to be one of the top RBs in the league. I think he's got to be favourite at this stage for Offensive rookie of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

74-48 coming in:

Eagles @ Texans

Colts @ Patriots

Chargers @ Falcons

Dolphins @ Bears

Panthers @ Bengals

Packers @ Lions

Bills @ Jets

Vikings @ Commanders

Raiders @ Jaguars

Seahawks @ Cardinals

Rams @ Buccaneers

Titans @ Chiefs

Ravens @ Saints

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears got robbed on that last drive there with a missed PI against Claypool which would have put us in FG range. Great offensive battle though with Fields breaking Vick's 20 year old 171 yard regular season game rushing record. He had 178.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Once again nobody getting all correct. What a bunch of dummies on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That is one enjoyable Sunday.

Hot take: Fields is the best QB from last year's class

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭thefa

Enjoyed seeing the Bucs grind out a proper win. Wouldn’t mind if they kicked on and made it at least one strong team in that division. Hard to have too much faith in the receivers at the moment though with the amount of drops and hardly any running game to deflect attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Patrick Mahomes, what a guy. 509 total yards and some huge plays when the chips were down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you mean he's the best right now then it probably falls in a hot take, as he has had some very low points this season and then hard to rate him just on his performances over the last few games.

If you mean he has a good chance to be the best QB from that class then I dont see it as a hot take at all, his highs have been higher than what other QBs have put together and if they've found a good formula of him using his legs more then his future lows shouldnt be as low as some of the others less mobile guys. The fact he is playing with likely the worst supporting cast also gives additional hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree. Not a chiefs fan at all (I was rooting for the titans, big admirer of king henry) but it's hard not to be amazed at Mahomes's abilities. He plays the game like no one else and reminds me of my favorite QB of all time, Brett Favre. Minus the picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

59-64 coming in. 7-6 on the week brings me to 66-70.

Another shocking only 9/13 for me. Buffalo Bills you suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Lamar Jackson is a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

74-49 coming in.

9-4 on the week.

83-53 overall.

Wait, you are saying that a QB who is averaging 140 passing yards per game and has thrown 10 TDs and 6 ints is the best from the '21 class? Let's add his rushing yardage which is 67 per game bringing him up to 207 yards per game and 3 TDs bringing him up to 13 TDs and 6 ints.

Lawrence has over 230 yards per game with 11tds and 6 ints. He's averaging 17 yards per game rushing with 3 TDs. That puts him on 247 per game with 14 TDs and 6 ints.

Mac Jones is having a very bad season so far but he's averaging 220 yards with 4 TDs and 7 ints. Rushing 11 per game and 1 td which puts him on 231 with 5 and 7.

Zach Wilson is averaging 200 yards with 4 tds and 5 ints. He's averaging 11 yards per game rushing with one td so that puts him on 211 with 5 and 5.

As you can see he's averaging 40 yards per game less than Lawrence and has been responsible for one less touchdown. How on earth can you say he's better than Trevor Lawrence?

He's averaging less yardage than both Mac Jones and Zach Wilson and is ahead on average to both of them as regards TDs and ints per game but not by much, as they have both missed a few games, so unless the only metric you are using to decide whose best of those three is touchdowns then it's a very close call between the three of them and that's based on this season alone. If you include last season then Mac Jones is miles ahead of him.

It's amazing how recency bias, like two of three games makes people say ridiculous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

10 - 3 for the week brings me to 83 - 53 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Your posts are exhausting to read because you base your opinions on every player solely around basic box score statistics. Football is a complex sport and does not work that way.

It's far too soon to be crowning anyone the best/worst QB 1.5 years into their careers but if anyone wants to attempt it then regurgitating box scores isn't the way to go about it.

As you can see he's averaging 40 yards per game less than Lawrence and has been responsible for one less touchdown. How on earth can you say he's better than Trevor Lawrence?

The Jags call pass 55% of the time to the Bears 40%. Obviously if a QB throws the ball 120 times more over 9 games he's going to have more completions and yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

The issue is that the Bears have made pretty obvious play calling changes. So really it is just Fields developing and the coaches developing around him. So if someone is actively making changes then it is rough to hold their first few games against them. I see little reason right now for either Mac or Zach to immediately improve though maybe they will, Fields I can see a big game next week based off of the last few weeks. Obviously a lot are unhappy with the play calling around Mac this season as well but we will have to see how that works out going forward.

Granted I am not prepped to say anything yet. The NFL will adjust and they will have to adjust again, so a few more games with similar production is needed for me to believe this is long term.

Even then I would still take Lawrence but up to the 1a, 1b I had them at pre draft. Certainly Fields has had a worse career overall but quite frankly their career's mean little at this point as it is about how they can develop going into the future which is more important. Quite frankly any improvement from Fields is terrifying with his natural talents.

Well you might note that I didn't call any of them the best. I just pointed out the stats from the current season to show the ridiculousness of these media calls that Fields is the best from that class.

I'm in full agreement with you that it's far too early to call which of them will turn out the best.

I was just pointing out that it's easy to make an argument that he's not.

Like he's got a 58.8 completion percentage and he's averaging seven yards per attempt. It's just insane to be calling him the best of the lot based on three games where he's looked better than he has before when he hasn't even thrown for 200 yards in any of those games.

I'm in agreement with most of your post except that I don't rate Fields at all yet. Until he can stand in the pocket more and throw for 250+ yards a couple of times I'm not going to consider him anything other than a running back standing behind center, that's Taysom Hill 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

'Far too early to call which of them will turn out the best' this week, yet last week you were telling everyone for certain that Jones was going to be 'at worst' the second best QB from the class and that it wasn't too early to say that a QB with 2 career starts is destined 'to always be better' than another with 4 career starts...

You can post all the hyperbolic nonsense you want but don't try to then talk out of the other side of your mouth and pretend it isn't what you're doing when posters push back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My judgement was based solely on the eye test and enjoyment factor (because I couldn't possibly have the QB knowledge of eagle eye), and of all of them, Fields is the most thrilling to watch when he is on it. He hit over 40 points in fantasy this week (as good a vector as anything), a glass ceiling neither of the other two have hit. He is also operating in the worst environment (Jones under a GOAT head-coach, Lawrence in an improving roster with a proven coach).

Fook stats, it's about the entertainment value for me.

More insults and personal attacks without having anything remotely approaching decent conversation.

Lance is never going to be an NFL QB, he's shown nothing except he gets injured a lot. His time is up already, you won't see him start again unless he gets a backup job and the starter gets injured. He's a bust, an unfortunate one due to injury but I'm not sure he had what it takes even if he had stayed fit.

He certainly never showed it on the field. Pretty simple to predict that Zappe will have a more successful career than Lance. The above is a future prediction.

As regards Mac Jones, I truly believe that he'll be a successful QB but that's a future prediction too.

My post yesterday was about judging the players this early, based on what they've done so far, which is an entirely different thing.

Obviously you struggle with comprehension so I hope the simple explanation above makes it easy for you to understand the difference.

I get it, you like running QBs.

You've seen Allen do it, you've seen Mahomes do it and they are the two best QBs in the league right now.

You've seen Lamar do it but he can pass the ball as well, not to the same level as Allen or Mahomes but well enough to allow him run a lot.

The difference between those guys and Fields is they are able to pass the ball. It takes a couple of weeks of tape and his running game will be a lot less successful and he doesn't have the arm to be successful then. If he can improve his passing then he'll be really good but it's hard to see that happening based on what we've seen to this point in his career.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that he's in a worse offense than Jones right now. The Patriots offensive line has been awful this year giving away penalties and failing to pass protect many times. You've got Matt Patricia and Joe Judge running the offense thats two former failed head coaches, one who was a defensive co-ordinator and the other who was a special teams co-ordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

Too much jibber jabber on this thread. No essays please about what Zach the defensive linebacker has for lunch. Where is the next round of games?? My selections are burning a hole in my PP account.

Advertisement