Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meaning of Life

• 05-09-2022 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Now let me just say from the outset that I am not a deeply religious person anymore than I am a political person or have any particular loyalties or allegiances to any party. However on a human level you couldn't be but touched by last night's interview with An Taoiseach Michael Martin on RTE's the Meaning of Life. What a raw and very personal Interview on what is a truly traumatic and heartbreaking subject, that of the loss of a child, which I'm sure was very close to the bone and upsetting for many people and one which I can relate to myself. It really does tug at the heart strings and if losing one child wasn't difficult enough only to lose a second child and have to bare the heartache all over again. It's beyond comprehension how people deal with such grief and tragedy in their lives. It truly takes a very strong will and immense courage. You would almost think something like this would cause people to question their faith but perhaps it's their faith that is the one thing that gives them solace and keeps them strong. that and of course the love and support of family and friends. Its difficult to fathom how you would cope with a tragedy of such magnitude in your life, although one which I can very much relate to on a personal level and have experienced and witnessed first hand through members of my own family and their personal experiences. I have seen the hurt and utter devastation that it causes. I think the Taoiseach showed great poise and remarkable courage and strength in what was without question a very difficult topic of discussion. He was understandably hugely upset as he fought back the tears in recounting and sharing what must undoubtedly have been very difficult memories of very difficult times. While it goes without saying that something like this would of course bring family even closer together, there still remains the fact that nothing will ever bring them back and it it is that deep sense of loss that I would imagine is the most difficult to deal with. The loss of a loved one is always difficult but particularly so when that loved one is a child. I personally found his insight to be very heartwarming and touching in his recollection of times shared with his children. I think he gave a very honest and humanitarian response in relation to the whole Ukranian conflict, which I'm sure was very much influenced by his own personal tragedies and one which he could identify with and relate to particularly with regards to the value of human life. It really does put things into perspective despite whatever else people may have going on in their lives at any time, which was very much the case for someone who was busy with the cut and thrust of politics and all that this demanded of his time.

What was all the more poignant was the fact that this Interview aired on the very night where you only had to turn on the news to hear the devastating and truly sad news of the deaths of those three young children in Dublin in such tragic circumstances. Yet again another family and community left to deal with a huge sense of loss and untold grief. There was also the unfortunate and tragic news of the untimely death of a talented and promising young boy in Co. Kerry sadly taken before his time in what was a tragic accident doing what he loved most.

🙏

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Raging I missed this. When us it repeated?

My firmer Siater in Law and my brother lost twins. That was hard but they got over it. They were still born abd so so tiny. I suppose that helps a little bit it was very sad still do as there has never been twins in the family and that would have been really nice but it was not to be sadly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Memoryman

Yes it is very difficult and truly sad no matter what age or what the circumstances. I can completely relate to this and understand how harrowing it must be for anyone. It requires an inner strength and resilience and tremendous courage to cope with such loss. Thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it is repeated but as OP stated it is available to view on the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Memoryman

Incidentally for anyone affected by this deeply personal and sensitive subject, there are a range of support services available.

The HSE offer Bereavement supports and services in the form of confidential counselling and Barnardos and Rainbows Ireland offer a Children's Bereavement Service.

Further supports are available through family support networks such as The Irish Childhood Bereavement Network (ICBN) and Anam Cara, which provides monthly online and face to face group meetings throughout Ireland. The meetings are open to all bereaved parents with an emphasis on peer support. Featured guest speakers give insightful talks about parental grief. Also available is the Anam Cara Conversations in Grief Podcast series which gives a unique insight and reflection from parents as they share their own personal stories.

Anam Cara provides information, resources and bereavement support after the death of a child of any age and through all circumstances to all bereaved parents.

The Irish Hospice Foundation and the Irish Cancer Society also provide information and support hubs.

Additionally, there are a number of other support and advocacy groups and organisations available through the Pregnancy and Infant Loss Ireland support Links. These offer support and assistance to parents bereaved through pregnancy loss.

Further information in relation to bereavement counselling and support services is also available through citizensinformation.ie or any of its many regional Citizens Information centres which it operates for free advice.

Advertisement