Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What impact will high electricity costs have on mobile and broadband plans?

Options
  • 05-09-2022 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

A musing I had today and from my own experience in our business where electricity unit rates have increased some 500% in 18 months - will the staggering electricity cost increases have much of an impact on the price plans being offered by the MNO's and fixed telcos?

I appreciate that telcos possibly negotiate a keen rate across the country with one supplier but they also have a lot of kit scattered about out there - exchanges, cabinets, masts, servers, switches, microwave wireless links, etc. I'd imagine this adds up to a nice bill for the bigger telcos and the smaller MVNO's or those renting on someone else's infrastructure will have no control over these costs.

Is electricity costs much of a factor in the costing of plans for telcos? Would there be an accepted figure for the percentage that elec consumes of a telcos bottom line? Hate to be a doom merchant but I suspect the 7.99 and 10 euro for life plans might be a thing of the past soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭3d4life

Is Eamon Ryan counting on the whole shebang being shut down for peak evening hours this winter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Anything is possible with that man! A 7pm curfew on mobile networks to reduce emissions 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I know Three have recently introduced a 4.5% price increase every year on new contracts and those upgrading

Vodafone and Eir seem to bee "April each year, the monthly price shown will increase by the Consumer Price Index rate published in January of that year plus an additional 3%" so I guess their customers are going to have a shock next April

I guess who knows what any new customer would pay when signing up if the telcos decide to increase the cost of new plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've been with Vodafone for years and have been happy enough to stay with them, but if I found myself in a CPI+3% situation I'd have no choice but to port every year. I'll be clinging on to my legacy plan for dear life, even if it means no Wi-Fi Calling.

Advertisement