Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK and Irish State Pension

Options
  • 06-09-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

my mother receives the Irish State Pension and a small private pension from my father after his death. My father worked in the UK in the 60s and my mother has just recieved a letter from the UK stating she is eligable for a partial UK State pension of £50 a week and a lump sum of several thousand pounds as my father never claimed his UK pension.

I was wondering if she takes the UK pension will it affect her Irish pension at all or are they completely separate?

Would she have to pay tax on the lump sum in Ireland or England?

Does she need a UK bank account to get the UK pension, how do they pay it?

Thanks in advance for any replies?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Irish State Pension (contributory) is based on SI conts and is non means-tested.

The Irish non-contributory State Pension is means-tested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pensions in payment are taxable. Whether any tax will be actually due depends on individual circumstances.

Advertisement