Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

From last year it seemed like Thursday early entry took a lot of the prime spaces, by Friday lunchtime, people were struggling to find space in the popular campsites, so the earlier you can get there the better chance you have. Decide what you want to go for in advance; its so big you don't want to be wandering aimlessly looking for a free spot. Distances are such that you really don't want to have to go back to the car.

This is the map from last year. You will end up in Red car park, or Yellow if you come from Athy direction. if you go for Hendrik or Warhol, its worth trying to get to Yellow. Green is for early entry and Day tickets.

Some of my recommendations:

Be nice to the people around you, they may look out for your tent/stuff; become your new best mates, or just be slightly less a***holes than they might otherwise be.

Explore. There are so many different areas and if you haven't been before they can be really magical; there's a huge variety of stages and areas. They also change character after the main stages close and more people move into the smaller areas.

Know what you want to see (at least roughly), otherwise its easy to miss acts you might really want to see. Durzog's Clashfinder or the official App help here. Don't spend all your time in the campsite drinking. You are here for the music aren't you? (Having said that, one of my work colleagues a few years back was going, didn't really know who was playing, would spend most of the time in the campsite with her friends and then in Casa Bacardi, and had a wonderful time) In other words, have your best time.

There is no alcohol allowed into the event arena, and they search bags and take it off you. At certain times (such as when Billy Eilish is about to play), there may be a larger queue at security into the arena. One advantage of Salty Dog etc now being inside the arena is that you don't have to go through security between the main stages and the other music areas. Its still a bit of a walk from the Main stage to Terminus/Salty Dog etc. probably about 15 minutes. (of course the downside is you can't bring alcohol to the Salty Dog as you could before last year.) You can bring in up to 4 cans after 1am or so.

That's probably enough to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

i have got in green every year since 2013 despite coming from dublin at 3 or 4 on friday afternoon

just be nice to the traffic cops, say your mates have your tickets and are waiting in green, your back is fcked and you cant do the walk from the other car parks etc etc, last year i was asked what car park i wanted when coming into town! closest call was when i was forced to go left coming into town, i drove 50 yrds down the road and did a U turn and headed back up the road to green,

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There's got to be a factory in China churning those bad boys out under different names, this will be my battle carts 4th outing.

note : that pic was 2018 and I went overboard on the trolley contents, last year it carried two inflatable mattesses, 2x sleeping bags, 8 liters of water, beers and all that two people needed, the brother carried nothin from car to tent. Heading solo this year so the trolley will have far less in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DubLad69

Staying in the under the starts (in the woods) campsite and haven’t heard anything since paying for it? Does anyone know if I’ll get an email telling me how to get to it etc? If glamping then does it matter what time I arrive?

Snarky Snark Snark

Nope, your tent is sorted but you want to avoid the rush just after lunch and early evening and the traffic that comes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

you never had to pay extra to get into the vip area. Your boutique wristband got you entry. Never paid an additional fee on top of it.

Snarky Snark Snark

just looked at the prices and I thought it was mad money for the pitch your own pink moon stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Depends, Pink moon didn't provide it, the rest did, and you could buy it if you wanted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

We did Pink Moon in 2018 and loved it, yes was a bit pricey but nice to be able to just drop your bags in and go, we had a 4 man tent but could have easily fit another 2 people in so worked out well. Did it again in 2022 and have to say it was a real let down quality wise, we booked a 6 man(i think) and it was just 2 little crappy dividers splitting one half of the tent into the rooms and could barely fit two people in each section. Myself and one other person ended up sleeping in the communal part.

Not heading at all this year as we all felt last year was our final trip to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Early entry starts on Thursday, 20,000 arriving. They’ll be funnelling people into the green car park first, eventually spilling into the red. I’ve done early entry a few years now and find the traffic and wristband queues are pretty bad, far worse than I’ve ever experienced on Friday entry. I was pitching the tent almost in the dark last year it was that late.

50,000 of the 70k will arrive on the Friday, you could say in three waves. (Guesstimates btw)

1: Those who booked the day off arriving between 9-12. Majority I’d say, 25,000.

2: Half day, arriving 12-5, 20,000.

3: Those arriving around 5-8, 5000.

If arriving Friday it’s most likely you’ll end up in the red car park. As per below twitter link, Red to Chaplin camp site it’s saying 7 min, excluding time in wristband queue. Couldn’t be more than 1km. Hendrix is double this.

Sack trolley with LARGE PNEUMATIC WHEELS is essential. Anything else will fail.

As a young fella I used to camp in Hendrix and take everything in one go. This was sweltering, buckling and exhausting. Also you need to be nimble with your stuff to get through already pitched tents.

Learned it’s much more efficient to take tent and what you need for day1 initially, then do smaller and often trips at your leisure during the weekend.

(Word of warning, for the first time ever Sunday of last year I was stopped taking cans in from the car to the camp site at the paint ball entrance, security said reentry isn’t allowed with alcohol and this was in the t&c’s, I suspect they wanted some cans for the security party! But I’ll need to think carefully this year)

I’d recommend having double of everything in clothing, I.E. bag for the tent and tits up bag for the car, should something go wrong.

(Found this a while back, although a little out of date things have moved around a tad but it’s reasonably accurate. If travelling with a trolley and beer etc I’d add on 20-30% to these times)

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Solid wheels on the sort of cart I have are grand if it’s dry, but if wet then there’s trouble. Luckily this year I’m in Silver so right beside car park and initial entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If Bicep are playing they’ve almost certainly got a clause in the contract with the Belfast promoter which prevents them from announcing an EP appearance until they’ve played the Northern gig on the 27th. Thus I’d expect any news to be 3/4 days before the Picnic.

FR will be happy enough with this too as they’re a very significant act these days and it’d be received very well by most people heading there. It’s definitely create an extra buzz in the way that’s unlikely to happen with other previously mentioned possible acts on this thread.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Navan Man01

Last page of posts, giddiness is building!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

I've just realised that this is the first EP that I can take the Monday off, oh jesus the horrors ( and FEAR) I've had to go through on many Mondays over the years - sweating out warm cans of guinness and lager , kinara kitchen final day food and everything else that EP could throw at me🤩. I'm sure my work colleagues were delighted with my company those days. In a haze trying to focus the eyes on some work while thinking of all the craic Id just had. Some comedown I can tell you !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

We're also in Silver, should be a handy enough walk from the red car park. Last year it seemed to have its own entrance into the main area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hank the DJ

We have 2 newbies coming and they're giddy as feck, has thrown a new bit of life and excitement into it for me.

I'll be like a tour guide on the Friday, " and here is where we having the meeting of the elders, at 5pm a group of shiny heads gather round a ship to listen to words from their ancestors, and kick teenagers up the hole"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've managed to source a pair of weekend camping tickets and a caravan pass...I think! The only problem is, I've got a campervan. Does anyone know if a campervan can get in on a caravan pass?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

I had a job interview on the Tuesday after Glastonbury this year. Wasn't back home until late afternoon Monday.

I did not get the job.

Snarky Snark Snark

Each year that i've gone picnic, i've booked the friday and monday off, just no point bothering attempting to be in a functional state on the monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Ditto and I don't even camp. Had to go back to work on the Monday after night and day this year for some high level meetings it was awful, and then went to placebo, Tuesday was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Have to delete the Bandsintown app just got a notification of concerts you may like and Gavin James was included

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sunday tends to be my "top shelf" day in order to have the energy after 2 days of hard slog... so the mondays are a complete write off for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I heard word back from a mate who was in one of the De Danann groups, apparently there is going to be about 10 or 12 ex-members of De Danann taking part in the 'Remembering De Danann' gig. Hopefully, Johnny 'Ringo' McDonagh ( my bodhran hero), Brian McGrath, Martin O'Connor, Aiden Coffey possibly Jackie Daly, wouldn't be surprised if Mick Coneely or George Grasso are roped in to play Greek bouzouki, both fans of the late Alec Finn style, Charlie Piggott. Of the singers hopefully Dolores Keane, Eleanor McVoy, Maura O'Connell or even Mary Black. Maybe we might even see Frankie Gavin or that other bodhran genuis Colm Murphy. But hopefully not Tommy Fleming on vocals. A nice chunk of Galway traditional music.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

To be honest, every year I might as well take the week before picnic off as I’m normally doing absolutely fcuk all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on the early entry Thursday, is there much happening Thursday night, I was just going to go pitch the tent and head off again, bring in the supplies then Friday with the gang. Is that a good plan?

Arrived early enough I thought the last Friday but decent pitches were long gone had to walk for ages to find a spot.

🤣 I can only imagine !!

interviewers after interview ..... "what WAS that smell....??!!🤣🤣

oh Christ that had to be a rough couple of days, bravo on making it to Placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

We did it last year and found there were a lot of people just there to setup and heading off. Not much was open and we ended up heading into Stradbally for drinks and food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That’s brilliant news. Out of the blue too, nothing rumoured on this locally in the past few years. No local rumour. A proper trad supergroup. Would love if Dolores turned up, she’s doing a gig at the Fleadh in Mullingar so there’s a chance. I don’t think she’s played for 25 years.

Advertisement