Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Probably, but I'd say it would have still sold out easily if it were in the same weekend, maybe not the same day they go on sale like we have been used to for years but they would sell. I like the idea of a new date tbh, weather would be a bit more forgiving, especially that cold at night wouldn't be as bad in the middle of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crl84

Yep, there's two non-EP Coldplay nights for people to go to if they're really bothered with going to EP. Coldplay is already sold out and EP sells out easily, and that wouldn't have changed next year either. There's enough people there to gladly buy EP tickets for the small amount that would have got Friday/Sunday Coldplay tickets.

The more likely issue with Coldplay would be logistical issues of having big events on the same weekend, rather than ticket sales, probably also why it's 2 weeks early now, instead of one, as Reading/Leeds running the same weekend as EP would be too much of a headache for FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Not a mistake it’s moved two weeks earlier as not to clash with Coldplay and to align itself better with august festivals in europe such as lowlands, pukkelpop etc to share artists as a lot of acts leave europe after that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Logistical issues around security staff, crew and Garda numbers say? Think they'd have managed. Could be more about getting acts from other festivals or increasing number of people who can go. I'd be curious why now, what specifically promoted it and if it will be permanent. Thought they usually wait until this year's festival is over before shifting tickets for the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pathetic that we can't run a few big gigs and a festival 100km away in the same country.

Defo makes sense from a lineup point of view though.

But this is also a cynical power play from EP to take on ATN. The two biggest festivals in the country and now theyre 2 weeks apart. FFS.

• Advertisement

And again taste goes out the window to a degree when you increase a festival capacity to 75k. You gotta please the masses with the headline acts and their isn’t a lot of acts that shift 20,000-40,000 tickets in ireland and even less that are “cool” or “interesting”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The new dates for next year would suit me a lot better and could mean a return to EP personally - but I'm firmly in the ATN camp now. Will keep an eager eye on next year's lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

I can't believe Coldplay sold so many tickets, I would've thought their last few albums and the increased easy access to music would've dented their popularity somewhat but I guess not. Fair play to them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

A conundrum for you all. We're thinking of heading down with the trailer tent on the Thursday to get a decent spot and set up for the weekend (have a campervan/caravan pass). We'll have to come home after setting up though, kids in school etc, then head back down on the Friday. My question is, since I'll be towing the trailer tent in, can we set up, go home in the car Thursday evening, then come back to the same spot in the car the next day? Will they let us back to the trailer tent in the car?

Maybe the move is because the organisers and security are all massive Coldplay fans, it would explain a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Its not a surprise at all really, they have mass appeal globally - live, and the tours been growing incrementally bigger and longer, for several years.

The current tour, which has grown more popular as it toured, is already, inside the top 5 grossing tours of all time, and will be at least 2nd, by the time they wrap up, the 3rd year of this tour next year.

They could easily have done 6 gigs at Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Probably yeah but don't approach the campervan entrance from where all the rest of the traffic is coming (J16 a few years ago towards stradbally) - we got caught out in the same situation waved into some carpark by a garda who wouldn't listen when we tried to tell him we were in caravans (parked there the previous night and went home). Ended up in a car park miles away

Interesting, the wristband thing is genuinely innovative for live shows. It feels like they could potentially be remembered more for that than their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gdd1986

Is this the right place to ask? Does anyone know if they'll let you in the general campervan site with a family campervan pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

You can definitely use a family camping ticket to access the general campsite. Likely same applies with campervans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

On one hand the timing of the early birds may be scheduled to make it difficult for people.

On the other it’s still there and there are decent savings. FR could just have withdrawn it and there’s sod all we could do about it. For a weekend festival it’s a bargain.

Yeah think it's definitely an attempt to muscle in on ATN but EP sells out no problem either way with many going to both. Think if anything it will lead to less people doing both and just going to one. That won't hurt EP though. One of the things that made EP stand out was beyond the size of it compared to other festivals was when it was on. I think competition is healthy but would have be nice to have more of a gap. Probably showing my age but you'd be barely recovered from ATN by time EP is on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Another area I never visit

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/mother-2023/

probably more to do with logistics and staffing resources. A week of croke park shows and EP is a strain on security, infrastructure

Only set up last year but a long history of Mother DJs in the Body & Soul area. Used to be a great end to a Sunday night.

• Advertisement

On a different scale but Glastonbury had to take a break in 2012 when the London Olympics was on. Difficulties getting enough portaloos, security, etc.

We’ve similarly got a finite amount of resources here and much will be diverted to Dublin on the traditional EP weekend.

The new dates also seem to be pretty popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

So. Does this mean that a lot of the big acts for next year are locked in already?

Yeah, the 6 headliners will be locked in or at least 3 or 4 of them.

some mid tier acts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Dynamo Metal Fest is on the same weekend as EP for next year doh!!!!!🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Had they changed the dates this year it would've clashed with my trip to Field Day.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Jeez, without warning! Thanks to this thread! Hadn’t seen the ticketbastard mail either!

Just got two 3 years loyalty. €435 all in €218 each! Bitching aside, it’s 3 days and nights of acts for what others paid for 4 hours at Taylor or Coldplay.

Scruff 2024 thread started yet!!🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

With all the spare cash for next year NIN are defo for headliners!!!!😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Justice are touring apparently in 2024.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Thought of it but no point until we've this year out of the way and can capture any changes for the FAQ.

Advertisement