Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well like I say its a quick skim and listening to a few tracks each on headphones, of course if it was bands we love, they'd be gushing reviews, just trying to make sense of the choices.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Oh i know, i'm not having a go or anything. It just says a lot about the lineup that that's how the descriptions read.

Nia Archives is the one catching my attention. Jungle/D&B with a kinda Soul twist. Her dj sets sound good but i think she's playing live at EP.

In other news, i just bought a new tent! My last one gave up the ghost at last years Picnic after 10 years loyal service, so it owed me nothing. Tbh, it owed me nothing anyway as i picked it up at EP on a Monday morning scavenge.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Shnap!!! My tent of tens years service died at ATN last year, a majority of the outer zips stopped working, so now I have new tent, sleeping bag, good quality walking boots, decent rain mac and waterproof trousers and all set again. :)

Thank you @Dreamweapon this chick is booming, lots of nice Jungle DnB bassy groove moments, where would she fit though. Probably too left of the field to the straight forward techno of Terminus, possibly Rankin Woods or Cosby (is that marquee still there). Will definitely check her out clashes permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

Haven't been about on here for a good while due to a lot going on family wise but just popping in to say LOL again and that I'll see you there at the front at Nia Archives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Really? Consider the price they sell tickets here, I'm surprised.... but maybe its only me who will throw any money at him to see him. I was surprised not to see him on the EP line up - so no Irish gig planned at all? Shame, he's perfect for any festival. I have my tickets to see him in Milan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

London roundhouse show is €50 plus and 3,000 capacity. Maths don’t make sense for standalone show here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fanirish any insight on why Gizzard didnt get booked? No Irish show on current tour and playing EOTR same weekend as EP.

bands don’t necessarily play ireland on every European tour.

can be half a dozen reasons:

*agent doesn’t want to them oversaturate a small country.

* offer not suitable money wise

* logistically difficult (brexit etc)

* tour routing doesn’t allow it

* agreed set number of shows with band

* other commitments of band members

* exclusivity with another promoter

* headline show locked in for later in the year or early next year

* previous bad experience at festival

* band need rest days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fair reply, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

@Fanirish what’s your best estimate of the combined cost of the 5 main acts so far?

70,000 * €260 (Ave.) = €18.2M ticket revenue!

+ 20,000 * €39 = €780,000 early birds.

+ 5000? * €85 = €425,000 Camper-van

Let’s be honest those who remember the early years know the line up/headliners wasn’t always filled with huge international acts, but there was always depth and potential, I’ve seen so many lesser known acts that went on to be very successful. During down time you could always wander and find something of reasonable quality, last year I found I had lots more free time Vs previous years, maybe it’s me, my age or genre shifting slightly, but felt the quality of acts were poor.

Overall the booking leaves a lot to be desired, we know there are challenges with many choosing standalone gigs in Ireland, but my criticism is aimed at the lower tier “day light” acts. While I don’t have an issue with The Wolfe Tones and Saw Doctors, their EP booking just smacks of someone not understanding the demographic and vibe.

If I didn’t already buy early birds, I wouldn’t be heading out to buy!

Post edited by Fatfrog on

Most of them are doing multiple festivals for festival republic in august so it’s a package offer, alters the price a bit. Rough guess is the 6 headline acts cost somewhere in €400-700k range. Documented in court case that the killers got €500k previously for EP. Probably close to €3m on headliners.

Probably another €500,00 to 1m on the next tier of 8 acts. Anywhere between €75-125k for those acts like Jamie xx, idles, Steve lacy

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

That's interesting, I presume it comes down to opportunity cost for them to some degree, i.e. Lewes Capaldi could probably do a standalone gig instead and make the same money here/elsewhere. Surely the likes of Niall Horan who doesn't seem to have a huge solo following outside Ireland really and Fred Again (tier 3 last year, I know he partially closed out Coachella and played a few big gigs recently but is only tier 2 at Primavera, Lollapaloza this year and played the Olympia a few months ago) are much lower than 400k? My initial feeling with the lineup was they were looking to save some cash on headliners this year, I remember last year Melvin Benn complaining about rising costs for staging, electricity, etc.

Niall horan sold out two nights in the 3 arena, no act who can sell out arenas would be getting less than €400k range for co headlining a 75k cap festival.

Fred again has now jumped to festival headliner level across europe and coachella. Yesterdays price for him is not the price you pay to him to headline EP.

now a good few of the acts are doing multiple festival republic shows like reading and Leeds and the package deal might lower the fee a bit but nothing too dramatic

For something like EP, ticket revenue is probably 80-90% of revenue. Sponsorships and bar % is another lucrative area for a few million.

if €20m revenues comes in, maybe between 25-35% is spent on talent. Another 40-55% on overheads/staff costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

2x Early birds just gone back to them for resale if anyone was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

They the ones up for 225 each? Decent value in fairness, should have no issue selling those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Reckon I'm going to sell mine too. No option just yet on Ticketmaster for the installment family tickets, or maybe just me.

I'm sure all three pay periods have finished. Pretty sure last one came out recently.

My mate came up with a theory about the blurred name, how about BJoRK. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

not a chance, she's headliner material and is in Spain / Portugal on the 1st and 4th, not going to shift her setup back this way between those two dates.

Was headliner back in 35,000 capacity period, the festival has doubled in capacity which would make her a sub headliner, plus she apparently has a much more scaled down show these days.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,618 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if they cannot afford m83, they certainly cannot afford BJoRK :D

im still confused as to why they even bothered to include a blurred image? did they feel the line up was so poor that they wanted people talking about something else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive seen a few festivals use that or "Special Guest" at top of the billing. It's ridiculous approach for main stage artists.

Electric picnic can afford m83

bunch of festivals do the blurred/? Headliner thing on posters mad cool did it this year. It’s to acknowledge that headliners are to be announced but they can’t right now due to “reasons”

Special guest thing is agent demanding a special acknowledgment that their act is “super special” like Niall horan at EP.

when they can’t or won’t get top billing they want something to please their act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭LowOdour

And that's fine if the artist is actually announced...but this crap about it been some kind of mystery we try to solve is a joke.

I understand when the Other Voices stage done it, or how Glasto does it on one of their stages but near top of main stage list is stupid

It’s to acknowledge that headliner is still be announced but they can’t right now. Not much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Given the size of the festival now, I'd think there's very few that are out of range price wise for EP but availability and the chronic time of the year it's on prevent alternate choices.

Advertisement