Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure if installment tickets can go on resale, I got caught with indie tickets last year from an installment plan that I couldn't put on resale. I'm not sure if EP will be the same but that was the policy for indie anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Birra social media shyte mate, cmon. The grind is constant for these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Not really. Other festivals do not as common enough practice, not necessarily for clicks. Sure it’s sold out. Why would EP care

Beyond the Pale released more acts today, another fantastic looking smaller festival for people to discover. The quality festivals are out there alright, once one gets through all the mainstream crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

😒 Boards reaction to EP announcement in a nutshell.

From what I gather it varies depending on the event though, so hope may not be lost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

We’ll see when released, but I suspect the actual blurred out text won’t closely match the length and number of characters in the artist’s name. It’s not RATM anyway 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

They were gone in seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Beyond the Pale announced their arts / fringe / late-night shenanigans line-up today.

It's way better than the new acts added to EP last week. I'm already getting quite p1ssed off with the BTP organisers for having so much interesting stuff that the clashes will be savage bad altogether.

Given the "culture clash" freak-out over Wolfe Tones on the EP bill, should Festival Republic go full gun on the iconoclastic approach to the 2023 line-up and add a few Masses to the schedule to see if they can save the day through divine intervention?

• Advertisement

I'll be at both BTP and the Picnic - will be interesting to see which I enjoy more.

First time at BTP which is a plus for it however my expectations for it are skyrocketing - not easy to live up to in practice...

... while surely this must be my last EP after making it to 15 in a row???

Or will I have an "Against all odds" fab weekend in the Stradbally woods and be back for more line-up disappointment next year...

An interesting Summer ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Going to night and day. Small 2 day festival, up to 5k this year I think. Really enjoyable last year. Very irish based which is grand but throw in a few international headliners, mercury rev and Anna Calvi this year. Looking forward to it more than EP at the moment but have always enjoyed EP so suspect it will still be good but maybe not as much as previous years. Jerry Fish saved it for me last year so may have to rely on him again, though a few looking forward to already. A weekend sipping beer and listening to music will always be enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Going to body and soul this year, first time in a good few years. But the line up for beyond the pale is brilliant, if we hadn’t got our tickets we’d be going to that instead.

"A weekend sipping beer and listening to music will always be enjoyable" - Amen to that, @Mucker46

Missing Mercury Rev play in my home county of Roscommon can't be a good thing but the stars just aren't go to align on that one.

Fingers crossed it goes great for you and the organisers, and I get to go another year.

Seriously considering Beyond the Pale... I'm still not past the haha-wtf-chuckling phase every time I look at the EP poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I was just looking through the B&S line up and undercard! It’s exactly what the EP is missing in my view!!

Agreed @Fatfrog - BnS and BTP being on the same weekend is a pity - hopefully both run well and sell out. The bookers deserve it!

BnS has a special place in my festival memories as we brought our kids there every year from 2012 to Covid. We're hoping for one last run at it as a family next year when my oldest lad will be 13 and young looking enough to pass for 12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

The annoucement was disappointing for most of us but as said hopefully we will start to see smaller acts appearing between now and then. I think I saw a post that Cable Street Collective were coming back. Stumbled on them last year as heard the brass through the woods and went to check it out. Really good fun and loads of energy so if they are back and you a are looking for a fun party vibe check them out, BTW they are way better live than youtube suggests.

With the annoucement I'm glad I booked a trip down memory lane to Forest Fest. It will be insteresting to see what a much smaller event is like and I think next year I'll add anoother one or two smaller ones. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if I'm back at EP even though before last years I said it was my last. The thing is that is a great family gig even with my 20 odd year olds in tow. Mrs Traco likes all the more mainstream stuff along with her sister. Me and my brother in law are usally off on the smaller stages looking for new diefferent stuff and we have always found something.

So I'm sure that when the dust settles it will still be a fun weekend of hanging out, enjoying some beverages and despite the best efforts of FR to annoy us finding some new stuff to entertain us.

Amazed if the social media team arent central to the announcement strategy. Keeping certain performers as "secret" to generate buzz is as old as the hills.

It's a tried and tested method though, negatively or positively, it certainly get people talking.

• Advertisement

Yep. Even Glasters has ran with the hackneyed "SPECIAL GUEST" craic for years. Nonsense, but you can see why they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I've four festivals this year I regularly work, would love to do BTP but I think I'll stick with Body&Soul. My first is Wild Roots, more so because of my family connection with the North West of Ireland, but there's some nice acts cropping up at this one.

Then onto B&S for near the end of June. A months break then where I'll probably sample some other festivals and fleadhs, hopefully I might make it down to the Willie Clancy fest this year in Miltown Malbay might even do the South Sligo summer school and Drunmshambo in Leitrim.

ATN will be the next music camping festival for me, there's already some crackers in punk, electronica and trad in that and perhaps some more when the announcement happens.

And of course EP, although its probably more like a family thing again with my fellow volunteer comrades, new found mates through Boards, old Galway buddies who still make the yearly trek and new people who I will meet in my adventures for this years fest. Will perhaps try and get work for Forest Fest and a bunch of others too through the year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hey just curious. And of course don't feel pressured to answer. With all your experience over the years are you at the point of where you're getting paid for your service or is it mainly in exchange for ticket/camping.

Have you ever considered or is it possible to work on a festival year round. i.e one of the larger fests

If you were on the inside you could maybe get aphex twin one of these days :)

Thanks for your insight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just the wristband Ricosruffneck, never got paid a wage. One or two small festivals in 2021 I got paid alright.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That’s the festival that appeals most to me. Not great depth to it but I’d follow Mercury Rev anywhere and the location is probably great. Alas the Chills are in Galway that weekend and Blur on Malahide so decisions to be made. I may see you there Mucker.

Agree re depth but some good bands like pillow Queen's, god is an astronaut, gruff, Anna calvi etc. And great atmosphere there last year. Sure there is a blur on EP poster is that not enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Got some good names off this thread last year that led to a great weekend of music...100 gecs, Fred Again and Kneecap I had not heard of and each of those were class in their own special way!

Looking forward to doing the same this year. There's always gems in there, you just have to find them.

That being said, it feels like I have to do more research than normal this year based on the current lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Navan Man01

Howdy guys! Whilst I agree with most on the lineup being shite, there’s still a good few there I’ll happily tip along to, with more yet to be added! Let’s live in hope for a while longer!

Personally, I have always felt the EP magic lies somewhere between the music & the campsite! Over the years I’ve made some good mates at PM that we only see in the skin once a year, from Cork & Mayo, so much so that we get pitched beside each other for the last few years along with other pals from Navan that I’ve been going with through the years! Although we’re all getting a bit older, when it comes to stradbally we’ve all got that twinkle in our eyes that wkend! If the local busker was on loop I know I’d still have great fun!

I’m going to Forest Fest in July too for a change of scenery, also think the lineup looks great! Roll on summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Navan Man01

The new album from The National is amazing too!! Back to their Sad Dad best!! ❤️

• Advertisement

Fully agree listened to it earlier and really enjoyed it. Ticket for their gig incoming me thinks

Advertisement