Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

That makes no sense.

I'll draw your attention to the conditional use of "if" and "would". I'm suggesting a hypothetical festival that does not change it's curation to reflect changing taste in music. I'm not discussing what has actually happened with EP.

The capacity grew consistently from 2013 to 2023, to a point is now double. They are most certainly not targeting the same audience year on year, thus that 'diminishing returns' statement is null and void.

Which doesn't contradict what I said and I would agree that they are not targeting the same audience year on year. Each year they change the curation to appeal to an age group from say late college to early thirties. They'll lose some of the older age range but would expect to add more of the younger range.

I'll rephrase. If instead they kept the curation static to maintain their appeal to people who were teenagers in the late eighties/early nineties the numbers attending each year will eventually start to reduce. Life gets in the way, people want to travel and see other festivals and can only justify one a year, or eventually acts start repeating and people get bored.

Even as the capacity grew, that diminishing returns wasn't reflected in profit levels when the curation was considered much the same ie lets say 2010 to 2017 (the last year i personally consider the line up was designed to be catering for most tastes)

When capacity is growing a festival is clearly growing and not suffering from diminishing returns/decline. Seven years is not a long enough period for these effects to be seen. Initially there will be a group of people, in the static target demographic (of our hypothetical festival), who haven't been before keeping the replacement rate stable or rising.

But the curation of EP has not been static. They have targeted an average age and booked suitable acts. Year to year this change might not be noticeable, but it will be when they take a three year break for some reason and the way people consume music changes. Some people might find they are the proverbial cooked frog.

Personally i think this years is just a tad stronger than last years, but in the main much poorer than previous years.

I agree with you on this point and this was really where I had intended restarting my posting on this thread. Probably a thought to be continued later.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'll rephrase. If instead they kept the curation static to maintain their appeal to people who were teenagers in the late eighties/early nineties the numbers attending each year will eventually start to reduce

no one is suggesting this.

in a twist of semantics, talking about EP 'keeping its standard of curation' is actually endorsing a more wide selection of acts an genres.

'changing its standard of curation' is resulting in the opposite...... many similar acts targeted at a particular demographic leading to a more bland festival overall. There IS a problem currently about acts repeating, when they are seemingly selecting for this particular demo.... see billie eilish, tame impala and dermot kennedy as 3 acts who were high billed with only 1 or 2 festivals between their appearances.

But the curation of EP has not been static. They have targeted an average age and booked suitable acts. Year to year this change might not be noticeable, but it will be when they take a three year break for some reason and the way people consume music changes

we're probably arguing the same point, by coming from different directions.

My argument is the curation IS becoming static and bland by focusing more on that 18-25 demo, the average audience age. We're both acknowledging what they are doing, but we have different names for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Semantics, lads. Everybody is arguing versions of the same points. We all see what they're doing, nobody here likes it, time will tell if it hurts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Ooh yes please!! An Irish Download would be very tasty for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah and capacity has increased by 20,000 since 2015.

this allows them to book more artists of calibre/fee level of Billie eillish, the killers, Lewis capaldi, Niall horan but they also have a hefty additional audience to attract and thus seek out chart toppers as a sure thing to pleasure the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

My guess is that the youth see it as a rite of passage so the numbers will be there to replace the older crowd who drop out year after year.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So, after all the frustration with the lineup (and the probability that there’s little of significance to come) who’s still going?

I’m pretty sure that @rubick and @desk tidy are, possibly @Mucker46 and @Kepler. Any more? I’m a probable, as are a couple of pals. Early bird ticket, a few decent people going and I’m a big fan of Idles, Johnny Marr and Young Fathers. There are another 7/8 goodies there for me and I think there’ll be several decent young acts added as well as the usual the Salty Dog and Jerry Fish come up with.

I think the Freetown area is wasted (a more creative promoter would do much more there) but the other areas outside the main arena have all improved and there’s much to enjoy. So I’ll likely see you there, though possibly to bid farewell to the Picnic. I’m unlikely to bother with early birds for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Yes, I'm going. Still looking forward to it. BTP would be the one that interests me the most outside of FP, but the timing probably won't work out. I'll have a great time, but there were some times last year on the Saturday when I felt stuck for someone I was interested in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I’ve paid my money, have my pink moon pitch booked and paid for, am very much going but if forest fest turns out well then it’s likely to be a final visit. Seriously thinking of Green man next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I'll be there. I enjoy a lot of the pop acts so there's plenty on the current lineup that I want to see. I'm sure there be a lot of variety added in later announcements.

I think the direction they've gone with the festival suits me but then I have the time at the moment to go to multiple festivals. I'd hope they use the consistency of no site changes or capacity increase to put some time into working out what they want to do with the neglected areas (Body & Soul/Freetown/Other Voices).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I will be there. While not as strongvas previously it gives me a lot more than most other festivals (unfortunately Forest Fest doesn't work for me time wise). While there were a few times of nothing overly interested in seeing still saw something that was better than not being there. Johnny, Idles, Lightning Seeds, Billie, Amyl, killers, Tom odell (guilty pleasure), Ethel Cain, fight like apes and more already on my list so decent enough start

Snarky Snark Snark

I applaud you saying that it suits you, as an old fart i do realise it's not aimed at me but good to see it's actually landing with someone in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I'll go but it's theoretically my last one. I go to festivals to see live music, this years EP is frankly an embarrassment on that front. Its thuggery from the organisers to drag the finest festival in Ireland ever through the muck. I groaned when I saw the Wolfe Tones on the bill. Just sh1t.

Did EOTR in 21 and 22 and whilst that event can be a little staid and low energy at times, for a music geek it just can't be beaten.

May take a look at Green Man also for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, I'm a pretty definite no at this stage. I'm a bit unmoored without EP sitting there waiting at the end of the Summer, I'm casting around now like a drunken sailor on shore leave, looking at something to fill the gap, SFASH, Galway Arts Festival, Forest Fest, abroad.....Body and Soul, ATN and Beyond the Pale are all out now due to other commitments. Green Man and EOTR look the most tempting in the UK and Green Man is sold out. @Wooderson how did you travel to EOTR? Did you fly to Southampton? Outside of Glastonbury, it's hard to imagine capturing the specific beauty that EP had in the good days but I'd settle for a decent lineup.

I'll be in attendance. Whether it will be my last i do not know. I've been at every single one, so it's hard to walk away. In saying that, EOTR is more my cuppa from a musical perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Flew into Southampton in 21 and Brizzle last year. Had a great experience both times and would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If it is the case that the demographic has changed to the 18 - 30 group, is it not just a matter of us oldies ganging up, rounding up the teens and ejecting them off site and therefore changing the demographic again so that next year they have to re-think the lineup for the oldies again. 😛😛😛😛

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I’ll be there however if the wider gang I generally head along with can be convinced into the August bank holiday weekend and ATN for 2024, I may skip next year.

That said, my opinion many change after the festival summer.

I’ll be at BTP, ATN (this year’s family festival) and Stradbally.

I’m planning to have a great EP in case it’s the last for a while for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This was attempted in '06 (also in Scotland) as day events, I'd gather it's obvious why it didn't return.

I'd hope for Sunstroke to reemerge which I'd a ticket for but during the pandemic the promoters would have a sharp idea if it was viable. This year was probably still up in the air for bookings on that front and whatnot but if nothing next year I'd say forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Need a lineup with names the likes of smashing pumpkins, Muse, my chemical romance, queens of the stone age, nine inch nails, darkness, foo fighters, ash, slipknot (perhaps too heavy) system of a down (if not on hiatus), the hu, the mars volta, jack white.

Was originally scheduled for June if I'm right. It's a good time to catch these bands when they're doing their summer euro tours

Something like riot fest in the USA

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Did the necessary tent test today, first time taking it out of the bag since i bought it, popped the spare pegs i'd bought into the bag with the ones it came with. Quoted bits of Swiss Tony as I busied myself with it. Unpacked, fully up, mattress inflated and size tested, deflated and all packed away in 45 mins, happy out.

Realistically line up of that nature is too expensive for ireland, audience would be here to justified those fees.

most of those acts would do own headline 3 arena or bigger shows.

Snarky Snark Snark

Have there been any solid rumours as to the blurred out name on the poster?

Oh not talking about the entire list of bands mentioned.

Like a 2 day fest with a big headliner, QOTSA or My chemical romance or Jack White for example. With smaller names made of a mix of European, Irish and UK acts. (Or from wherever, I'm not picky)

I don't understand how it's not possible for the rock crowd when you've got a hip hop festival (longitude) doing similar for their crowd. Likes of Travis Scott, Kendrick and Tyler don't come cheap either I imagine.

I assumed it's someone with an upcoming Irish gig that is still looking to sell tickets for.

Not Blur level. That would be nice but doubt it.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - European tour ends on the night before EP.

Pulp - June gig in Dublin, booked by FR for Latitude.

Foals - booked by FR for Reading and Leeds the weekend before EP.

Suede - July gig at Forest Fest and I don’t believe announced as an exclusive.

Wet Leg - booked by FR for Reading and Leeds.

All fit in with a support slot for The Killers. Fair chance of one of those and I’d still be hopeful of Bicep being announced given their dates.

Loop showed the kids how it's done in Whelans tonight. Droning minimal repetition, howls of feedback and wah abuse😁 Collision still sounding magnificently vicious😎 Added bonus of having The Heads rhythm section holding it all down while the guitars let rip. Robert seemed confident that it wouldn't be another 33 years before they returned to these shores!

Next up are Thumpasaurus (Sun.), The Osees (Mon.) and Deli Girls (Wed.). They just keep on coming...

None of those are second Sunday headliner level. Simply not in same league of popularity as the other 5

Snarky Snark Snark

Really?

Would have thought Pulp at least would be headliner level, Foals / Suede sub headliner level. I know they're legacy acts at this stage but still very high profile bands.

Wet Leg I like a lot (an awful lot) but they've just the one album so far but seem to be mid tier on all the other fests that they're down for, will be very disappointed if we don't get them given FR have them for Leeds/Reading the weekend before.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Advertisement

Foals - co-headlining Reading/Leeds.

Wet Leg - third on the bill there and major slots at European festivals.

Pulp - headlining Latitude, TRNSMT and elsewhere.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - subheadlining to the Strokes at All Points East and elsewhere.

Suede - third on the bill at their only major festival, Flow.

We’re talking about a support slot here. Perhaps you could admonish all those naive promoters for giving them such significant slots.

Advertisement