Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiwifarms deplatformed

Options
  • 06-09-2022 8:45pm

Suprised no discussion on this

So is it Trans rights/political correctness gone mad.... or a much overdue explusion of imo one of the worst troll platform online

Apologies (or celebrations?) In advance,if anyone here being harassed by this horrible brain poison site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Much overdue expulsion...which will just pop up somewhere else I am afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their DDOS protection was pulled, more specifically. It has just moved to another provider, albeit I think a dodgy Russian one.

This is a supplementary service provided by a private company so there's no free speech protection etc.

I think,(going by link),the owner has called time upon it on telegram

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭Shoog

There is no freedom of speech on a private platform - its freedom to say whatever the provider finds acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Never heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not mere trolling. This is extremist hatassment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Double post. Drleted.

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

CNN segment where the woman harassed by Kiwi farms explains how she was cyber stalked and harassed on a constant basis as a result of the site... She literally moved to Belfast from Canada and they tracked her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kiwi farms was far right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Generally. they went after anyone they considered woke. But they also targeted other people. Sometimes just for trolling. There's three suicides linked to their bullying. They would organise and coordinate bullying campaigns that last for years.

Apparently they also targeted Marjorie Taylor Greene. She was swatted twice because of them.

From Wikipedia

"The website originated to harass an autistic and transgender webcomic artist, but now hosts threads dedicated to harassing many individuals—particularly minorities, women, LGBT people, neurodivergent people, and people considered by Kiwi Farms users to be mentally ill or sexually deviant.[2][3] According to Le Monde, other targets have included feminists, journalists, Internet celebrities, video game or comics hobbyists, and far-right personalities.[7]"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The new DDOS protection pulled out after they couldn't handle the level of malicious traffic. Not sure if it's a new crowd in now but it's standing up to the ddos attacks. The site's up through the top domain but only IPv6 for now, the Tor version up too.

The far right target anything woke. They hate trams ppl, gay ppl, women, minorities etc...

That's why I said they are "generally" far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The site was set up over a decade ago, I think, to gather as much information as possible on an autistic creator of a Sonic the Hedgehog fancomic, so they could cyberbully and gaslight them.

It's basically an abuse experiment on society's most vulnerable people. Like that's all the site is, people looking to personally identify people by their online profiles and make their lives hard for them if they meet certain criteria (autistic, trans, furry etc).

I don't even think 'far right' enters into it tbh, they might be most of them far right but it's not even the reason the site is so bad and the people on it so morally malnourished to think this is a good way to spend their time. This has been a life investment for its admin, a site about bullying people, so good riddance if it really does fade away into some corner of the darknet or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Agree..its too soft to describe these lads as far right. They're the ones who were the f****ers in school who bullied anyone who was vaguely different and are still doing it now in their homes, workplaces etc. That it originated to troll a neurodivergent guy is indicative of this. Tattlelife is all the exceptionally mean girls gathered in the school yard. Nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

The article in the OP calls it far-right. It's literally the first word in the headline. I don't exactly know why you're getting on Graysons case.

Because I remember falling for the Gamergate is a far right hate campaign guff about a decade ago, and that turned out to be hyperbolic horseshit

And because Kiwifarms,from what I saw of it, mocked the likes of Jordan Peterson and Ben Garrison for being drama whores, not exactly woke figures.

You know exactly what I said. And what I said is correct. And honestly I don't have time for disingenuous arguments. I don't know if you support the far right, kiwifarms or people who target minorities/women/gay people/trans people. Or maybe you just enjoy trying to pick pointless holes in arguments for the sake of it.

BTW, I never said anti woke = far right. Go back up and show where I said that. You're just putting words in my mouth. I said that far right = anti woke. It's not a bi directional statement. I also said they were generally far right. And as for the "far" bit, when you bully people to suicide, then you're pretty extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

kiwifarms is a hole, however if they did nothing illegal its not a good precedent to set that a web host or similar provider will deplatform sites based on public outrage.

Theres a reason we have laws and courts - more trial by public opinion is not what we need in the world.

Invariably, the "anti woke" do tend to be far right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

They used to abuse and Troll "far right" YouTubers too on that site

Against? I didnt know Kiwi Farms was taken down for merely being against something.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sounds like a personal issue of fool me once etc.

Don’t act like everyone on “the right ™️“ likes each other.

weird thing to argue anyway. They lost cloudflare protection because cloudflare doesn’t want to be involved in coordinated suicide bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

i think some people spend way to much time on dinternet for their own good

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dyr and friends can rest easy it’s found a new home already alongside 8kun and Daily Stormer. Great birds of a feather.

Let's consider major political movements and individuals that are viewed as antiwoke. Trump, the majority of the GOP, Orban and Putin. Granted at one point or another, posters have claimed the above to not be far right. The reality is they are far right and constantly push an "anti woke" agenda which largely targets minorities. But sure, you've got memes on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT the hitler nonsense in this thread, the admin of kiwifarm's also owns a hosting company which hosts a website for a neo nazi group in New Zealand

So there's maybe just a little bit of merit in calling him 'far right'.

• Advertisement

Advertisement