Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is your surname common or rare

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very common in England , Not overly common here but not unheard off ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I share my surname with a top Provo , and am from the local border which is probably why I was under constant surveillance in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I know the feeling. My surname is in the top 10 Irish surnames, and my first name has been in the top 10 or 20 boys names in Ireland for decades. But I don't personally know anyone with the same name combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Heh..yep, same surname!

Awful abuse when I'm in the UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Really? Do people start making shite jokes and singing various songs that has the word in it to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would say my surname is not uncommen it's quite commen actually but the way we my family spell it is rare.

It was something my father adapted when he was in school in England for a while and it just stuck.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That said, there are a few famous american athletes with the same surname, I'll claim them as cousins

Mine is the same as a top American military general. That's the only time I've ever seen it in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

My surname is quite common around East Clare and Tipperary. The name originates from the brother of an Irish King, and there's also a castle close to Lough Derg that was said to be one of our ancestral homes. If I ever won the Euromillions I'd like to buy the castle from the Irish state, renovate it completely, and then decorate it with flags and banners of my family coat of arms. I'd then buy a title and live out my fantasy as a Game of Thrones style feudal Lord. I might even start charging the "smallfolk" around the area yearly tithes and taxes and demand that they bend the knee and pledge allegiance to me :D

Post edited by Sgt Hartman on

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Very uncommon spelling, but not that weird I think. Just found this cool site.

https://forebears.io/surnames/robert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I checked mine. It's only in english speaking countries. There's about 6k in the us which is the highest. And really feck all worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This thread needs to start listing surnames.....

Mine is rare enough.....Toast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

For information and the historical distribution of Irish names, try this site:

https://www.johngrenham.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Very interesting link. Only approximately 1,210 of us worldwide. Makes me want to look into it further 🤓

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭neenam

Mother's maiden name, I'm also originally from the North Cork area. From the John Grenham website "rare: E Cork etc. Ir. Ó Mothlacháin, dimin. of mothalach, bushy-haired."

Father's surname is concentrated in the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, followed by Limerick and North Cork area. I've rarely met anyone with the father's/my own surname out and about, so I guess it's not that common compared to the likes of O'Brien, etc.

Post edited by neenam on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭neenam

Mother's maiden name, I'm also originally from the North Cork area. From the John Grenham website "rare: E Cork etc. Ir. Ó Mothlacháin, dimin. of mothalach, bushy-haired."

Father's surname is concentrated in the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, followed by Limerick and North Cork area. I've rarely met anyone with the father's/my own surname out and about, so I guess it's not that common compared to the likes of O'Brien, etc. Oh and "numerous: Kerry, Limerick etc. Ir. Ó Clúmháin, clúmhach meaning hairy, furry."

You'd swear we have some reputation for great hair in the family 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Quite rare. Anglicisation of an Irish name - but, we must be pretty poor at the auld riddin' (felt it was my duty to put that right) or produce mostly girls. Sissy Mickey I heard it called 🤣

The problem with that... if you are in the rare category is that you'd be pretty much outing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yep. I know if I posted my name there's a few people who'd know exactly who I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

165 in ireland with my surname - and they keep refering to it being an english version of the scottish name, rather than the irish name (its the english version of both)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My surname is a common Munster surname. My mother's maiden name is more unusual and is a planter name. Breeding in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That forebears site is interesting...there are apparently only 21 of us in Ireland in 2014, presumably all my family. There's thousands in the US and UK, and weirdly 74 in Finland.

Advertisement