Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuchel sacked by chelsea

• 07-09-2022 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭

Huge news, and big sacking so early in the season, regarless of how 'bad' the opening has been.

Poch now or Enrique (maybe) in January would be favourites, I guess. Interesting times ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd say Rodgers would love to go back, wasn't he there with yer man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don;t see anyone touching Rodgers at the moment. Not a 'big' side anyway. Why sack Tuchel and go for a manager that is having an even worse season?

Poch would be a good pick up for them, I could see him (trying) using Auba/Haverts/Sterling similar to Kane/Ali/Son of his spurs team. Mount for Eriksen. James for Walker. Cucerella/Chillwell for Rose. Feels like the squad balance/player type matches up with a balance/style he had success with previously. Obviously could be a Spurs/Chelsea rivalry issue, but gut says that won't be an issue.

Enrique after the WC, or maybe Graham Potter.

Can't see it being anyone outside of those 3, to be honest. Maybe they'll put a call into Zidane, but I think he holds tight til after the WC to see if the France job comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Crazy , in fact fact stupid, he has lost 3 games , given 250 million to spend and expected to blend to team in 6 games. Boehlly really in total control, with little experience, needed a DoF not a new manager, unless they get one in soon , they will just have Boehlly managing team and picking and devising tactics. Poch is the only one I can se settling things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Seems a bit premature to say the least, crazy sacking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Absolutely idiotic decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Wild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Silly decision.

The sack him after a slightly poor 6 game start, after spending tons of money in a scatter gun approach. Its nuts.

How could he be expected to gel that team in such a short space.

I'd guess he/chelsea have had a falling out over the summer business, to be honest, and that is as large a part of the reason for the sacking as results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be down to events behind the scenes as much as, if not more than, the results so far. Still think it's mad though.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Tuchel got a bit lucky to win the CL. In another era he might have won a league, but he is just not good enough to compete with Klopp or Man City. Of course, who is?

So who decided record summer spend ?

Aubama was supposedly bought because he worked with Tuchel - They completly over spent on transfers for me including Aubameyang, Sterling, Fofana and Cucerella . Boehlly needs to step back and let someone who knows the game make the footballing decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Was coming in my opinion. Very good manager who would eventually turn it around but you don't get time anymore.

If Chelsea had any sense they'd go for Potter but I think they'll end up going for a name in Potter/Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Won't be sorry to see the back of his touchline histrionics. 90 minutes of gesturing and arm waving over a bloody throw in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems to be have been on the cards a while, talk of losing the dressing room and communication issues between him, players and board. They apparently want a manager who buys into their collaborative way of doing things, whatever that means. Potter sounds like a good fit for that.

trying and failing for several players before signing some of those players though.

Auba a last minute signing, while trying and failing for Leao for example. Wanted and missed out on Raphina then Gordan (no other winger signed), wanted Kounde, missed - got Fofana but he's only just in the door. Wanted a new CM, got a Juve reject on loan on the last day of the window.

Auba coming in because Tuchel knows him... great. but that could just mean Tuchel didn't like the other options Chelsea were going for. United tried to sign ARnautovic because EtH knew him (thankfully that fell through and the club panic bought Antony for 100m instead....).

there were stories before the end of the window that Tuchel was looking forward to getting back to coaching and not needing to be as involved in player recruitment as he had to be this summer gone; which paints a not so rosey picture to be honest.

I'm not saying Tuchel played not part in the summer and any criticisms of the summer don't touch him - but I certainly get the feeling the Chelsea summer did not go as he would have liked it to, or expected it to. All the people above him (Marina, Cech) leaving, the head scout leaving.... it just doesn't seem all was well at Chelsea this summer, and I think it will have played a larger part than just results did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Aubameyang will be throwing the toys out of the pram now.

Did Fofana go to the US for his medical..? Found that a bit unusual, owners seem to be getting well involved here. Fans will be crying for Abramovich next..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think Potter would take longer to get his style implemented than the amount of time he would be given. His first two years at Brighton were similar enough results to Hughton before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looking to speak to Potter. Be a great appointment constantly impressed by him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

More a victim of regime change than poor results this imo. Looks like the policy changed in the summer and where Marina dealt with transfers before and Tuchel focused on the football they wanted him more active on the transfer side of things which for whatever reason he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If Potter had any sense, he probably wouldn't consider it.

It would obviously be a huge move for him and extremely hard to turn down but he's on a win win with Brighton atm and even if he does well at Chelsea, he could be gone in a year.

Poch would be the likely candidate for me, he has the experience of dealing with the same levels of crazy at PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Potter doesn't have the experience to handle Chelsea's brand of chaos. Pochetino is my guess for the job, he's been around. Whoever it is is only there for a year or two maximum anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Potter just lacks that big time manager aura and charisma. Ten Hag lacks charisma too but has a winning CV and Champions League experience. I would be wary of appointing the Brighton man. He would probably jump at the opportunity and, no doubt, has a release clause built into his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When I saw the result from yesterday I had a feeling his sacking was coming but not this quick. New owners probably was looking to start fresh but why not do it in the summer. His interviews were not great this season with everyone else is the problem not me. Skysports say Potter but doubt it. Maybe he is gone for a while wich might change his mind but did Poch not say something about not working for Spurs London rivals or did I get that wrong

I said more or less exactly what you said there😆

Ya but we are just assuming the new ownership is a continuation of the previous regime. Maybe they are willing to be patient with Potter. Sacking Tuchel was right, he'd lost it and the football is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Seems like a mad decision, he did an amazing job when he sorted out the mess Lampard had left behind. Granted they have had a bad start to the season by their standards, but losing Rudiger (best defender in the PL for me) was always going to be huge and Kante missing the last few games has been telling. Still some serious talent at the club but some of their signings have felt strange. Think Potter is a brilliant manager but not sure he'd fancy going to the madness that he'd find at Chelsea. His time will come and he will be well sought after when he decides the time is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

The Potter debate as to whether he'd be wise to take the job is a very interesting one.

His stock is as high right now as it's ever been, and possibly as high as it ever will be. But football is fickle, so you never know where his stock might be at the end of the season. This could be the best chance he gets to manage a "top 6" club.

And let's be honest, he'll probably only be there for 2 years max, but getting sacked by Chelsea isn't going to ruin his career. If he picks up an FA Cup and finishes in the top 4 in that time, he'll still be in the running for other big jobs.

I think if he's offered the job, he'd be mad not to take it.

City aren't sacking Pep, and if they did it is probably Enrique (or outside bet Arteta) if they do.

Liverpool aren't sacking Klopp.

United might sack Ten Hag, but if they do they will be in a massive mess after years of massive messes, so Potter should be shying from that.

So after those three, you are looking at Arsenal (if City or someone take Arteta) or Spurs or Chelsea. Chelsea is available now. If Potter wants a 'big' job, this is the chance he has to take imo.

Newcastle went with Howe, don't seem the upgrading from him to Potter.

Why leave Brighton as they are for Everton, Villa, Wolves, West Ham?

As for hisCV, players aren't thick. They have seen and played against Brighton, they know he is no mug.

• Advertisement

Yep.

look at Rodgers when Ole was sacked. was considered a front runner for the job (and publicly turned it down, whether he was offered or not).

Look at Rodgers now - is he, a former chelsea man, being spoken of for the job? Don't think so, or at least not considered a front runner for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Oddest one in a long time - why back him with £270 million if that was the plan - where those transfers based on some one else's wish list I wonder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As a fan I would agree, without doubt he is probably better off biding his time a bit longer than go to them because of the basket case nature of the club and lack of patience shown.

But as a manager, you have to think he will back himself & this is one of the top jobs in football so whats he at if it isn't to get himself one of those? This could be his only realistic shot for quite some time.

Tricky one for him, hes a very shrewd guy though & if they do come in heavy for him I'm sure he will weigh it all up before jumping.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If Potter really wants a chance of a big club then he'll jump at it. But I'm not so sure he is the type of guy desperate for that call.

He's a young enough manager, seems to be determined to build the right play, play the right way, but his way.

I just get the impression that, while a job like Chelsea would have to appeal to him on lots of levels, he seems the type that would approach it with more caution than most.

I haven't a clue at the end of the day, but that's just my impression.

Juding by them, I'd say it was Boehlly wish list - over priced marquee signings , do not see a football plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm not so sure, I think Tuchel had a large say in the transfer targets.

Reliable linked with a big number of CBs and wing backs, to play his system. There was talks too that Raphinha was going to be converted into a wing back if he was signed too. Tuchel obviously wanted Auba as the striker too as they had worked together previously.

• Advertisement

They already sounded out the former Liverpool sporting director Edwards, so shows what sort of direction they are going. Its a sustainable model going forward for Chelsea, 2 young defenders brought in this summer was the bulk of the spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Seemingly Brighton have granted them permission to talk to Potter

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Money talks and at the end of the day, no manager in Potters position would turn down Chelsea. Absolute worst case scenario he joins them, has a mare and walks away with an 8 figure severance package. He's been talked up alot so it will be very interesting to see what he does with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just because they spent 270 million, doesn't mean they back him. Sterling is the only one that seems to have made any sense for the money paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

I dont see it as that odd of a sacking , it seemed like he was not far off a mental breakdown tbh. Needed to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems they are going for Potter, probably a good choice. Be interesting to see if he jumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He's been on edge for months now, was inevitable. Whining about transfers and his players performances and having no answers to why they werent performing better. Averaging less than 2pts a game with that squad over 60+ games isnt good enough, while playing brutal football that relied on defenders to score because he wants to play with as many defensive players as possible.

Yes he did win the Champions League, but they havnt kicked on from that. I'm just disappointed it happened now, had hoped he'd hang on until the WC break and have Chelsea's season in bits.

Potter would be mad not to take it. More money, chance to win the biggest trophies if it goes right. Doesn't go well, he'll get another PL job handy enough. He'll likely win nothing at Brighton and has them doing as well as they can. Time to grab his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah, I see it as a no-lose scenario for Potter. If it doesn't work out and he get's sacked, everyone knows that he's still a very good coach and Chelsea under this new American bloke are a basket case and most PL clubs will still take him in a heartbeat. If it goes well and he wins stuff, then he's proven himself as an elite manager.

The problem is if he waits, his stock might not be as high at the end of the season and his chance is gone.

Like, every Chelsea manager ends up getting sacked eventually. It doesn't make them bad coaches. I'm hearing Juventus are very interested in Tuchel atm. That says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

A lot depends upon Potter's ambition, and does he need the stress?

If he goes for it, he needs to get Chelsea to commit to a long-term contract and then he's laughing.

He could be retired into punditry at 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's a win win for Potter if he goes, it's going to be very hard to turn down, the money plus the chance to prove himself at a top club (if he has that ambition), and it's perfect that it's Chelsea because if they decide to sack him it wont really harm his reputation.

On the other hand it's a big risk for Chelsea, for as well as he's done at Brighton this would be an enormous step up, this is levels above anything he's ever done before, it's a step into the unknown for Chelsea...it's really impossible to predict how this will work out.

Poch would be the safer choice, experience in the PL with a top club, used to big players and has dealt with crazy unscrupulous owners before.

Of course he'll take the job if offered it because it's one of the top jobs in England. Even if he's sacked after a season it's not the end of his managerial career. Tutchel will get good offers again despite this sacking. Didn't they sack Conte and Ancelotti? They went on to manage clubs as big or bigger in Ancelotti's case.

Not doubting that he would get a job but Potter is more Moyes than Ancelotti or Conte. Both.had well established CVs and would be fairly certain of walking into another big job.

If things didn't work out for Potter he would probably have to start off down the rung again at a less big PL club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Surely it's more about what he'll bring to Chelsea rather than how City are getting on without him that will determine whether or not he turns out to be a bargain?

• Advertisement
Advertisement