Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia did not pass on government €200 credit to me

Options
  • 07-09-2022 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I never got the €200 government credit from Energia and I'm stumped on what to do about it. I'm with Energia since early last year and attempted to switch provider in March. Energia contacted me during the cooling off period with a deal to remain with them which I accepted. So I never switched and Energia remained my supplier. When I contacted them to ask why I didn't get the €200 credit I got this response:

I can see that you switched suppliers on 15-03-2022 and then you decided to come back to Energia, your completion back to us wasn’t until 31-03-2022.

Unfortunately you had to have been with a supplier on 29-03-2022 and you were not with energia on that date which means we couldn’t give you the €200 credit.

We have now sent all the money given back to the government.

You may need to get in contact with an MP to see if they can give you this credit as unfortunately we cant add the credit to your account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

So it went to the supplier you switched to. I don't know why you can't see this.

That you switched back is neither here nor there as for a period of some days your mprn was registered with another supplier and that coincided with the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Contact the supplier you switched to for that fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

i know what happened. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone had any ideas on how I could claim the credit I’m entitled to.

Although I do think they should have informed me that switching back to them meant losing the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why should Energia tell you that? The supplier you were leaving maybe, but not Energia. This has nothing to do with Energia. Contact the other supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

See I had thought about switching providers too but thought something like this could happen and did not risk it. So glad. Last thing I need is this kind of hassle oh and by the way I never got the 100 Euros water credit back then even do I have a water meter and had payed a bill :( but I know some who never paid a cent and they still got it :( .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Ok I just fired off an email to the company I switched to. I’d say I’ve no chance of getting this credit.

With rumours of two more government credits this scenario is something switchers should be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Extract from Citizen Information website:

"What if I switched suppliers?

If you switched electricity supplier between 29 March 2022 and 30 June 2022, the supplier you were with on 29 March 2022 is responsible for giving you the credit.

A supplier can apply the credit to your closing bill or credit you back through the same method pay your bills."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I hope you included your mprn number and account number that they gave you in your switching email from them.

There's nothing worse than getting an email from someone that contains no reference details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Totally the wrong attitude, everyone should be switching every year, it'll cost you more than the 200 not switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're Northern Irish and likely have all their support staff up there. Hence UK terminology

This is going to be a problem. Like another poster I was going to change provider and did so a few weeks in advance of the credit being due. I asked both the provider I was leaving and the new one (Energia as it turns out) what would happen. They were really helpful and clear and told me to give myself that 2 week window , otherwise the credit could disappear somewhere between both into a big black hole!

I have just sold my house and can see that it will be about 6 months before I buy another house and get through the conveyancing. So I think I will miss all of the credits this winter! (in the meantime I will have a short term rent, already sorted, ESB included in rent I think, Oil is not)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Contact the CRU about it. I had similar issue when moving from Flogas to Electric Ireland. Both companies claimed the other was responsible for the credit, even though I was with Flogas at the time of the credit coming due (by about 3 days). Contacted the CRU and cc'd Flogas and EI into emails. EVENTUALLY Flogas admitted it was them who needed to issue the credit and they did.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

I am in the middle of moving house. If we do get a credit like the rumours circulating, wonder will i just miss out

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

You won't get the credit if you don't have an active account with any provider at the time it is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Does anyone know whether the €600 electricity credit announced in the 2023 budget is inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

The last credit of €200 included VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MrJimi

Hi everybody,

I live in a converted outhouse on a farm with more houses all connected with Pinergy meters to the main electricity supply meter.

I received €40.00 earlier this year, was hoping more would come, but it didn't.

Now I am concerned that I am going to lose on the €600.00. I have contacted Pinergy via email, was informed that my account number (the number on the card) could not be found. (When I downloaded the Pinergy app to my phone, the app gave me the same error message. however I am still able to top-up via the Payzone website). I have all the email confirmations that my top-ups were successful, and the top-up codes.

Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks, Jimi

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll probably get 1/5th again. Your situation is very very questionable as goes reselling of electricity

I managed to get this €200 in the end. I contacted a local TD (Ged Nash) and fair play to him he got me sorted. I got a cheque from ESB for the €200 and Energia also gave me a €30 credit as way of apology for how they handled it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement