Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got laid off but must train replacement

Options
  • 07-09-2022 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I’m being laid off but I am training someone (who may or may not have a different job title) to replace me. I given just a month’s notice.

What are the relevant laws governing this situation?

I figured layoffs were when there was no more work to do but in this case I’m training my replacement so perhaps it constitutes a firing? In this case I wasn’t given prior warning, proof etc

We’re a remote company so its possible that my replacement (who lives in different country) is employed by a different national entity, if that makes a difference.

Post edited by stainluss on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

How long have you been employed in the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

[Please delete this comment]

It’s possible your job is outsourced to another supplier based abroad? What does the written communication say? I’d be looking for a strong reference NOW before the “training” month is up-it worries me that you don’t know whether you’re being fired or made redundant - you need to pay a bit more attention as to what’s going on in your work life

They don't qualify for redundancy having only been there under a year.

• Advertisement

Sorry I misworded, the tasks are definitely going to a co-worker within the same company (but most companies have a different legal entity per-country) who has just been hired. The only bit I was unsure about was job title, they might have additional tasks beyond what I do, but they will be doing what I currently do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sounds like they've rolled two (or more) jobs into one cheaper person.

What does the written communication say? This is important- you need to be able to tell your next employer under what circumstances you left your previous employment. If you’re being let go due to rationalisation or outsourcing or downsizing then fine- but if you’re being fired for some performance or other behavioural issue that’s a totally different thing and it will impact your next employment prospects

I know but you can still be made redundant - why they’re leaving their current work impacts hugely on future employment prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Id start calling in sick. It's not up to you to train your replacement. I'm surprised the company did it this. Usually they would hire your replacement and tell you he is there to help you. You would you train them and then they would let you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The OP mentions that the work is been moved to another country and another state. It is not unusually in some states to exiting employee to train up the replacement and unless there is something in the contract to preventing it, it is expected. It won't take a genius to figure out the game if the OP starts calling in sick, next stop the company doctor and immediate dismissal. When people want to get shot of you, the last thing you should do is make it easier for them, especially it it might cost you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭delboythedub

Time to pull an extra sickie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

In which case you can be let go with no real comeback available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you must train your replacement or else what ? they will fire you ? you are not entitled to redundancy so..... what exactly can they do ?

By the time they have figured it out it will be easier to pay you off the last few weeks and just be rid of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

They must make the role redundant and not the person. I’d say you should get advice from an employment solicitor because seeing the absolute tripe the WRC has been awarding compensation for of late, you may well have a case. You should find out. Not a hope I’d train a replacement when I’m being made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd just ghost em, take yer stuff and go. Wouldn't be bothered entertaining their silly demands any further

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This, I’d just walk…

print any emails or correspondence relating to this situation and leave. In the middle of a shift the day the new person starts to ensure maximum confusion and inconvenience…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The role is redundant: it's been moved from Ireland to another, likely lower cost, geography.

In a WFH world, this will happen more often than ever.

OP focus on making sure you have a good reference from the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Companies don’t give references any more. They literally will just give the dates you eirked there from and to. As such, not worth the paper they are written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You could be plamasing and turning the other cheek to the fella who made you redundant all day long and taking your replacement out for drinks in the evening and if it's a small enough industry where all the moguls know each other you can still get vilified at the golf course or at some convention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

To be more accurate, the role is not redundant but it is being moved to another, lower-cost employee. This is not legal and would be reasonable grounds for unfair dismissal in the WRC. It's very hard for an employer to argue that a role is no longer needed when they have OP training their replacement. Employers cannot legally just let people go if they find someone who can do their job for less money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The work is being transferred to another legal entity in a foreign country. The job will not longer exist in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

You are correct when it comes to a written reference, but it is still very common to call up a previous employer for a reference. I would not hire someone without doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭HBC08

Haha! " a good reference "

Solid advice from the 90s there.

You clearly have no idea how the professional world works. If you want to get hired into any role of any importance you will need to have someone of signifigance at a former workplace who will vouch for you.

You must be very naive to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Book some time in with a solicitor ASAP. I was in a similar situation last year and it was the best money I've ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,810 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does your company not start to remove access to their systems once they know you are leaving?

Especially if it is them making the decision to kick you out!

OP, forgive me if this sounds harsh, but I believe that it is accurate.

If you are not even in a role for 12 months, then you can anyway be fired for convenience? i.e. without any comeback? And without the employer providing any justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

But it will still exist and so is not the person doing it is not redundant. The employer has stated that is their reason for ending the OPs employment, and in an unfair dismissal case the onus will be on them to prove that. Simply moving the role to another legal entity will not be sufficient for the WRC, if they have had the OP training his replacement.

Even were that true they have not said they were firing him for convenience, they've said his role was redundant, which would then need to be true for this to be a fair dismissal.

• Advertisement

CrookedJack > Even were that true they have not said they were firing him for convenience, they've said his role was redundant, which would then need to be true for this to be a fair dismissal.

That is a valid point.

OP, can you clarify what the exact wording was when you were terminated, and whether or not you were given any feedback on poor performance, etc. I know you wrote 'laid off' but that can mean different things to different people sometime.

Advertisement