Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got laid off but must train replacement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Thanks for taking time on this. The exact wording:

The management has decided to terminate your employment due to the degradation of the world’s macroeconomic conditions, which the company believes may badly impact its ability to raise funds in the foreseeable future, a decision was made to reduce the amount of employees.

I just used the word redundancy in a colloquial sense, they’re not so specific in the above.

In case it makes a difference, the person I am training is a new hire (as they mention reduction in employees).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

The wording is quite interesting as it does not say that your current role is being made redundant. i.e. it i saying that the company is reducing it's headcount. Have you colleagues in a similar role that have not been effected, or are they also losing their jobs? Have you a feeling for why some people are being terminated, and not others, at your own location?

A third of the company have been let go, with people leaving and staying in each role. I am the only one I know of where a new employee has been hired.

Not particularly clear on how it was done, there isn’t a perfect correlation with tenure or performance to speak of…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Seriously OP - just do what you’re asked and then find another job! Life is too short to be wasting time on, at best, tenuous causes! You are not being made redundant… you are being let go within your first year of employment which means that you have very limited recourse options!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ah no- there’s legal obligations companies must fulfill when hiring and indeed firing staff- without them there would be a free for all. I’d be sure to get legal advice at the very least to ensure I well getting all I was entitled to and correct procedures had green followed. No one will reward you for being walked on

• Advertisement

Just to clarify as of my last day I’ll be there one year. Also I’m not making this the centre of my universe, just making sure I’m getting a fair goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Just do a really crap job training your replacement, don't be overly available when they need you, take your interviews during work hours, etc. You owe them nothing, they are treating you like shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Hardly a coincidence? See attached from Citizens Information re very limited grounds for a claim of unfair dismissal within the first year of employment - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/unfair_dismissal.html

No sorry I mean (just) over a year at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If you think that your job was terminated without justification such as your ability to do the job or qualifications, there’s a few others then unfair dismissal is an option with the WRC. Now don’t do it if it’s not justified but if new people are coming in the macro degeneration sounds like BS.

you have to show you were dismissed and they have to show it’s fair. Could you ask someone in HR or your manager for feedback and an exit interview. Hope all goes well.

But don’t leave before you reach the required amount of service. And if you are going tha way you have 6 months from date of dismissal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement