Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 07-09-2022 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to plant some hedging for border cover and often hear that the best time to plant is either October or March. However, all the websites that do hedging seem to show out of stock or out of season. Are there any particular hedges that are known to be available this time of year? Maybe the garden centres sell them and just not online? Also, any tips on something that grows quickly enough but controllable for a once a year cut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's true, but its not October yet! Mid October and into November you will get bare root which is the best way of growing hedging. You will get hedging grown in pots any time, even mid summer, but its an expensive way to plant a hedge and later in the season is more reliable for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Thanks. Ok, I’m getting ahead of myself so!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

With late growth this year the bare root season may be pushed well back. If the weather stays mild the leaves won't fall off for a while yet. Most of stuff I got last year wasn't available until january

Advertisement