Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

It would be lovely watching them implode except for the fact they’re giving the impression that they’re speaking on behalf of Ireland and the Irish people

Do they not realise they have just killed their career- preaching on Twitter is free but it doesn’t pay the bills- there’s not a corporate or TV station that will employ them now after that triad of anti-English sentiment - they’ve bitten the hand that fed them - British public won’t like it and Ireland wants nothing to do with them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

They had zero career to kill hence the controversial tweets. Tweets they are entitled to make if they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disgraceful form from the Police IMO. As much as I am an abolitionist, it's a bit tacky to be doing it before the queen is buried and the nation is mourning. She should still have the right to free speech.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Looks like most are getting sick of it all. Top 3 most read stories on bbc news is Sweden's election and two on the Ukraine.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She had 2 other uncles. If you go through the sequence, Edward VIII did not die until 1972, by which time the oldest surviving brother was Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester

Of course the whole of history may have been very different and those of us not already alive in 1937 would probably never have existed.....

• Advertisement

I hardly think he is unaware. The point that escapes you in your moral illiteracy is that she doesn’t get a free pass from responsibility in the colonial dispossession of the Chagos islanders simply because she might cause trouble for her family or cause people to stop and think if euphemisms such as “muddled and imperfect fashion” are adequate to describe the continued presumption of the British parliament and people in their despicable colonial activities in the 20th century.

Apologists for monarchy on this thread are somehow personally invested in defending the indefensible. Every day I see the preposterous obsequiousness promoted by the msm and Irish people on this thread I have two emotions: pride in those who fought for freedom and made us a Republic and worry for future generations who may be hoodwinked back into a connection with such a toxic class ridden society and institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

She gets a free pass because she had precisely zero to do with the fate of Chagos Islanders.

If she started trying to assert executive power on foreign policy matters the constitutional framework of the United Kingdom collapses.

Pilger and many more besides need to hit the books it appears. But then again, Pilger has long since proven himself to have nothing but cement between his ears and can be trusted to take the brain-dead Tankie line on almost every matter. And I say this as someone who thinks the monarchy is a rather silly institution.

She couldnt step down no? Decided to soldier on as the figurehead.

Right, a monarch is going to overturn a constitutional settlement dating from the 17th century over the fate of an island the size of a shopping centre car park.

Take the Queen out of the equation and imagine Britain had non-executive President at the time. You're left with the same constitutional crisis.

Pilger is a dolt.

i didn’t question their right to post- I only highlighted the implications

• Advertisement

What will they achieve though? can they make tons of money posting that sh1te on Twitter?

Correction, you want to give her a free pass for your own reasons. Stop defending the absurd.

She was a highly privileged lady who spent her life in great comfort smiling and playing a key role in maintaining the toxic class system in Britain. May she Rest In Peace and may her family like any family find comfort. Sin a bhfuil.

True - I think though there’s a balancing act between free speech and being in the middle of a crowd of people who are royal fans trying to stir things up- I imagine she got arrested for her own safety or potentially incitement to hatred/riot or whatever the law might be- people attacked a chip shop owner in Scotland for similar behaviour - both have a right to free speech and both are idiots in my view

Look, you're bringing up Diego Garcia. Own it. She had about as much to do with that matter as she had to do with the rate of VAT on Skittles.

Some people really need to hit the books.

I'm not making a defence of monarchy. Just introducing to you the fact that non-executive heads of state have f*ckall to do with the policies and actions of the executive unless they want to make a power play and plunge their country into a constitutional crisis.

Sorry there was many times where she could have stepped down because of the atrocities that her country commited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Everything that was drilled into her from the day of her birth was that her country was better off with a monarchy. She was home-schooled remember. It was drilled into her that her own personal feelings on whether she was the right person for the job should be ignored. It was drilled into her that she must not react to anything that the government did - it was for the people to decide whether they were a good or bad government, not her. If she interfered, the monarchy would fall instantly. You can't undo that level of conditioning. We can all stand back and say that we would throw our lives into the fire on a matter of principle, but the reality is that very little of us would. I don't hold her responsible for her government's actions. I hold the government (and the people who elect them) responsible. A figurehead is just that, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Turned on Sky News just now and thought they were showing footage from whatever ceremony was on the other day, turns out it was live and they're having another one! I can't keep track. Like what I suspect is most Irish people, I understand the importance and respect the Queen commanded, while also thinking the amount of OTT lavishness, pomp and ceremony that goes with the royal circus is utterly ridiculous.

I’ll give you credit for being an unashamed imperialist. It’s incredible to see anyone reduce the lives of the Chagos Islanders to “the fate of an island the size of a supermarket car park”. Land before people. Other peoples land to be taken at will. Dressed up in the pretentious pseudo legalistic and morally vacuous language of “constitutional settlement” .

You sound remarkably like Putin in your Defence of imperialism.

As I said I give you credit for stating it so obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

They are just trying to stay relevant ( not that they ever were anyway ) attention seeking shite. Sad bastards using the queen's death in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I like watching the British royalty stuff. In the same way that I like watching the Oscars, except with the royals it is glamour mixed with ancient archaic rules, which I find fascinating/amusing. Now, similar to my view on all celebrities, I don't think all the royals are wonderful people (and they clearly aren't) but its nice to put that aside on occasion and just watch the show. I would fully expect 10 days of lavish and confusing ceremonies, conducted by someone called the Kings Knight of the Garter and the Realms (or some other equally convoluted title) when the head of the family dies after sitting on the throne for 70 years.

Now, the minute I would have to pay a red cent to subsidise them they'd be out on their ear. You could harp on about how much tourism money they bring in, but it would fall on deaf ears. I couldn't care less if their existence makes a profit - which is very much debatable anyway. But I'm perfectly happy for the Brits to subsidise them and I can just enjoy the spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. Can't have it both ways. She was either an apolitical head of state or she wasn't. Giving her credit for overseeing this or that includes appalling imperialism including the Chagos Islands.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

yes the old person died. but taking into consideration what this old person supported and what never apologized at least for, i couldnt care less. it is so not the mainstream at the moment but ya, i will not pretend otherwise.

You have a child-like state of mind. You think the French lacked appetite for their imperial project by virtue of the the fact they were a republic? You think old Adolf excercised restraint because he didn't carry the title of Kaiser?

This is very, very basic. You brought up an extremely dumb tweet from a discredited tankie about Diego Garcia.

The monarch had no shape of or role in anything to do with that. And you would have had exactly the same outcome were Britain to be a republic (in fact there is a died-in-the-wool republic involved in that boogaloo).

The UK has had the most hands-off constitutional monarchy since the 17th century.

Monarchy or no monarchy, you'd have had your imperialism.

Whether the British want to maintain their constitutional monarchy is up to them. I personally think it's silly - but they have the most benign form of monarchy one could conceive of.

You're losing the plot over an old lady and appear to think she pored over maps barking at generals telling them to seize ports in the East Indies.

It's growing up time. The monarchy hasn't functioned that way in a very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That quite the stretch some Island with no indigenous population and 1000 inhabitants to Putin who starts a European war with 44 million people, and makes nuclear threats to the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I give her credit for f*ck all really. Some British are in rapture to the idea she was one of history's greatest figures. Some head-the-balls on the left are in rapture to the idea she sent telegrams to her generals ordering tanks to roll over hills and plains in far-off places.

Neither are true.

She was most likely to be found cutting the ribbon at a community centre in Hull.

A bit of perspective from wingnuts of both stripes is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think people have to make up their mind if the Queen was head of an evil empire. Or if the empire doesn't exist, and the queens has no influence on anything. You have can't it both ways.

Did I say she was responsible? She was utterly unimportant in my opinion. Did i say she should interfere? She certainly had the option of stepping down as a figurehead. She chose not too. Ill judge her based off the scumbag actions of a nation she was figurehead of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Watching British tv at the moment is completely nauseating. Just happened to see a couple of minutes of This Morning today and saw Phil asking Holly almost tearfully how her children were coping with the loss of the queen. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Advertisement