Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went cyberstalking, he had a fianceé until recently.

• 08-09-2022 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Ok I know this will make me look more unhinged than a broken door but we're here now so I really would appreciate some advice.

Matched on Tinder last week. Spent the whole weekend messaging back and forth. Quiet during the work day, messaging again at night after work. Even messaged me while in the middle of a brothers catch up call. Busy schedules so first date set for Wednesday next week. So far, on board. All good right?

So. I found him on Facebook. He had previously mentioned an ex. Didn't mention how long he's been single, I didn't press on it. Turns out it's at least since after March because his EX FIANCEÉ tagged him in a sweet birthday message.

Of course, he doesn't know I know he was once engaged, likely until very recently. What would you do when going into this? How would you tread?

All thoughts, positive or not, welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Go on the date and ask him. He has done nothing wrong with you so far. Ask him about how long he's out of relationship, ever married or engaged etc...those are normal enough things to ask. If you're 100% sure he was engaged and he lies, it's a different story then. He could be single near 6 months now which is fair enough.

After that, you just have to ensure he's not still engaged! But that will come with time if you get together.

For now it's only a date....and I wouldn't worry about the cyberstalking everybody does that these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

What difference does it make that he was engaged as long as he's single now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Has he lied to you? If you asked whether he was ever engaged and he said no - that's a bad lie and you should walk, quick.

If you didn't ask, he didn't do anything wrong. It's hardly a good pickup line 'Hi, my engagement just broke down, wanna hook up?' he might have received advice not to mention it, maybe he's waiting for you to ask about the ex or for a good moment to tell.

If it were me:

1. I'd come up with an explanation of how I know he's engaged, in case I need to explain it and not seem like a crazy mofo. Maybe a friend (unnamed) pointed it out to me, I'm not crazy she is. No you can't know who it is.
    2. Skirt around the topic so you don't have to use the story in 1. above, that's the last resort if pressed back only.
    3. And poke, you're curious about his past relationships, as any couple is. Talk about it, maybe offer your own talk a bit about it, get him to open up. Ask him if he was ever serious about any of them. If he says no, I think that's a lie already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Is the man barred from future relationships because he was once engaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't mention it on your date. It'll come up in due course if he wants to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

He could be single six months now for all you know. You've not met the guy and are already freaking out about something you have very little information about and that's fairly standard. We all have relationship baggage. Why the freakout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So what exactly is the issue then? You haven't even met the guy yet, why do you think this should have come up already?

Jaysis, you haven't even had a date with the guy yet and you're already creeping on his social media and over thinking it.

You'd be too intense for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

OP im sorry to say that isnt a good look for you at all.

id have been more surprised if it had come up already, you havent even met in person yet. its obviously a big thing for him so its not something youd casually slip into conversation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I have to echo what Buddy says here - just talk to him. that's the whole point of first dates, to get to know each other and learn each others stories. Don't over think things just yet.

Similarly, I strongly urge you not to go down this road. Any advice that condemns him if he lies yet also suggests you prepare your lies to tell him is not healthy. Game playing does not lead to happy relationships, lying, emotional dishonesty and suspicion are terrible basis to start out on. Why would you not just say "I looked at your Facebook" if asked? In case you seem too interested? In case you seem insecure? That is what you did, and it is who you are, which he will discover eventually. At this point pretending to be something you're not is just cheating yourself of a viable relationship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Matched on Tinder last week. 

You've only been in contact a week. She's an ex, which he told you about. If you gel its likely he'll give more information as time passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What are you insinuating then?

Because it certainly sounds to me like you have a problem with the fact that he once was engaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

What?

I don't get it. What's the issue? That he hasn't told you he was engaged up until this year? And you've only been talking to him a few days, and you haven't met him yet. What the hell.

You're too much weirdo here for most men. If you do meet him, for the love of jaysus don't tell him what you've just told boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

some blokes don't like going on about themselves, if he's single now there's not issue and if it the relationship blossoms then he'll tell you .....f** exes

• Administrators Posts: 14,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The Young Wan, what's your issue with the fact he was engaged? You've have plenty relationships yourself. And lots of threads here about them. I believe you felt that last one was "the one".

You haven't even met him and you're freaking out about stuff he hasn't told you yet. He doesn't know you. He knows very little about you. You are someone he matched with on Tinder last week. Maybe one of 3 or 4 he matched with. He has no obligation to go telling you anything about his past, yet.

Calm down. Meet him. See if you like him. See if he likes you. And let things develop at a normal pace. You're prone to going 0-100 very quickly. Time to step back and realise you are not in a relationship with this fella. You are getting to know him. And you're not going to get to know everything in the first few days and without even meeting him.

And please do not go down the convoluted route of making up a "friend" who knows him/looked him up. It'll just make you crazy looking.

My issue isn't that he was engaged. It's that he may not be in a position where he's looking for the same level of commitment I am.

Having had previous relationships, as BBOC has pointed out I'm equally guilty of doing, is not the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

So what if he was engaged? (No judgement on the cyber looking btw). But jesus, so what if he was engaged or married. As long as he is single now then what's the problem?

You haven't even met him and you're talking about commitment.

You might meet him and feel absolutely nothing for him.

Either go into this relaxed without expectation. Or call off the date now. You're going to be on edge the whole time wondering what it means, is he looking for a relationship, will he mention the ex fiancée, will you?

Unless you are ready to date without expecting every "match" to lead to longterm, it might be better to step back for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

You haven't met yet, isn't it a bit early for you to be looking for commitment?

On the other hand, someone who has been engaged looks to me to be open to the idea of commitment. I'd go on the date with an open mind if I were you. When you get around to discussing both your pasts, you'll be able to ask about his engagement. Assuming you get that far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You have an interesting way of looking at things OP. Other people would probably really like the idea of meeting someone who had been in a longer term and committed relationship, rather than seeing endless party photos on the timeline.

Every time you open a new thread the same pattern emerges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

His fiance might not know he is single.

He might announce a sudden reconciliation with her after a while. A handy get-out clause. Even though he loves you and you've had great fun but he just can't get over his ex and they're gonna give it another try and he'd be grateful if you don't tell anyone about what ye were up to over the past few weeks.

Sort of getting Ghost vibes from this guy. He hasn't really seemed to message as much this weekend, and not at all today.

Should I message tomorrow and ask are we still good for Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes, send a text. Send it this evening. Don't overthink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wow you are doing a real hatchet job on a guy you know absolutely nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The poor fella. He hasn't a clue what he's getting involved in.

@Dav010 and @lawred2 you have both been around PI long enough to know those sort of comments are not appropriate here.

Constructive, civil advice or don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Don't think it matters if he was engaged or not. People can get engaged after being together six months, some people aren't engaged after being together for ten years. You haven't even met him yet, there's nothing to stress about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

I think you need to be more laid back/less needy at the start of a relationship. Your giving off bunny boiler vibes. I wouldn't talk about past relationships on a first date, I'd try to keep the chat casual enough.

Advertisement